Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:15

Hello to RLW and AdLibitum :)

RLW mentioned the Bernolin. I've got a Bernolin resin descant and it's extremely nice sounding so I'd recommend them. I also second the Haka - I've the descant version and I really like it. I've got Adri's Dream (in plastic and wood); it's Mollenhauer's take on the Renaissance recorder. The plastic one is sparkly - slightly louder and fuller sounding (at least the descant is). I quite like it. I'd advise that you try them out if possible. For me that isn't possible and I use that as the excuse for why I end up with so many... Of course, if you want to end up with lots then just use the same excuse... :blink:

#3828 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 07 February 2020 - 13:28

Hello Zixi! :) I'm past excuses as to why I need a new musical instrument! :D

I wish Mollenhauer made a plastic Dream treble, I like the sound of the soprano version.

My Rottenburgh arrived yesterday! It is a lovely instrument and came in a nice hard case, too. I've tried it out and, after I figured out I was underblowing, I managed to make it sound rather nice. At least nicer than I had thought I would be able to to begin with! Of course I've got a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm very impressed with Thomann - I placed the order on Sunday and it arrived yesterday morning. And they communicated really well throughout the process, too.

#3829 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 14:14

re Thomann - yes, I've had good experiences with them too.

re excuses - Good!!!! :lol:

I'm afraid I'm very descant-centric... I've got a couple of plastic trebles and tenors knocking about. The tenors are seriously large for me. I like the treble and I should really do more with it. But it's the descant that has **the** place in my heart... The Dream is really good fun! My plastic one is red and sparkly. It sounds red and sparkly too.

It's really nice to have some new people here btw - and someone who plays both harp and recorder! I have a small harp - I don't play it  - I just pluck the strings when life is being mean to me and somehow everything seems a lot better!!!! They are both very beautiful instruments.

#3830 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 19:46

That's nice to hear. :) I'm glad I'm able to take part in this thread - I really enjoyed reading through it (it took me a week or so).

In my opinion plucking strings is playing the harp! And I agree it is very therapeutic. There is something about the sound of all the strings vibrating, isn't there. I'd started with the harp to play "Celtic" music, but I quickly rediscovered my love of classical and early music, and then even began to enjoy playing some jazz - I had had no idea the harp can play all that. :D Now I'm already seeing a similar thing with the recorder - I'm sure I'm going to play a lot more Bach than I'd thought.

Although I prefer the treble, I love listening to the descant. Kristine West's performance of Psalm 9, for instance, is, in my opinion, sublime.

#3831 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 07 February 2020 - 20:53

Kristine West just is sublime; she's a very good player in that in addition to being superb technically, she deploys what she can do with such heavenly musicality. I find I listen to her without noticing how good she is, just enjoying wholeheartedly, and what more can anyone ask? She also seems equally at home in the most sophisticated of mainstream baroque, or in Swedish folk, and she does some quite wonderful things with Scottish tunes too. To be quite honest she's probably my favourite recorder player ever in the universe (though this title has been known to change hands in a depressingly fickle manner when I find a new really beautiful corner of YouTube).

And keep harping on. An undiluted diet of recorder can, I think, get less-than-ideal. Recorders benefit a lot from other quietish friends. Harp and recorder is a combination that can work very well.

#3832 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:31

AdLibitum - trust me, I don't *play* the harp at all. But it's strange - my recorder playing ability is *much* better than my harp playing but whatever I do the harp definitely sounds better! Actually, even when I'm tuning it! But to return to the recorder. It's soooo versatile. You'll find the recorder can *do* jazz too. There are some pieces that I'd never imagine would sound good on recorder but they do. I don't even like jazz! But on the recorder, it's fine. Then there's Van Eyck. I'm not sure how much of that the treble can do because I've never looked at it that way, but the others will know!

My favourite player is Frans Bruggen. But Petri is very dear to me too. They both play with such modesty. Anyway, we've been listening to Seldom Sene - the recorder quintet - playing the Goldberg. It's amazing. They're amazing. We listened to Schiff playing the Goldberg on the way back from our new 'house' this last time and I find it very muddy sounding in comparison with the recorder version but I admit to bias. My husband insists that it's an acoustic problem with background sounds in the car but I know my hearing no longer copes with certain frequencies and I love the sound of the recorder so very much that all else will always struggle to compete.

#3833 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 19:52

Elemimele, I fully intend to continue with the harp - the recorder is in addition to, not instead of. I agree the two instruments would be a nice combination. Pity I cannot play both at the same time... At least this Christmas I played my harp in a duet with a flautist and it was lovely.

#3834 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 19:56

Zixi, ha ha, I don't actually like jazz either. Except when played on a harp. (Or a recorder, I'm sure.) OK, maybe on piano too. But definitely not on a saxophone, I'm sorry to say.

I'll look into the performers you mention, it sounds like stuff I would enjoy.

#3835 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 23:47

Take Five as played by the Formosa recorder quartet has always been a favourite of mine. I love, too, how the enormous bass thingy recorder (I can never work out which is which when they get that long) is playing the role of the plucked double bass so effectively.

#3836 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7933 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:12

Does anyone know of any very easy (I do mean easy!) pieces  for treble recorder and guitar. I have just started a group of 7 treble recorders aged 9 to 10 and we have one guitar player in the class. She can play  simple melodies - she learnt "Silent Night" for Christmas and the simpler guitar chords. I'd  like something they could learn for a little end of year  school concert.

#3837 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6766 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:17

I'm pretty sure the 'enormous bas thingy' is a contra.  A straight great bass wouldn't be taller than a person (unless they weren't very tall... :P )

Below that, you generally don't see straight versions simply because you'd need an unconventionally high ceiling - OK for the concert hall, not so good for home practice!

#3838 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:36

Take Five as played by the Formosa recorder quartet has always been a favourite of mine.

One of the best things for me about this thread is the quantity of new music it has introduced me to: artists, composers, even instruments that I have never heard of before.  Hadn't come across that one before and it's great, so thanks for the recommendation - indeed, thanks to everyone for all your recommendations, I have learned a lot from them.

I feel I have to put in a quick good word for jazz here - I really like jazz a lot.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with recorders, but I'm posting it anyway: possibly my favourite performance of one of my favourite tunes.  I'm sure you will all hate it a lot :) https://www.youtube....h?v=ddR8r4UFHl8

#3839 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 12 February 2020 - 15:16

Is it just me, or do the instruments/players in that Take Five video sound almost constantly out of tune with each other?  It was so painful I couldn't make it through the whole song.

For some reason, I've been looking into recorders this morning.  I don't know much about them.  Maybe they're supposed to sound out of tune with each other?

Maybe I should just stick with piano...

#3840 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 19:16

Don't ask me! I've got a truly awful sense of pitch so they could play anything and I wouldn't notice, particularly when there's a lot of jazzy note-bending going on!