• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 17 December 2018 - 23:07

1) Seeing two friends I haven't seen for a while

2) Having Bagpuss round

3) Feeling very proud of said Small Sibling with her distinction in her events management course :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's taken her over a year of getting up at Silly O'clock and being ensconced with her laptop by 5.45am.    She has worked her SOCKS off and got an A grade for every assignment (perfectionist MUCH!).

:wub: :wub: :wub:

#20102 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:07

Well done Bagpuss - congratulations and applause.clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

#20103 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 December 2018 - 20:26

Well, it was yesterday actually but I was too exhausted to post. We have now done the Christmas Celebration and it was - dare I say it - brilliant! I can't believe that we got through it without a single hitch. Even the angel Gabriel (see Random thread) finished his daily temper tantrum before the parish priest arrived! The children reading the script did so with lots of expression and passed the microphones from one to another without dropping them. The nursery class did their sheep act on all fours with the shepherds realistically chasing them back into  their fold. The half that were not sheep were little angels and they danced beautifully and the choir, who had to sing while the angels danced, actually watched me and not them. Gabriel, the Three Kings and their camels and the Guiding Star all made their entries in time to the music and in a dignified manner. Mary and Joseph and the innkeeper mimed their parts very clearly. The recorder players were careful with their D's and F sharps Best of all from my point of view was the singing which was enthusiastic, rhythmic and only rarely a little flat. They nearly brought tears to my eyes when we got to the last note of the last song. Every child in the choir was watching me and they held the note  steadily to the end. And then there was this big, communal smile! 

There are times when this teaching business gets one down - I have my irritable and despairing  days and sometimes think it isn't worth the bother. And then you get a day like yesterday and you think there couldn't be a nicer way to earn your living.

#20104 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:11

@Aquarelle - well done to all of you and it's wonderful that everyone had a good time. It's how it's meant to be and as you say - makes it worth the effort!

#20105 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:05

Having decided to take violin lessons again l have found a teacher who sounds ideal and very nice as well. Heard from her today. She is happy to take me on and not only that, but she says she has had to overcome the small hands problem herself. Icing on the cake! Will have my first violin lesson (after about 40 years) in a couple of weeks so I am quite excited about that. :)

#20106 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 22 December 2018 - 21:24

Hearing some of my son's organ practice this afternoon and thinking how much progress he's made since last year.  A year ago he played beautifully for a carol service; but lacked the confidence to add pedals.  This year he's comfortably doing the different organ parts for the last two verses of O Come all ye Faithful for Christmas morning.  I was commenting how lovely things were every time he stopped - which irritated him because "stop telling me it's good when it's all going so much worse than yesterday" ...  I understand his practice settled down once I left him to it!

I am going to try recording a little of his playing tomorrow afternoon to send to his grandparents overseas.

#20107 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4904 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 December 2018 - 23:24

Being able to get into, and easily zip up, a pair of trousers that haven't fit me in 3 years.
Most satisfying.

#20108 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 24 December 2018 - 00:06

Having Bag help me with Operation Clear Out of my disgusting house sad.png.

Well, we've done my wardrobes - result Bag 1, War Drobe 0 and Cyrilla sitting weeping in a corner sleep.png.   The charity shop won't know where to put the six huge bin bags full of fat clothes and giant shoes unsure.pngunsure.pngunsure.png.

A corner of my study that has been festering probably since I moved here in 2001 was excavated - yielding several interesting newspaper and magazine articles from the 1980s (including one predicting a long and happy marriage for Charles and Di blink.png).

Mind you, the photos of a young David Essex and Robert Redford were quite pleasing to find.

I also found poems I'd written between the ages of 16 and 18.   Teenage angst and introspection MUCH ohmy.png.

#20109 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6570 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:15

Being able to get into, and easily zip up, a pair of trousers that haven't fit me in 3 years.
Most satisfying.

Having Bag help me with Operation Clear Out of my disgusting house sad.png.

Well, we've done my wardrobes - result Bag 1, War Drobe 0 and Cyrilla sitting weeping in a corner sleep.png.   The charity shop won't know where to put the six huge bin bags full of fat clothes and giant shoes unsure.pngunsure.pngunsure.png.

A corner of my study that has been festering probably since I moved here in 2001 was excavated - yielding several interesting newspaper and magazine articles from the 1980s (including one predicting a long and happy marriage for Charles and Di blink.png).

Mind you, the photos of a young David Essex and Robert Redford were quite pleasing to find.

I also found poems I'd written between the ages of 16 and 18.   Teenage angst and introspection MUCH ohmy.png.

The juxtaposition of these two quotes is very interesting!!  I have lots of clothes I can now get in to (once again, after many years) and happily the styles are now coming round again.  So I'm a bit reluctant to indulge in too much of the clearing out that Bag has done for C, but I'd be interested in Bag's rates for assisting clearing out!! rofl.gif  Would she be happy to be paid in mince pies, or wine perhaps .... ?! rofl.gif  xmas_tree.gif xmas_wreath.gif xmas_rudolph.gif   (Sorry, bit too much Christmas spirit, hic!)

#20110 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:39

I've paid in singing lessons before

#20111 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6570 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:07

Sadly my skills don't extend to singing lessons! Sewing perhaps, though I suspect Bag's sewing skills are as good as mine!

#20112 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2812 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:10

We've been tidying this term. The cellar is fuller than when we started so that was a complete and utter failure.

#20113 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5957 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:55

Something very furry and snuggly has just arrived in the post....

smile.png wub.png woot.gif

#20114 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 December 2018 - 13:40

Not living presumably!

#20115 Misterioso