thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:33

My grade 5 theory pupil scored 87% - so very pleased for him! That’s certainly made me very happy!

He must be thrilled! 

#20732 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19958 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 05 December 2019 - 20:20

I have just learned that my first piano teacher passed away last month. 

I thought she should have a mention on the forums:  she was, after all,  my very first music teacher. 

And it makes me very happy that she reached the wonderful old age of 107. 

She was still teaching, and singing in her church choir well into her nineties. What an innings :-) 

#20733 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:05

Earlier this week, I visited the town of Yingge, a center of ceramics manufacturing in Taiwan.  These days it is well-known for its ocarinas.  I was able to meet with an ocarina designer and (apparently famous in Taiwan) player.  He made these things sound great, while I struggle to get a stable note out of them!

My wife bought me a beautiful set of four locally-made ocarinas, Alto C, Soprano F, Soprano G, and Soprano C.  They come with a really nice metal carrying case.  These ocarinas are fully chromatic, but I wish they had a wider range.

#20734 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:16

Utterly self-indulgent black Friday purchase arrived: wooden music stand from the Early Music Shop.  Usually eye-wateringly expensive, but they were 75% off (so merely self-indulgently expensive) if you were prepared to take one in mismatched shades of walnut.  Extremely lovely (and all the better for being non-uniform, in my opinion!)

#20735 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:36

I thought she should have a mention on the forums:  she was, after all,  my very first music teacher. 

She was still teaching, and singing in her church choir well into her nineties. What an innings :-) 

That is the sort of news that makes one happy for the gift of that particular life, sad that it has now ended, proud to have been part of it and delighted that it lasted so long. We never forget those who have given us so much. It says a lot Maggie that you posted this in the Happy Thread.

#20736 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19958 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 06 December 2019 - 21:54

That is the sort of news that makes one happy for the gift of that particular life, sad that it has now ended, proud to have been part of it and delighted that it lasted so long. We never forget those who have given us so much. It says a lot Maggie that you posted this in the Happy Thread.

Yes, indeed, Aquarelle, and thank you for that beautifully expressed sequel to my post! 

#20737 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6003 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 09 December 2019 - 20:45

Oh joy - we are at last on fibre! What a difference a fast connection makes.  :)

#20738 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 12 December 2019 - 15:44

Receiving a message out of the blue from my French conversation teacher, who taught me back when I lived in Canada. I moved back to the UK 6 years ago so it's nice to hear from her occasionally.

Also getting a new pair of specs. I can see everything! I've worn them for about 3 hours now and the new-ness is starting to recede. I have ordered 2 pairs, but there was a lens problem with one of them so they are to be re-done.

#20739 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:22

Receiving a message out of the blue from my French conversation teacher, who taught me back when I lived in Canada. I moved back to the UK 6 years ago so it's nice to hear from her occasionally.

This is the weirdest coincidence! I'm thinking of studying in Canada and I can get by in "France French" but have heard that Canadian French is different. I've been wondering whether I should just take some standard French top up classes, or find a specific Canadian French speaker. I'd be really grateful for your opinion! 

#20740 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:36

This is the weirdest coincidence! I'm thinking of studying in Canada and I can get by in "France French" but have heard that Canadian French is different. I've been wondering whether I should just take some standard French top up classes, or find a specific Canadian French speaker. I'd be really grateful for your opinion! 

Hi Invidia, that's great! Are you looking to study in Quebec? Outside of Quebec (and Ottawa which is bilingual because of being the capital), most places are strongly anglophone except parts of Atlantic Canada.

If you do choose to study in a Francophone area, your best option is to do a bit of top-up study when you are there. I took evening classes as well as conversation, and the textbooks/material were Canadian published. You'll generally be fine, but there are some major differences - the main one (if you are food-focused like me!) being that lunch is 'diner' and dinner (evening meal) is 'souper'. Also 'courriel'  - amalgamation of 'courrier electronique' for email is much more common than 'e-mail'. Pronunciation is more different than words.  

If you can, try watching/listening to Radio-Canada online - https://ici.radio-canada.ca/. Also newspapers such as La Presse which is the nearest French language national newspaper to e.g. The Globe and Mail. There are some regional French newspapers as well. At one point I had a subscription to L'actualite https://lactualite.com/ - which is fortnightly (I think!) news/current affairs magazine.

I am getting nostalgic writing this... 

#20741 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 13 December 2019 - 22:07

Just watched the finals of a TV choir competition. It was lovely to see the great variety of choirs, all ages, all amateurs, no choir schools. The final five were a mixed youth choir, a male choir of mature age, a women's choir and two mixed choirs. The standard of singing and harmonisation was superb and the presentation so convincing. Interestingly, the choirs who made it to the final were not the ones that were heavily choeographed. They were distinguished by enormous intensity and expressive demeanour whether singing upbeat or pianissimo. A lovely treat!

#20742 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted Yesterday, 06:32

I love Christmas music (even though I'm not Christian) and I have finally reached a level of competence on piano that I can play most of the stuff I want to play and haven't been able to till now.

#20743 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted Yesterday, 12:52

Hi Invidia, that's great! Are you looking to study in Quebec? Outside of Quebec (and Ottawa which is bilingual because of being the capital), most places are strongly anglophone except parts of Atlantic Canada.

If you do choose to study in a Francophone area, your best option is to do a bit of top-up study when you are there. I took evening classes as well as conversation, and the textbooks/material were Canadian published. You'll generally be fine, but there are some major differences - the main one (if you are food-focused like me!) being that lunch is 'diner' and dinner (evening meal) is 'souper'. Also 'courriel'  - amalgamation of 'courrier electronique' for email is much more common than 'e-mail'. Pronunciation is more different than words.  

If you can, try watching/listening to Radio-Canada online - https://ici.radio-canada.ca/. Also newspapers such as La Presse which is the nearest French language national newspaper to e.g. The Globe and Mail. There are some regional French newspapers as well. At one point I had a subscription to L'actualite https://lactualite.com/ - which is fortnightly (I think!) news/current affairs magazine.

I am getting nostalgic writing this... 

I'm still doing my research as to the best program/location, but my field is Indigenous Studies so there's literature in both languages.

Thank you so much for your insights. I'll get myself onto a top-up course (there's a local one starting in Jan) and look at those links to see how my reading/listening skills are these days.

What were you doing when you lived over there? I'm assuming you lived in Quebec?

#20744 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17685 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted Yesterday, 18:40

Performing Beethoven at Liverpool piano group.  I had missed last three meetings due to my cardiac op, and I got a really warm friendly welcome from the other participants.