Guest: Mad Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 June 2008 - 22:57

QUOTE(The Old Lady @ Jun 11 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

Big Dog eh? tongue.gif

Only a bit unsure.gif - But working on becoming Eagle Scout. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(The Old Lady @ Jun 11 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

I think I'm the Big Cat, but who is snhs?? Idelogue or Troglodyte??

Ferrous Cranus smile.gif
QUOTE(snhs @ Jun 11 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

.. trying to extrapolate conclusions from 30 people is insane

Well I guess we will all bow to your expert knowledge there. I expect insanity is something you know a lot about.

piano.gif Whoops - eagle scout would never have said that! Must try harder.

#137 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 23:04

I spoke to someone once who thought that Aberdeen was an area of Preston....
I know its not a big place, but it is the oil capital of Europe :s

#138 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:49

Apparently, some experts now believe education is too 'therapy' based.

...argue that this “therapeutic” approach to education is at odds with the acquisition of knowledge because it views the emotional skills associated with learning as more important than subject content or criticism".

http://www.timesonli...icle4116531.ece

#139 Guest: The Old Lady_*

Guest: The Old Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:26

I read the Ofsted report for my youngest daughter's school last night. I think there may be something in that, Maggie. It never fails to amaze Barry and I that children can't spell, use grammar correctly, and make themselves understood on paper.
When I have patients from the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses' admissions paperwork. ( In ITU we are mainly ancient laugh.gif ). These nurses have to have GCSE's, some of them have degrees. wacko.gif
I don't pretend to have perfect English, but can make myself understood.............usually smile.gif
Bev.

#140 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts
  • Member: 2939
  • Burwell, Cambridgeshire

Posted 13 June 2008 - 18:22

I went into my sons' school today where they were being taught about being a "creater" of stories.

Fortunately, and I knew that the teacher would take it away, when I said , "and do you want to me to point out your spelling mistake?" She took it exactly the the way I intended, and corrected it as if she was marking a pupil's work there and then on the white-board.

Now as you know, spelling is not my forte, but in a classroom situation I felt I could not keep quiet about that one!

I am pleased to report when they learn anything about a foreign country, a map of the world is used. This is a primary school, so the information is given from the year in which the children are 5 up. The village is twinned with another village close to Paris, year 3 students correspond, and know which area of France this is in.

Geography at this age is taught on a "need to know" basis, however this does mean if a huge news story does break, the children do know where in the world it is happening.

This I feel is a sane approach to Geography when the children are so young, as they move up the school, their geographical database improves as more 'pins' are put into their mental maps.

You may want to argue educational theory till the proverbial cows come home, but wouldn't be better to see what is going on in our primary and secondary schools before you pass judgement?
Jo

#141 Violinia

Violinia

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts
  • Member: 319

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:05

QUOTE(The Old Lady @ Jun 12 2008, 09:26 AM) View Post

I read the Ofsted report for the youngests' school last night. I think there may be something in that Maggie. It never fails to amaze Barry and I that children can't spell, use grammer correctly, and make themselves understood on paper.
When I have patients form the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses admission paperwork. ( In ITU we are mainly ancient laugh.gif ). These nurss have to have GCSE's, some of them have dergrees. wacko.gif
Bev.

Aaarrggghh!!!!

It never fails to amaze Barry and I that children can't spell, use grammer correctly, and make themselves understood on paper.
When I have patients form the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses admission paperwork.

AHEM!!!!!

Shouldn't you have written:

It never fails to amaze Barry and me that children can't spell, use grammar correctly and make themselves understood on paper.

When I have patients form (a typo, hopefully!) the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses' admission paperwork.

#142 Guest: DaisyChain_*

Guest: DaisyChain_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:18

QUOTE(Violinia @ Jun 13 2008, 10:05 PM) View Post

It never fails to amaze Barry and me

I would have said "Barry and I " too.. mellow.gif

#143 Violinia

Violinia

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:19

QUOTE(maggiemay @ Jun 12 2008, 08:49 AM) View Post

Apparently, some experts now believe education is too 'therapy' based.

...argue that this “therapeutic” approach to education is at odds with the acquisition of knowledge because it views the emotional skills associated with learning as more important than subject content or criticism".

http://www.timesonli...icle4116531.ece

Interesting article, but perhaps the authors of the report are forgetting or aren't aware of just how much damage used to be done by teachers telling pupils their work was 'utter rubbish', 'hopeless', 'a disgrace' or whatever. Whole lives can be ruined and a fragile confidence can be destroyed for ever by just one callous remark. That might sound dramatic but I know it to be true; I've lost count of the numbers of people who've told me they haven't dared sing a note for decades after a teacher told them their singing was terrible. Yes perhaps they should have been more robust, but some children just aren't, period.

I think the problem is that we've gone too far the other way. I admit myself to finding it hard to tell a pupil they played something really badly; I feel like saying it but a little warning voice tells me not to, so I couch it in a kinder way, and perhaps the message doesn't get through strongly enough at times. I say things like: 'hmm, I think you can do better than that,' or 'hmm, perhaps you could play that again but try to get those notes a bit more in tune,' etc. Is that too kind? Perhaps. On the other hand, I lost two pupils a few years back just like that when I told them off rather abruptly for not practising, so learnt to soften my approach; softly softly catchee de monkee maybe? Or have too many kids become so soft these days that a telling off sends them running for the hills whereas in the past they'd just toughen it out and improve as a result?

