Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6713 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Today, 21:07

I think I found the same video - the date on it would have been after the time I was searching last time around.  Nice to see a few more versions out there.  I have got my ears, if not my fingers, around the first two movements (so I feel I know how it should sound, even if I can't make it sound like that yet), have to give the third movement a go, though I know that's the 'hard' one.

When I stubmled back upon the Baroque Now recording, one of my first thoughts was 'I have to get elemimele to listen to this' :D :D

#3767 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Today, 21:56

niiiiiiiice! My only comment is that I truly adore the original Wendy Carlos Moog Bach, so I'm in a slight dilemma about whether adding recorder to that heavenly effect is a good or an unnecessary thing - but whichever way it goes, it's a thing that I'm glad someone tried! Bach's a strange one, because his music more than anyone's seems to do well when used on all sorts of odd instrumental combinations, but nevertheless it's not true (in my opinion) that it neglects the atmosphere of the instrument. It just seems to be open to new interpretations.

I have this theory that musical instruments are like a human life-span. There is a period when a human is very young, that they believe they can do anything, they're fresh and energetic, but often rather lacking in subtlety, which can be charming in itself - and they copy the adults but with completely unique youthful zest, unaware that they're not doing the same thing at all! The synthesiser was definitely at that stage when the famous Bach versions came out. 

Aren't we lucky there is so much lovely stuff out there to explore, both listening and playing?