#4066 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:38

Music is a tough skill to master.  ABRSM lists Gr5 as being at GCSE level, and Gr7/8 at A level.  I know you don't have to get 100% to pass and you might have Gr8 (from any board) without necessarily being brilliant at every single thing they ask for.  Still, to get a basic pass (ABRSM) you need 100/150 marks, about 66%.  For A level, the cutoff between grades varies slightly but is normally just over 50% for a C in, say, Maths; at degree level, the traditional pass mark is 40%.

I know this is very subjective, but there are lots of A level subjects where, as an adult learner, you can start from scratch and get a decent pass in 1 year.  I think most people would really struggle to achieve that with music.

#4067 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 07 May 2020 - 14:48

Music is a tough skill to master.  ABRSM lists Gr5 as being at GCSE level, and Gr7/8 at A level.  I know you don't have to get 100% to pass and you might have Gr8 (from any board) without necessarily being brilliant at every single thing they ask for.  Still, to get a basic pass (ABRSM) you need 100/150 marks, about 66%.  For A level, the cutoff between grades varies slightly but is normally just over 50% for a C in, say, Maths; at degree level, the traditional pass mark is 40%.

I know this is very subjective, but there are lots of A level subjects where, as an adult learner, you can start from scratch and get a decent pass in 1 year.  I think most people would really struggle to achieve that with music.

There is no way short of the wave of a magic wand by my fairy godmother that I'd pass Grades 7 or 8 recorder in one year, even starting from where I am now. In fact, I'd place bets that 4, 5 and 6  would require said fairy godmother as well... and that's even if I was excused singing things back :blink:

Maizie - if I could play to your standard I'd do cartwheels... :)

#4068 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1530 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 07 May 2020 - 22:21

I didn't bother reading all the way through to places like grade 8, but looking around at lower grades it looked quite interesting; the general technical and aural stuff looked different, challenging, and often quite useful. I always have mixed feelings when I look at an exam syllabus because I'm a bit old, busy, and limited in my interests, so although I think it's completely right that they've put all the extended techniques in there (if you're going to claim to be a recorder player, you should be able to play the recorder, at least at some level, in all its styles and appearances) - although I think it's right, it's not of great interest to me because I don't tend to stray outside early music. For the same reason, scales with innordinate amounts of sharps in them are of little interest (I'd only meet them in violin music, where I'd probably find myself subtracting three sharps and playing in a pretend bass clef anyway; which is why I ought to get to grips with music in more flats, because at the moment if it's 3 flats I find myself with six of the things, panic, use C-fingering and hope it doesn't go too high).

Yes, OaG you're right, music isn't really comparable to other subjects. A lot of academic subjects, if you put massive effort in and have a fast-learning brain, you can get up to A-level reasonably promptly. Music has a whole area of manual skill that I don't think happens so fast. To be honest, I think that's part of music's charm; since hurrying the manual side of things doesn't seem to make it go any faster, it means you can play a lot, enjoy, take your teim (at least I can, I am an amateur with no target to meet), and get better at whatever rate works for you, while enjoying all the music you play along the way.

#4069 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:23

How is everyone? And how are your recorders, new and old?

I had been rather neglecting mine, so I decided to play it in again, starting at about 10 minutes every day. Maybe unnecessary, but it can only benefit it (and me), I think.

#4070 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:30

We (self and recorders) are fine thank you!

I haven't had as much playing time as I'd have liked for the past couple of weeks as I've been putting up a polytunnel.  We bought it just before lockdown started and had arranged for someone to come and build it but that got cancelled.  I tried to find someone else but in the end just had to get on with it - the whole house is filling up with veg that Mrs G planted in anticipation.  I have not found concreting and recorder playing to be an ideal combination.

I have at least managed to carry on with playing in the new renaissance tenor.  It's a bit of a challenge because I went for the original fingering model so I have to concentrate more than usual on getting some of the notes right, but in a way that makes it fun as well.  Thankfully the polytunnel is being handed over to Mrs G this afternoon.  We are having a ceremony that involves planting out a few tomatoes and drinking several bottles of a local beer that is very strong, so also not conducive to recorder playing, but I plan to get stuck in next week and get some solid practice done.  Luckily that coincides with the new recorder's playing in time starting to stretch out a bit, so I'm looking forward to a musical week.

#4071 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:52

That all sounds like good news, OaG! Enjoy your polytunnel and vegetables and recorders. :)

#4072 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 13:37

Medieval Music in the Dales is postponed till next year. Sob.

#4073 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 15:28

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't actually booked because, although their website said they thought they would be ok, so many other summer events have been cancelled that it looked very unpromising - so much so that I've been meaning to get around to cancelling my ferry booking, and will now do so.  Fingers crossed for next year.

#4074 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 15:50

I was hoping against hope, but I suppose it was inevitable.

Fingers crossed for next year indeed, and also for this year's Early Music Festival.

#4075 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:21

> this year's Early Music Festival.

Hmm, might happen, though I've seen things in October being cancelled already.  It is presumably hard to plan and arrange things given the uncertainty: I could have made it to Medieval Music in the Dales if it had gone ahead, but not if I'd had to precede (and follow) it with 2 weeks of quarantine, and that would presumably be true for artists and exhibitors if coming from overseas.  The one I'd really like to go to is Stockstadt and I'm thinking seriously about going next year, having effectively saved up for it by missing everything this year.  Maybe!

#4076 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:35

I didn't know about Stockstadt. It looks like it's recorder only, isn't it. Even though the description says an Early Music fair, so there might be other things on offer as well.

#4077 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:39

Certainly mainly recorder.  If you look at their concert schedule, it's is stunning from a recorder perspective - masterclass with Michala Petri no less.

#4078 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 13:04

(mumbles) not that keen on Michala Petri's style - but she is indeed a top class musician

I'll see what happens. If the EM festival here goes ahead I'll go to that. If not, I'll look around at the likes of Stockstadt for next year.