I don't know, and it's a good subject for debate.

#144 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:20

QUOTE(DaisyChain @ Jun 13 2008, 10:18 PM) View Post

You wouldn't have said, 'It never fails to amaze I' though, which I *think* is why!

#145 sarah123

sarah123

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6484 posts
  • Member: 13655
  • Cambridge

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:22

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jun 13 2008, 10:20 PM) View Post

You wouldn't have said, 'It never fails to amaze I' though, which I *think* is why!

agree.gif

is 'creater' spelled with an O? (i have a feeling i may have spelled spelled wrong wacko.gif)

#146 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:23

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jun 13 2008, 11:20 PM) View Post

That's right. If you want the grammatical rule: you say "Barry and I" if it is the subject of the verb and "Barry and me" if it is the object of the verb, so
"Barry and I are amazed at what is happening."
"It amazes Barry and me."

#147 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:25

QUOTE(sarah123 @ Jun 13 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jun 13 2008, 10:20 PM) View Post

agree.gif

is 'creater' spelled with an O? (i have a feeling i may have spelled spelled wrong wacko.gif)

yes, the word is "creator"

#148 Wobby

Wobby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4108 posts
  • Member: 2957
  • Leicestershire, East Midlands

Posted 13 June 2008 - 22:53

QUOTE(The Old Lady @ Jun 12 2008, 09:26 AM) View Post

I read the Ofsted report for the youngests' school last night. I think there may be something in that Maggie. It never fails to amaze Barry and I that children can't spell, use grammer correctly, and make themselves understood on paper.
When I have patients form the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses admission paperwork. ( In ITU we are mainly ancient laugh.gif ). These nurss have to have GCSE's, some of them have dergrees. wacko.gif
Bev.

Aaarrggghh!!!!

It never fails to amaze Barry and I that children can't spell, use grammer correctly, and make themselves understood on paper.
When I have patients form the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses admission paperwork.

AHEM!!!!!

Shouldn't you have written:

It never fails to amaze Barry and me that children can't spell, use grammar correctly and make themselves understood on paper.

When I have patients form (a typo, hopefully!) the ward, I sometimes despair at the awful English used in the ward nurses' admission paperwork.

Are you sure that it wasn't meant to be intentional - as a joke to indicate how badly the nurses write? I saw it too, but was fairly confident that she wouldn't have made that many mistakes (i.e. "youngests'", "Barry and I", "grammer", "form", "nurses", "These nurss have to have GCSE's, some of them have dergrees") by accident (at least I hope not, anyway wink.gif)! biggrin.gif

Rosemary is right - the 'leave out all other people' rule works as a good indicator for whether 'I' or 'me' should be used. Sometimes a little bit of amending of verb conjugation is needed too to fit with using solely the singular first person, though. smile.gif

~Wobby~

#149 BerkshireMum

BerkshireMum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6685 posts
  • Member: 13405
  • West Berks

Posted 13 June 2008 - 23:05

QUOTE(Violinia @ Jun 13 2008, 10:19 PM) View Post

I think the problem is that we've gone too far the other way. I admit myself to finding it hard to tell a pupil they played something really badly; I feel like saying it but a little warning voice tells me not to, so I couch it in a kinder way, and perhaps the message doesn't get through strongly enough at times. I say things like: 'hmm, I think you can do better than that,' or 'hmm, perhaps you could play that again but try to get those notes a bit more in tune,' etc. Is that too kind? Perhaps. On the other hand, I lost two pupils a few years back just like that when I told them off rather abruptly for not practising, so learnt to soften my approach; softly softly catchee de monkee maybe? Or have too many kids become so soft these days that a telling off sends them running for the hills whereas in the past they'd just toughen it out and improve as a result?

I don't know, and it's a good subject for debate.

I think my son's clarinet teacher has this right. If a pupil plays something really badly she will say, as you do, "I think you can do better than that - try again." But if it's just as bad the second time she will say, "That needs more work at home" in a tone that brooks no argument, and move on to something else.

I don't think kids respond well to being told off. They know quite well when they haven't practised, and if they've had a busy week they just feel resentful if you get cross. At the end of the day only they can decide whether or not to practise, and that's more likely to happen if you notice when they have worked on something, and praise them for it. The carrot is much better than the stick here, I think.

#150 Violinia

Violinia

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 23:13

QUOTE(Wobby @ Jun 13 2008, 11:53 PM) View Post

[Are you sure that it wasn't meant to be intentional - as a joke to indicate how badly the nurses write? I saw it too, but was fairly confident that she wouldn't have made that many mistakes (i.e. "youngests'", "Barry and I", "grammer", "form", "nurses", "These nurss have to have GCSE's, some of them have dergrees") by accident (at least I hope not, anyway wink.gif)! biggrin.gif

[/font][/size]~Wobby~

Oh gawd I think I fell for it! wacko.gif