#4441 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 22 February 2021 - 15:36

... and I really do find the 2nd octave C#/C trill on an alto shepherd's pie quite difficult. Of course it's easier on frozen than a hand-made, where you might have to experiment with different fingerings. 

#4442 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 22 February 2021 - 15:38

Gudrun Heyens has exercises for balancing the recorder. Her audience is definitely children but I have no problems being that childlike so found them fun. I think you'll like Brian Bonsor's book. It has a good mix of music and he has some really good memory squares for helping to reinforce the treble fingering. He has a gentle sense of humour and an interesting way of teaching the treble - it builds on the descant. Gudrun Heyens does the same thing but with a different approach. Brian is aimed at adults.

I'm with OaG - re for me the recorder is fun! And my hearing isn't a patch on what it was so like Maizie mine would likely have to be a long way off before I started to complain! If I bothered to think about it, I'd get upset... so I don't do that. As long as the instrument is in tune with itself, I don't worry. In any case, the recorder is very very easy to get out of tune either because it does that itself or the player doesn't breath hard enough or soft enough or whatever. Or the weather is wrong. Or it's Thursday. It's just how it is. If I'm feeling curious I run an electronic tuner on it and test how close I am to the 'right' note - especially when it's a new note. Or if I think I'm off key but I don't obsess over it - that way lies exasperation/despair/obsession etc etc - all things I don't do. :lol: I think professional players compensate either by fingering or breath control but they've spent their lives doing that. I spent mine doing something else and I know for certain that if they tried to do what I used to do they'd make a mess of it... So, I'm not aiming for the Albert Hall or wherever. I just want to play some nice tunes... Roughly in tune. No one here complains if it's not perfect. The dog sings along with the treble but not the descant. I have no idea what that implies.

Norway, everyone can have off-moments. The trick is to dismiss them as aberration! :lol:

#4443 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5438 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 22 February 2021 - 15:53

I'm leaving you proper recorder players to it before I lead you all astray with flippancy and off topic-ness... sorry, sorry.....

#4444 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 February 2021 - 16:06

I don't think anyone could lead us even more astray than we already are...

Now I can't get the image of trying different fingerings on a frozen shepherds pie out of my head.

#4445 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 17:11

... I'm still curious, if you drop frozen shepherd's pie, does it shatter?

(on-topic: I'd never be ashamed of using Gudrun Heyens' books. She may be writing for children, but she's writing for children with the serious intention of becoming very good recorder players. She dresses her didactic style in a friendly manner, but under the pictures and attractiveness, it's thorough and quite demanding. My only concern with her books is that they aren't very self-help).

#4446 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 22 February 2021 - 17:58

I agree over Heyen's book. I really wish I'd got the descant version. The treble book is a delight. She has little tasks to do away from the recorder. She constantly reminds you to compare the two which seems counter-productive if you've found the shift difficult but it really works. I think you have to be at the 'stage' with the descant for it to work and a good teacher would recognise that. As I was teaching myself when I first tried the shift, it didn't work but now the treble is coming along in leaps and bounds and my husband says my descant playing has become more confident. It's been a revelation this time round. Heyens makes you swap between the two and to start with I was very reluctant to do that but now I cheerfully play things on the descant and swap to the treble and vice versa. I'll also try out a rhythm on the descant because I don't have to concentrate on fingering... rhythm is my bĂȘte noire! I do like a variety of tutor books though because I like going over things in different ways. And tutor books (the good ones) come with a plan so you don't have to figure out where to go next. I must admit I do like someone coming along with a plan! It's one of the many, many things I miss about having a teacher.

Re Shepherd's Pie - it probably depends. I deliberately drop unopened frozen peas etc onto our ancient tiled floor to get them separated...

#4447 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5438 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 22 February 2021 - 18:07

A frozen shepherd's pie doesn't shatter if dropped on a Dozy Hen cos she's all soft and fluffy. 

#4448 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 18:12

well I suppose it's one way to make an impression on a bird...

#4449 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 22 February 2021 - 21:08

I recently discovered this:

Warren Kime and the Recorder Jazz Quartet.

There's a whole album, but the link is one of the shorter tracks because I'm not at all sure it will meet with universal approval. It's sort of relaxing though.

https://youtu.be/zAU4uyGFZCM

#4450 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:07

I thought it was only inept people like me that dropped the recorder.

Sometimes I can't see how people don't!  I don't find plastic ones a problem, they seem to be "sticky" enough that they stay put.  Some wooden one are seriously slippery, and I play the tenor less horizontally than, say, alto, and without a thumb rest they would be forever imitating Norway's shepherd's pies.

I'm with OaG - re for me the recorder is fun!

I'm working my way through Geert van Gele's bbok and at some point he says he thinks the recorder is the most relaxing instrument you can play.  I get that - so long as it's not trying to make its escape, playing is a pretty relaxing experience.

I recently discovered this:

Warren Kime and the Recorder Jazz Quartet.

I actually like jazz and listen to a lot and it's surprising how much jazz recorder there is out there.  I'll listen to the RJQ a bit more when I have time.  A couple of other shorts you might have seen on youtube:

https://www.youtube....h?v=NeyivSQcDYI

https://www.youtube....h?v=0YHM1TRCR68

#4451 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:17

I've always liked the formosa recorder group's version of take five

#4452 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 23 February 2021 - 13:23

I've always liked the formosa recorder group's version of take five

That's very nice. Is the creaking sound the keys on the contrabass or the leather trousers though?