#4771 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:42

That's beautiful elemimele, thanks for posting the link.

#4772 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6926 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 18 January 2022 - 17:29

Yes, stunning playing.

Um....are you sure it has something to do with shaving....or rather, not shaving? :unsure:

#4773 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 18 January 2022 - 21:29

Oh, I'm beginning to develop theories of facial hair and music. It comes from a nearby piano thread, which strayed into harpsichord, where we ended up contrasting Wanda Landowska with Jean Rondeau. In harpsichord music there is a clear correlation between improved quality of interpretation and development of extensive facial hair. This honestly has nothing to do with the fact I've got  this friend of mine (honestly) has a massive complex about the fact other men look cool, rough, and manly when they don't shave, while he just looks like he forgot to shave, and people chuck 10p in his coffee cup if he puts it down for a moment. Nothing to do with that at all. Or me.

Back to normal: Alon Sariel is an interesting chap who's done lovely stuff with mandolin and lute/theorbo for a long time, and has periodically appeared with various recorder players too, and did a lovely Bach organ sonata a long time ago. And Bach's trio sonatas for organ have been performed by various recorder-combinations, and work very nicely. I love them on organ, but have since found things like Marion Verbruggen's version, which is special not only because of the outstanding recorder playing (what else would one expect) but also for the extreme clarity and quality of the harpsichordist. (who does have quite a lot of hair...)

#4774 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 18 January 2022 - 22:50

If it's any help to, er, your friend, elemimele, as a female I think that men who don't shave just look like they forgot to shave. Nothing cool or rough or manly about that, IMO. Just my 2c as an internet stranger!