Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Member: 16028
  • The middle of nowhere

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:43

Hi,

I was just browsing and came across this thread and thought that some of you might be interested in a programme I found. It is for learning any vocabulary and I have found it useful for both theory terms and Greek.

It is free to download from http://www.zeniko.ch...c/vocabone.html

Basically, you need to type in the words and their meanings. Then you can test yourself and it will show you a word and you need to type in the meaning and it will show if it is correct or not. You can also set it to have a number of 'boxes' so that once you get a word correct twice (I think you can change the number) it moves up to the next 'box' and if you get it wrong it moves down one.

I have found it really helpful so thought I would post the link here in case anyone else wanted to try it out. P.s. remember to save the words you enter and your progress!

Moose

#32 cruiser

cruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 899786
  • Dorset

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:58

Make up a little silly story or an image to go with the words, if you use your associative memory they'll stick much better.

For example, pauken is timpani, so one could imagine a pig sat playing timpani; or perhaps pork being barbequed on said instrument. Rascher is faster, so maybe a rasher of bacon has grown legs and is running faster and faster. The sillier the stories and more vivid the images the better for remembering (and of course, the more entertaining the learning of the terms is ).

More obscure ones with less direct images can be trickier to memorise, it's a case of twisting things the way your mind works: beweget for example, when I see that I think of bewedded, and imagine a married couple getting very agitated in a row with each other: and agitated is what the AB say this term means. That analogy may not work for you, it's best if you create something yourself as you're more likely to remember the link, and try to avoid getting the analogy to be too obscure. Forum members choosing these names helps us to: we could imagine andante_in_c going out for a walk, for examle, to remember the meaning of andante.

If one can spot word roots that's a great way of working out what words mean too .

One can have quite good fun inventing silly ways of remembering terms, and they do stick (you can even use rude ones if you like as you don't have to tell them to anyone ). Thinking of silly ways of remembering terms might even be an interesting thread .

Thanks, but being a vegan, I'll find other associations for 'pauken' etc.!  :)

#33 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 09 July 2020 - 15:02

oooooh, I had to stop reading quick-like! Years ago, Edward de Bono was producing books teaching people to have super memories by various word-association tricks. I heard an interview, I think, or read some mini-thing of his, which gave some example of remembering something by thinking of a pair of pliers on a beach. To this day I can remember the pair of pliers, but I have no idea what it was it was supposed to remind me of. That set me thinking, all those years ago, about how many of my (limited) brain cells would end up remembering images of things that I'd forgotten the point of, because the image was more memorable than the idea. It probably works for a lot of people, but my wobbly brain defeated Edward's best efforts, and I resigned myself to a life of forgetting the things my head wants to forget...

Unfortunately music theory terms are fairly high on the forget-list, but we live in a world of Google, and faced with Adagio con constipatio, one can always do a search