#76 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 23 September 2021 - 13:02

I have a Tom Ridenour clarinet, made of rubber. This always makes my friends snigger - they assume it will be all wibbly wobbly - but it just looks like a non shiny plastic or grenadilla.  I bought it for outside gigs, but I am not very enamoured of it...

#77 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:55

I have a Tom Ridenour clarinet, made of rubber. This always makes my friends snigger - they assume it will be all wibbly wobbly - but it just looks like a non shiny plastic or grenadilla. I bought it for outside gigs, but I am not very enamoured of it...

Interested : what is it about the TR clari that you don’t like?

#FreeTheCorenfaOne

#78 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 24 September 2021 - 14:58

Well, I used to go on the Clarinet BBoard (no longer) and the people there thought it was wonderful - reliable, good sound, reasonably priced etc. So I bought one (second hand of course). And I wasn't knocked sideways - perfectly OK, but nothing special. My technician (wonderful man) has the same opinion.  I wonder if it is because in the US they have so much more climate difficulty - too hot, too damp, too humid, too arid - whatever - and this clarinet is supposed to stand up to these changing conditions.

It could also be that I am used to Buffets and I think you get used to a certain make - I am not saying that Buffets are better than any other make of clarinet, but it's just what I have always played.

BTW did you really write your post at 5.55 in the morning? Early bird!

#79 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 18:13

Well, I used to go on the Clarinet BBoard (no longer) and the people there thought it was wonderful - reliable, good sound, reasonably priced etc. So I bought one (second hand of course). And I wasn't knocked sideways - perfectly OK, but nothing special. My technician (wonderful man) has the same opinion.  I wonder if it is because in the US they have so much more climate difficulty - too hot, too damp, too humid, too arid - whatever - and this clarinet is supposed to stand up to these changing conditions.

It could also be that I am used to Buffets and I think you get used to a certain make - I am not saying that Buffets are better than any other make of clarinet, but it's just what I have always played.

BTW did you really write your post at 5.55 in the morning? Early bird!

Ah - thanks Maruja. May try one, one day, just to satisfy my curiosity...

My commute is quite lengthy, 90 min plus, and I start early. It passes the time on the train :lol:

#FreeTheCorenfaOne

#80 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:47

Any clari teachers finding at the moment there is a chronic shortage of strength 1.5 Vandoren Juno reeds?!?

#FreeTheCorenfaOne

#81 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:39

Can I clarify some things about reed strength and mouthpiece opening?  Am I correct that a larger opening would make a reed seem harder?  And thus that the following are also correct:

•  a medium strength reed might feel soft on a mouthpiece with a relatively small tip opening, medium on a medium opening, and relatively hard on a large opening? 
  • if you have a mouthpiece with a large opening, a soft reed might play fairly well while a hard one would be a tough job
  • the very softest option would be a soft reed on a small opening; the hardest a hard reed on a large opening

I know there are other things like rail length and the geometry of the table that also make a difference, I'm not sure how though.

#82 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:09

Can I clarify some things about reed strength and mouthpiece opening? Am I correct that a larger opening would make a reed seem harder? And thus that the following are also correct:

• a medium strength reed might feel soft on a mouthpiece with a relatively small tip opening, medium on a medium opening, and relatively hard on a large opening?
  • if you have a mouthpiece with a large opening, a soft reed might play fairly well while a hard one would be a tough job
  • the very softest option would be a soft reed on a small opening; the hardest a hard reed on a large opening

I know there are other things like rail length and the geometry of the table that also make a difference, I'm not sure how though.

You are right in all your assumptions.
There is very little reason I can see that anyone would want or need to play on any reed harder than 3.5 - if you feel that necessity, it’s probably best to look at the mouthpiece you are using.

#83 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Yesterday, 16:48

Thanks for confirming that.

I had a saxophone when I was a teenager and, at the time, everyone seemed to think it was "cool" to use as hard a reed as possible.  I favour soft and gentle nowadays.

#84 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted Today, 07:41

Thanks for confirming that.

I had a saxophone when I was a teenager and, at the time, everyone seemed to think it was "cool" to use as hard a reed as possible. I favour soft and gentle nowadays.

There is still amongst students often a race to see how far up the ‘hardness charts’ they can get in reeds. It is massively misguided and I simply don’t allow any of my students to venture beyond 3.5 : there really is no need for harder in any circumstances.