#4696 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Today, 10:20

if you could measure, I would be very grateful!

No problem at all!  The spacings are:

1-2 = 32mm

2-3 = 30mm

4-5 = 36mm

5-6 = 25mm

6-7 = 31mm

They are centre to centre of hole, as accurately as I can manage, and with the bottom holes not rotated around.  The thumb hole is about 9mm north of hole 1.

#4697 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted Today, 11:27

You are a star - thanks so much. I will compare with the 209E...

M

#4698 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted Today, 11:43

Just had a quick measure of the Aulos 209E and I think the spacings are further apart than your measurements. This is good news!  I will struggle a bit for the moment and maybe the hand will stretch (they do, don't they?). And as I said previously, I can upgrade if I decide I like it.  I do like the descant,but I am in a group of about 20 and most people seem to have ditched the descant for the other recorders - as a result, there are only two experienced descant players, one of whom does not come regularly and so I have been pitched into playing that top line and sometimes taking over whole responsibility for the melody. This is a bit scary as I have not been playing that long. So I am not sure if I want to be so exposed in the future. We will see. 

Misterioso, I did work with the Brian Bonsor book and one or two others (Dolmetsch, I think) and then I plunged in on my own. I play clarinet, so some of the techniques are similar and I knew what sort of effect I wanted.  But we had a very good youngish conductor come on Wednesday and he took me out of my comfort zone by insisting on musicality rather than just accurate notes and rhythm. And I am at the stage where if I get these right, I am happy.  So that was a bit of a baptism of fire. But as a result, I have been trying to go more for musicality and I am recording myself on the phone. That soon shows up where I need to improve. But it's a brand new world out there, isn't it? Although the clarinet is an orchestral instrument, it hasn't been around that long in comparison with the recorder and so there isn't that much accessible repertoire. I have been astonished at the abundance of the recorder world!

#4699 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Today, 12:49

now that I am beginning to collect recorders (2 gifts from the same friend) I am looking for a reasonably priced stand - I was a bit shocked at the price of the one I saw at the Early Music Shop. I could try and get my husband to make one - they just look like dowels in a square piece of wood - but it would take a long time!

I bought a K&M peg base and some flute pegs and they work fine - you can get the pegs in different sizes so can deal with everything from a soprano to a wide bore tenor.  Because I bought them in dribs and drabs it wasn't too much money at one go, though if you bought the whole lot at once I suppose it would be expensive enough.  The stand officially takes 4 pegs but I use one in place of the centre bolt so that's 5 - I think it would be easy enough to drill a few extra holes in the legs and add more pegs, but 5 plus one on music stand is enough for me.  (I have to admit to having slightly more recorders than that, but the ones I rarely play just live in their cases.)  I got all of them from Thomann but they seem to be substantially more expensive elsewhere, and only really work from Thomann if you are buying something else that qualifies for free postage.  Anyway, for interest's sake:

https://www.thomann...._for_4_pegs.htm

https://www.thomann....te_peg_18mm.htm

https://www.thomann....ute_peg_9mm.htm

https://www.thomann....te_peg_65mm.htm

However, this https://www.amazon.c...34301133&sr=8-9 and some dowels would work as well for a fraction of the price.

You are a star - thanks so much. I will compare with the 209E...

M

Honestly, no problem - it took me all of 2 minutes!

#4700 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted Today, 15:38

Thank you for all that info!  Tomorrow we have a fair in Buckingham and I am hoping that Men in Sheds will be there - they make wooden bits and pieces and I have bought some boot holders in the past (same idea!) - I think I might commission them!

#4701 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted Today, 16:43

Just compared the Zen-on with the Haka. The Zen-on is smaller (a bit) and feels less chunky to handle. Actually, my fingers fit fairly well on it. My problem is a slight deformity on my right hand little finger - it's a tad shorter than it needs to be. I've just asked my husband to measure the Zen-on. I bought it before the Haka because I was worried about reaching the holes. In my case, I'm pretty sure that part of the problem was poor technique so as I got better at playing so it didn't seem so awkward. I had similar problems with the descant to start with. However, I really like my descant Haka so got the treble to match.

1-2 = 2.75mm

2-3 = 3.30mm

3-4 = 3.40mm

4-5 = 3.05mm

5-6 = 2.80mm

6-7 = 2.65mm

Enjoy the fair!!!!!