Clarinettists United !

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:15

Are we clarinets going to let the flutes and oboes take over the world, well the forum world anyway tongue.gif Course not! So here's our thread, to talk about clarinetty things biggrin.gif

I've just been trying to practise my E minor scale which needs the right hand B key wacko.gif Whoever invented that key must have been double jointed blink.gif Have long did it take everybody else to get into the hang of using it?

#2 SaxFan

SaxFan

Virtuoso

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • Member: 4322
  • Norfolk, England

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:20

QUOTE(skylark @ Jul 11 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post

Are we clarinets going to let the flutes and oboes take over the world,

just one post --
flutes and oboes won't take over - Saxes Rule ! ! biggrin.gif

#3 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:21

You wish!! tongue.gif

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:26

Are we clarinets going to let the flutes and oboes take over the world, well the forum world anyway tongue.gif Course not! So here's our thread, to talk about clarinetty things biggrin.gif

I've just been trying to practise my E minor scale which needs the right hand B key wacko.gif Whoever invented that key must have been double jointed blink.gif Have long did it take everybody else to get into the hang of using it?

clarinetty things... wub.gif

It took me a little while to get used to the right hand B key. I got there eventually. smile.gif

#5 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:43

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jul 11 2007, 11:26 PM) View Post

clarinetty things... wub.gif

It took me a little while to get used to the right hand B key. I got there eventually. smile.gif

It does take a while. I'm trying to get round using the right hand side/trill key for B and C in 'The little negro' by Debussy. Makes it so much easier!

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 12 July 2007 - 00:00

It is a good thing to get used to right hand B (and other alternative fingerings). You'll also need that right hand B when you get to play two octave B major...

#7 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:09

I try to encourage my pupils to use (or at least, be aware of) both right from the start, with the explanation that most of the time it's just personal preference which one they use, but there will be times when they *have* to use a particular key.

Keep it up, skylark, you'll get it eventually. smile.gif

#8 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:21

I have trouble reaching the Left hand b! I seem to use the opposite keys to everyone else I know, unless of course I have to use a particular one - its happening more and more often!

#9 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:30

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 12 2007, 08:21 AM) View Post

I have trouble reaching the Left hand b! I seem to use the opposite keys to everyone else I know, unless of course I have to use a particular one - its happening more and more often!

That's interesting. If anything, I tend to come across more people who aren't so struck on the right hand B. Do you have small-ish hands - and do you also find it a stretch to get to the left hand F#/C# key?

#10 magicflute

magicflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Member: 9114
  • Cornwall

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:58

Can I join the thread...I'm not a *proper* clarinettist but I'm teaching myself. From the tutor books I picked up on the rh B key first and now I'm having trouble trying to alternate lh and rh fingerings! lol

#11 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:10

[quote name='barry-clari' date='Jul 12 2007, 07:30 AM' post='550851']
[quote name='Rosemary7391' post='550846' date='Jul 12 2007, 08:21 AM']
[/quote]

The majority of my pupils seem to prefer left hand F/C and right hand E/F... especially the ones with small hands..... I prefer the other way round......

Talking about the size of hands.... I saw a new pupil yesterday... she's really quite small.... my smallest yet.... but she has big hands! I was thinking of starting her on the kinder clarinet but her hands are as big as some of my older pupils who manage the Bb well.... Now there is a spare kinder clarinet in school but not a spare Bb.... so a kinder would mean a quicker start.... BUT.... what about the weight of a Bb .... would that be too much for the girl? She will be 8 in September. Any ideas?
I prefer Bb... having only started one other pupil on the kinder...She couldn't play in the school orchestra until she transferred onto Bb (after 5 months) as although the school had easy Bb parts it had no Eb parts (it's an Eb kinder) for orchestra. I don't like the kinder as I have to transpose to play along with the pupil!!!!
I tried her on the kinder for size yesterday.. and her hands seemed too big for that. I haven't seen if her arms are long enough for the Bb yet... and will check next week.

#12 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:39

QUOTE(Clari Nicki1 @ Jul 12 2007, 10:10 AM) View Post

The majority of my pupils seem to prefer left hand F/C and right hand E/F... especially the ones with small hands..... I prefer the other way round......

Me too.

What foxes me is my bass clarinet - it has a low Eb, so an extra RH key. Worth it for the deep rumbling sound though (not that anyone actually hears it, they just feel it!).

.... what about the weight of a Bb .... would that be too much for the girl? She will be 8 in September. Any ideas?

I briefly taught someone of the same age. There was a wooden clarinet in the family which she found a bit heavy, but didn't have any problems with a plastic instrument.

I was 8, nearly 9, when I started, and quite small for my age, but I don't remember having any problems with instrument weight or stretches.

#13 PianoSecrets-x

PianoSecrets-x

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
  • Member: 8646
  • Sunny Blackpool ... ok not so much sunny ...

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:03

I always use the right hand b key, and i've never had a problem with it unsure.gif

#14 elena_alto&proud

elena_alto&proud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 10693

Posted 12 July 2007 - 15:16

Talking about the size of hands.... I saw a new pupil yesterday... she's really quite small.... my smallest yet.... but she has big hands! I was thinking of starting her on the kinder clarinet but her hands are as big as some of my older pupils who manage the Bb well.... Now there is a spare kinder clarinet in school but not a spare Bb.... so a kinder would mean a quicker start.... BUT.... what about the weight of a Bb .... would that be too much for the girl? She will be 8 in September. Any ideas?
I prefer Bb... having only started one other pupil on the kinder...She couldn't play in the school orchestra until she transferred onto Bb (after 5 months) as although the school had easy Bb parts it had no Eb parts (it's an Eb kinder) for orchestra. I don't like the kinder as I have to transpose to play along with the pupil!!!!
I tried her on the kinder for size yesterday.. and her hands seemed too big for that. I haven't seen if her arms are long enough for the Bb yet... and will check next week.

I was 9 when I started clarinet and I never even saw a kinder =D
I was quite a scrawny kid as well happy.gif but I never had any problems.
a student (i.e plastic) Bb should be ok.

#15 Scaramouche

Scaramouche

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Member: 10322

Posted 12 July 2007 - 15:17

QUOTE(PianoSecrets-x @ Jul 12 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post

I always use the right hand b key, and i've never had a problem with it unsure.gif

Me neither, I don't really have any problems with any fingerings. Other than my made up ones for top G LOL.