#22006 wendym

wendym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 899027

Posted 19 November 2020 - 15:26

I went to school to teach this morning and came home to find our brand new fibre optic broadband has kicked in (hurrah).  Speeds in my teaching room are about 40 times faster than yesterday, and in the front room with the router, 62 times faster.  Can't wait to test it out on my afternoon zoomers!  

(oh and this service is costing us £7 LESS per month than what we paid for the broadband when it was AWFUL)

#22007 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6478 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 November 2020 - 16:36

I can imagine that made you very happy, wendym! We are "supposed" to be on broadband as from last year...with the small snag that it's copper wire from our house to the green box half a mile away, so it's still slow!

#22008 wendym

wendym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 899027

Posted 19 November 2020 - 16:44

It has made me very happy - but again wonder why we took so long to do something about it - it took the crisis of not being able to do the online theory exam to shuffle it all up and make some complaining phone calls.  Haven't had much of a chance to test it out properly, but I've just done a zoom lesson where I could have an almost real time conversation with the child, and she could play scales that didn't look like some form of time warp zone!!  (i.e. the picture and the sound looked like one fluid thing, with no distortion and none of that silly stopping, slowing down, and then suddenly a 7 year old child can play a scale at grade 6 speed as the zoom forces it to catch up!)  Might just make this whole online teaching thing that tiny bit more bearable....  

#22009 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3454 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 19 November 2020 - 16:45

I went to school to teach this morning and came home to find our brand new fibre optic broadband has kicked in (hurrah). Speeds in my teaching room are about 40 times faster than yesterday, and in the front room with the router, 62 times faster. Can't wait to test it out on my afternoon zoomers!

(oh and this service is costing us £7 LESS per month than what we paid for the broadband when it was AWFUL)

Sounds brilliant!

Misterioso, we're still on copper to the box too, and although our speeds are usually acceptable they are not reliably so. It's a right pain.

#22010 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8462 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:26

Very glad to hear that Wendym and wish you good luck with your new connection. Don't know when we will get ours but it's nice to know progress is being made somewhere.

#22011 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14819 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 21 November 2020 - 22:55

An amazing meeting with fabulous people who are all working hard to support my new course :wub:

One sub-group - who named themselves Cyrilla's Angels - changed their zoom names for the meeting to Symphony, Melody, Rhapsody and Harmony  :D .

When I next looked at the screen, Bagpuss had become Lady Penelope and Splog had become Brains.

I love these people!

:wub:

#22012 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6623 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:49

OK so we're hybridising Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds... seems legit.... mmmm which character? 

#22013 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:05

Get the Rolls, Parker, we're going for a little ride.....

;) x

#22014 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6623 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 22 November 2020 - 13:29

Get the Rolls, Parker, we're going for a little ride.....

;) x

I had a suspicion that was the direction of travel... 

#22015 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5255 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 22 November 2020 - 14:36

Finished letter in French to elderly Swiss gentleman who was a career gardener and amateur mountaineer, and I've made a wildlife pond and a rock garden full of alpine plants this year, so was able to list a whole load of Latin named plants while avoiding having to think too hard about actual French grammar, and the letter content is right up his street. Bingo!  :)