Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6798 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:14

Having listened to two old favourites of mine in the same programme from The First Night of the Proms' on TV. Firstly we had Vaughan Williams 'Serenade to Music'  and then a magnificent performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto  (soloist Daniel Hyde from Kings College Cambridge) .  BBC SO conducted by the delightful Daria Stasevska.   

...and then there was part 2 on BBC4, and we turned off. Far too modern for me. :wacko:

#22952 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:27

I was just listening to Saint Saens' Aquarium on R3 with the glass harp, as scored. That was pretty fabulous.

I've bookmarked the CD for when I feel flush, but ordered a much cheaper 2-CD set, as I don't have any (or much) Saint Saens.

#22953 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18839 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 31 July 2021 - 15:10

Having listened to two old favourites of mine in the same programme from The First Night of the Proms' on TV. Firstly we had Vaughan Williams 'Serenade to Music'  and then a magnificent performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto  (soloist Daniel Hyde from Kings College Cambridge) .  BBC SO conducted by the delightful Daria Stasevska.   

...and then there was part 2 on BBC4, and we turned off. Far too modern for me. :wacko:

Actually I am a fan of much of Sir James MacMillans Music, but missed it as I broke for some dinner then listened to Sibelius  2nd Symphony, another one high in my list of favourites, having visited his Finnish home and stood at his desk.   My favourite MacMillan work is 'Veni Veni Emmanuel' , essentially a percussion concerto which I have heard live in both Royal Festival Hall, and the old Victoria Concert Hall in Singapore  (Both times played by Evelyn Glennie)

#22954 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted Yesterday, 09:19

Actually I am a fan of much of Sir James MacMillans Music, but missed it as I broke for some dinner then listened to Sibelius  2nd Symphony, another one high in my list of favourites, having visited his Finnish home and stood at his desk.   My favourite MacMillan work is 'Veni Veni Emmanuel' , essentially a percussion concerto which I have heard live in both Royal Festival Hall, and the old Victoria Concert Hall in Singapore  (Both times played by Evelyn Glennie)

Sibelius is a favourite of mine too. I didn't think to visit his home though when I was last in Finland and I doubt I'll stand at any desk other than my own now. He was an interesting character by all accounts and for me the music is divine. I even forgive him the violins. There are a few examples of his music being made available for the descant recorder but it doesn't really work. It needs the violins...