barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:26

.....and you still very much want that soprano sax, don't you skylark... muahaha.gif

#3 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:29

Get thee behind me etc, you wicked man trying to tempt me away from my clari laugh.gif

#4 Scaramouche

Scaramouche

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Member: 10322

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:31

QUOTE(skylark @ Jul 17 2007, 08:29 AM) View Post

Get thee behind me

blink.gif.

I would like a soprano or a tenor, or a bari or perhaps a bass or even a contrabass. Any one would do actually.

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:37

Get thee behind me etc, you wicked man trying to tempt me away from my clari laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Now, you know I never tempt people away from clarinets wink.gif ...my reputation in this area I believe is largely based around encouraging most of the forum to play the clarinet, 'cos it's good... laugh.gif

I have been known to perform in sax quartets before now : has anyone else here done so?

#6 SaxFan

SaxFan

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • Member: 4322
  • Norfolk, England

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:15

QUOTE(Scaramouche @ Jul 17 2007, 08:31 AM) View Post

Get thee behind me

blink.gif.

I would like a soprano or a tenor, or a bari or perhaps a bass or even a contrabass. Any one would do actually.

I presume you mean saxophones rather than choristers ? biggrin.gif
I guess if you meant choristers you would have put "anyone would do.." blink.gif

wonder what a contrabass singer looks like - Chalyapin or Boris Christoff maybe?

#7 magicflute

magicflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Member: 9114
  • Cornwall

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:48

I'd like a soprano or tenor too! But no biggeer please - it might squash me!

#8 saxophone-sue

saxophone-sue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Member: 6082
  • Oxfordshire

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:13

Wow
Just think what sort of size case you'd need to carry that thing in! And what size arm muscles!

#9 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:30

*Searchs computer*

IPB Image

Subcontrabass biggrin.gif

#10 Guest: jennthesaxplayer_*

Guest: jennthesaxplayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:40

WOW THEY ARE HUGE THESE SAXES!!! I would proberly faint if I even attempted to play one of these! blink.gif

#11 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:02

eek.gif laugh.gif

Look where the mouthpiece is! You'd need a stepladder to get up to it biggrin.gif

#12 BenC

BenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 12941

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:10

They are really crazy instruments. The woman who plays the Tubax in the National Saxophone Choir isn't all that big, and she seems to manage.

The sound of the contrabass is amazing!

QUOTE(barry-clari)
I have been known to perform in sax quartets before now : has anyone else here done so?

Hi, yeh, I play in a sax quartet (sometimes a sextet!), although we'll be breaking up soon as we're all off to university or college. It really is one of my favourite types of ensemble to play in - I think really valuable lessons are learnt, and your ears certainly develop a lot. There's so much great music out there for sax 4tet as well.

Never mind the case, what size of car would be needed to transport it not to mention a lot of breath!

Lol. This is an even bigger problem than most people imagine. Even a baritone won't fit into the boot of my car - it has to go across the back seats, not leaving much room for passengers wink.gif.

Can you imagine going along to the local car dealership with your saxophone to make sure you can fit it in the car?!

#13 SaxFan

SaxFan

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • Member: 4322
  • Norfolk, England

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:20

QUOTE(BenC @ Jul 17 2007, 11:10 AM) View Post

Can you imagine going along to the local car dealership with your saxophone to make sure you can fit it in the car?!

a car only has to be big enough for whatever saxes you have to transport, an overnight bag and a girlfriend, surely mellow.gif

#14 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:11

With something that size do you have to actually play a beat behind everyone else to give the sound time to get all the way out after you play the note?
I remember when we have a bass clarinet for a short while at orchestra that the conductor had to tell the player to start playing soon enough for the sound to get out at the right time.

#15 TSax

TSax

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts
  • Member: 5567

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:50

At the sax course in Woldingham Rob and Andy bring the bass sax from the RNCM with them. I've tried playing it, it's surprisingly easy to blow, but my hands are quite small and aren't really big enough to reach round it without fouling the palm keys / side keys.

On the jazz night last year we had a couple of special guests, one who was persuaded to come down partly so he could have a play with the bass. He ended up soloing on it in the jazz group - sounded great. I've got some photos at home, but I'm at my parents at the moment. I'll try and remember to post a couple when I get back.