#3706 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 06 September 2019 - 19:29

...I couldn't play if someone merely wrote the tune in letters: CDEC CDEC EFG EFG or whatever. When reading this forum, if someone refers to a note by name, I have to think about it quite carefully to work out what they're doing...

To be honest, I can't see that there are many scenarios where being able to name notes quickly is vitally important. If you can get fluently from dots on the page to the right notes coming out of the instrument, mission accomplished!

Off topic as usual, but ever since I joined this place, I‘ve been amazed by suggestions for exercises for sight reading which include the names of the notes, especially for a pupil who is not finding learning to play an instrument easy. For me, it was always a detour I could do without. My bass clef note recognition skills are zero if I have to name the note from the stave, but my fingers know exactly where to go on the keyboard, even when the music includes playing the right hand from the bass clef and the left hand from the treble clef.
I‘m so relieved to read that others, far superior to me in all things musical, might find themselves in a similar situation on the c and f recorders. There‘s hope for me yet.

#3707 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:22

If you can get fluently from dots on the page to the right notes coming out of the instrument, mission accomplished!

Absolutely agree, that's all that matters to me -  eyes see note, fingers form note, breath plays note, brain on autopilot.  It seems to me a bit like learning to read: at first you spell out the words, then words to sentences, but in the end you just read something and know what it said without consciously having done anything at all.  It's a process you only notice when reading something unusually difficult, and I would like my music reading to be the same.  Of course, it isn't.

#3708 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10769 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 07 September 2019 - 13:08

When it comes to the bass clef instruments I'm much more familiar with F bass. I can, however play flute from bass clef, transposing up two octaves as I go. I've played a bit of great bass during the last year - not mine, I've borrowed it from another Forum member. I've found that the only way I can deal with great bass is to name the notes in my head as I play, or at least the starting note of a phrase, or the note names of any big intervals. If I'm playing F bass (or treble) I cannot, under any circumstances think about note names or I get confused. It's dots-to-fingers all the time.

I have had a similar experience to Maizie in that I used to teach a pupil who had back-to-back lessons on flute and recorder. During the flute lesson I had no problems naming any note I needed to. Come the recorder lesson, if she were playing treble, I would struggle to name the notes on the stave despite them being the same range as the flute notes. :blink:

#3709 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:56

That's really interesting - it looks like naming notes can be quite a different skill from playing them. We really loved Maizie's idea that it doesn't matter what they're called in her head! I assumed it was about how the concepts were modelled in the brain but I can't account for andante's one way of seeing a recorder and another way of seeing a flute! I'd assumed that maybe wind players might see it differently from pianists but looks like that's simplistic! 

#3710 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10769 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:24

The best I can come up with is that (for a player who is C instrument dominant)  thinking of the note names enhances note recognition when playing a C instrument, but if playing an F instrument they interfere with note recognition. And after a time I think my brain begins to associate the size of recorder with the particular position of the dots on the staff, so the more I played great bass, the more comfortable I was with the notes. I could still switch to F bass without too many problems.

The flute/recorder thing was more about the fact that my brain seems to shield me from note names when playing treble, so that I can't immediately switch it back on in the context of treble playing. I never tried this, but I assume if I had picked up my flute before trying to name the note in question, I would have been able to do it!

#3711 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 14 September 2019 - 21:20

For your delectation this evening, we have themes from Super Mario World arranged for recorder quartet and played by one intrepid multi-track musician...

(the great weakness of recorder consorts is that they often sound a bit like a fairground organ, which if you're trying to play Great and Serious Orchestral Music and Sonorous Works from the Past is a bit of a disadvantage. If you're playing Super Mario themes, the barrel organ feel is just right!)

#3712 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:02

I like the barrel organ feel! :) They used it to great effect on the Bravo Bonsor CD and if Brian was anything like he is in his books I'm sure he'd have loved it! You need a sense of humour to appreciate that effect, I think and part of the appeal has to be that all those recorders can play together without one hogging the limelight. I love it. It's fun. I think there's a place for fun in all forms of art... and sometimes the 'fun' bit stops one from being too intense... surely...

#3713 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:06

... yes, on a more serious note, I've been listening to Francois Lazarevitch playing Daphne; he's more usually found playing traverso, but his version of Daphne is very beautiful. He has a foot in Irish music, I think (or certainly an appreciation of a bit of a gaelic feel), and he brings something new to a piece that everyone has played, without being weird and whacky. It's lovely.

That's something that's nice about recorder - it can span a very wide range of styles, it can be frivolous or serious; it can do folk, or it can put on its tuxedo and be as elegant as any other instrument.

#3714 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 September 2019 - 14:04

talking of barrel organs... https://www.youtube....h?v=3z5aMR_VoPM

#3715 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10769 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 17 September 2019 - 14:37

talking of barrel organs... https://www.youtube....h?v=3z5aMR_VoPM

Not often a recorder quartet gets a response like that!

#3716 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 17:14

andante_in_c - they mention the 'response' they get for their more flamboyant pieces on one of their CDs! :)

#3717 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 21:05

They remain the most beautiful, bestest ever, heavenly recorder group in the history of the universe, and if they are ever exceeded I will float off to heaven having forgotten to breathe or let my heart beat...