#4561 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 10 May 2021 - 19:08

Oddly enough, I'll be painting the ceiling too as soon as I've finished my lunch - what interesting lives we all lead :) Luckily not too big a job as I really dislike painting ceilings. I did about 2/3 of it as a lockdown activity a while ago but ran out of paint and have only recently been able to get back to the shop to get some more (it was an own brand paint so I had to go back to the same shop to get the same colour). I've actually got used to the two-tone effect but it's a wet afternoon so what else could I do that would be as much fun??

And just think, once you've finished you'll be able to watch the paint dry!

That's the best part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is indeed by far the best part!

After admiring my painting for a while, I moved on to practising scales.  What an afternoon!

#4562 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:45

Oddly enough, I'll be painting the ceiling too as soon as I've finished my lunch - what interesting lives we all lead :) Luckily not too big a job as I really dislike painting ceilings. I did about 2/3 of it as a lockdown activity a while ago but ran out of paint and have only recently been able to get back to the shop to get some more (it was an own brand paint so I had to go back to the same shop to get the same colour). I've actually got used to the two-tone effect but it's a wet afternoon so what else could I do that would be as much fun??

:D :D :D

#4563 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:47

It is indeed by far the best part!

After admiring my painting for a while, I moved on to practising scales. What an afternoon!
You are living the high life. I don't think I could stand such excitement! :D

#4564 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:04

I did have to have a lie down afterwards!

Actually, I've got more enthusiastic about scales recently, partly because Mrs G says she has noticed some improvement in my playing since I took to doing more scales (and exercises in general).  I've just been doing a mix of upper register and awkward scales.  The "worst" is E-flat (on a tenor).  Bottom Eb is an absolutely ghastly note, there are loads of cross fingerings, and I'm rubbish at the uppermost notes because I don't use them much, so they never get any better.  My keyed tenor can do a full 2 octave scale for Eb but I'm slow and inaccurate once I get beyond high C, so I'm doing lots of D, Eb and E scales.  In theory it can manage up to G but I haven't got there yet, not sure how much value there is in it.  Being able to reach E seems like a winner though because it makes the Bach A minor partita (BWV 1013, the one everyone plays) accessible in the original key.  I say accessible.... :)

#4565 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted Yesterday, 08:56

I did have to have a lie down afterwards!

And ceilings are more easily appreciated from a prone position - saves stretching your neck.

Actually, I've got more enthusiastic about scales recently, partly because Mrs G says she has noticed some improvement in my playing since I took to doing more scales (and exercises in general).  I've just been doing a mix of upper register and awkward scales.  The "worst" is E-flat (on a tenor).  Bottom Eb is an absolutely ghastly note, there are loads of cross fingerings, and I'm rubbish at the uppermost notes because I don't use them much, so they never get any better.  My keyed tenor can do a full 2 octave scale for Eb but I'm slow and inaccurate once I get beyond high C, so I'm doing lots of D, Eb and E scales.  In theory it can manage up to G but I haven't got there yet, not sure how much value there is in it.  Being able to reach E seems like a winner though because it makes the Bach A minor partita (BWV 1013, the one everyone plays) accessible in the original key.  I say accessible.... :)

Some of the dexterity exercises are good for that and some are quite melodic. I quite like Rooda's little book and there are some pieces dotted in there that work on tricky fingering. My right hand has never recovered properly after my 'handstand' several years ago, so when I play fast it will put in a little extra note from mid D#. There are a couple of other places it can be unreliable but that's the main one. It's really annoying and no manner of dexterity exercises has cured it. If I ever try for another exam I'll need a note from the doctor to excuse me the 'grace note' in Bach's Rondeau from Suite No 2... :lol:

#4566 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Yesterday, 10:31

OaG, you mean playing the A-minor partita in A-minor on a C instrument, so that it's range is D upwards? Honestly, you're setting yourself a very, very hard task. Even the professionals don't do that. They all transcribe it down a note from your perspective, so they're using the two-octaves-and-a-note normal range of the recorder (except for the ridiculously high note at the end, which is a dilemma, because if it sounds horribly forced on a recorder, then it might not be achieving the effect that Bach had in mind on a flute, or a particularly beautiful effect; I think Sarah Jeffery, certainly someone of her level, has suggested that it's reasonable to play that note lower if you/your instrument can't play it high without it being horrible). It's amazing how much easier things are, just shifting that one tone downwards.

Given how much flute music starts at D, I think a lot of good players become rather proficient at transposing so that D becomes the lowest note on the instrument. If you play an F-instrument, there's an easy trick: pretend the music is written on the bass clef, and add three flats. The professionals, of course, can combine this with playing on a voice-flute with lowest note D, which then means they are indeed playing in the original key, without having to do anything clever. The only downside is the price of voice-flutes...

#4567 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:40

OaG, you mean playing the A-minor partita in A-minor on a C instrument, so that it's range is D upwards? Honestly, you're setting yourself a very, very hard task. Even the professionals don't do that.

Yes, that was what I had in mind.  Maybe I should have a re-think.  It seemed to be something of a swings-and-roundabouts issue when I looked at it: stay with the original key and have to deal with more (horrible) high notes, or go for the G minor version and have to deal with G minor.  It's potentially the first part, the Allemande, that is the killer as it has a fair number of high E's (I've just scanned the whole thing quickly and I don't think there are any further E's - there's a D# somewhere but otherwise nothing higher than a D).  I have not tried the Allemande, I'm really not up to that standard.  The last part, the BourrĂ©e Anglaise, is a Grade 8 piece and I thought I would start there.  The highest note, sticking with A minor, is a D which is ok, but of course commits me to the Es at some point in the future.  I dithered over it for quite a while.  In the end, I thought: I have paid quite a lot of money for a recorder that Moeck make a point about it being suitable for playing baroque flute repertoire in the original key, so if I'm not going to try, I might as well not have bought the thing.  Anyway, the current state of play is that while I wouldn't win any performance prizes for it I can play the BourrĂ©e Anglaise reasonably well in A minor, and I'm working on the high notes with the idea/hope that I will be reasonably good at them by the time I get to the Allemande.  Fingers crossed.  I can always give up and return to G minor I suppose, though I always find trying to play something in a different key than the one I'm used to incredibly difficult.  Sigh!

#4568 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Yesterday, 21:33

Well, if Moeck say their instrument is up to it, then maybe you're in a good position! But in any case, those are hard pieces. If you can play them in any key you're doing well! They're beautiful though.

It'd be really nice if one of the big manufacturers did start making a reasonably-priced instrument in D, though. There's no reason why they should be exorbitant, except lack of demand, and that's a chicken-and-egg situation. If they cost the earth, there won't be the demand for it to be worth making enough for the price to come down.

#4569 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10869 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted Today, 08:15

I have a voice flute in baroque pitch which really wasn't much more expensive than a tenor recorder of the same quality. I don't play it enough, to be honest, although I bought it for exactly the reasons we're talking about: so I could play my solo flute repertoire in the original key, rather than the treble recorder transpositions (especially as I dislike buying the same pieces again when I already have the flute versions).

The main problem is playing the top D# as the recorder is too long when I'm sitting down. The first time I tried it I nearly knocked my teeth out.  :unsure:  :o