#3991 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted Today, 10:56

The porter in the building where our offices are plays in a brass band and he is forever transcribing music. I never thought about why, but it makes sense if most stuff needs to be transposed.

#3992 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Today, 12:00

I use lilypond  just because I'm used to that sort of markup environment.  However, I've been meaning for a while to come to grips with MuseScore etc properly: in principal, at least, using Audiveris OMR software to read in the music and MuseScore to transpose it should really speed things up.  I have tried MS before and never bothered to come to grips with it properly; have not even tried to install Audiveris.  However, I'm going to give it all a proper go - I have more time now the pubs are closed :)

#3993 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Today, 12:40

<off topic> yeah, amazing isn't it? My poor little laptop must be wondering what's hit it, it's had a whole lot of strange stuff installed over the last couple of days that normally would be on my work PC, and some hobby-stuff that I've never got round to looking at.

I've never even tried Audiveris, but being able to read by machine would be brilliant.

Kid has just looked up from his tablet while I was trying to flute and said "Dad, I'm trying to read. Go downstairs, you're making a horrible racket". Well, thank you, offspring. Oh Ye of Exquisite Musical Taste. Yes, I know, you'll tolerate the BBC young musician of the year award, so your scale of measurement is reasonably well-calibrated. I won't take it personally. Not much, anyway. You can fetch your own biscuits, Mister.

#3994 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted Today, 13:25

I use MuseScore - very useful. I like it a lot.

elemimele - :lol: :lol: :lol:

#3995 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Today, 13:49

I have just had a preliminary try with Audiveris and I'm quite impressed, it's not bad.  There are some inaccuracies though, to be fair, I did the usual trick of having only the most cursory glance at the manual before starting, so it's probably not working optimally.  Not sure how long it would take to fix up the errors - it is possible (I think!) to fix them up in Audiveris itself before exporting anything, but I didn't try that.  I exported it as an mxl file and both MuseScore and Lilypond were happy to import that, so it could be fixed up in either.  I'll have to experiment a bit more but it's clearly got potential - certainly worth trying out.