thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:33

My grade 5 theory pupil scored 87% - so very pleased for him! That’s certainly made me very happy!

He must be thrilled! 

#20732 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 05 December 2019 - 20:20

I have just learned that my first piano teacher passed away last month. 

I thought she should have a mention on the forums:  she was, after all,  my very first music teacher. 

And it makes me very happy that she reached the wonderful old age of 107. 

She was still teaching, and singing in her church choir well into her nineties. What an innings :-) 

#20733 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:05

Earlier this week, I visited the town of Yingge, a center of ceramics manufacturing in Taiwan.  These days it is well-known for its ocarinas.  I was able to meet with an ocarina designer and (apparently famous in Taiwan) player.  He made these things sound great, while I struggle to get a stable note out of them!

My wife bought me a beautiful set of four locally-made ocarinas, Alto C, Soprano F, Soprano G, and Soprano C.  They come with a really nice metal carrying case.  These ocarinas are fully chromatic, but I wish they had a wider range.

#20734 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:16

Utterly self-indulgent black Friday purchase arrived: wooden music stand from the Early Music Shop.  Usually eye-wateringly expensive, but they were 75% off (so merely self-indulgently expensive) if you were prepared to take one in mismatched shades of walnut.  Extremely lovely (and all the better for being non-uniform, in my opinion!)

#20735 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7849 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:36

I thought she should have a mention on the forums:  she was, after all,  my very first music teacher. 

She was still teaching, and singing in her church choir well into her nineties. What an innings :-) 

That is the sort of news that makes one happy for the gift of that particular life, sad that it has now ended, proud to have been part of it and delighted that it lasted so long. We never forget those who have given us so much. It says a lot Maggie that you posted this in the Happy Thread.

#20736 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 06 December 2019 - 21:54

That is the sort of news that makes one happy for the gift of that particular life, sad that it has now ended, proud to have been part of it and delighted that it lasted so long. We never forget those who have given us so much. It says a lot Maggie that you posted this in the Happy Thread.

Yes, indeed, Aquarelle, and thank you for that beautifully expressed sequel to my post! 

#20737 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5998 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 09 December 2019 - 20:45

Oh joy - we are at last on fibre! What a difference a fast connection makes.  :)