chocolate girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Member: 7921
  • Scotland

Posted 11 July 2007 - 14:32

I noticed there was an oboe thread going on at the moment - just a place to chat about the instrument , but there was no flute one. i searched the forums but i couldnt find any existing one so i decided to make my own! biggrin.gif

come talk about the flute!!!

xxx

#2 Scaramouche

Scaramouche

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Member: 10322

Posted 11 July 2007 - 14:35

I play flute. I teach flute. The end.

#3 HazelKay

HazelKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 9595
  • Herefordshire

Posted 11 July 2007 - 14:41

I play flute with more enthusiasm than skill - waiting for my ABRSM grade 1 result unsure.gif
I occasionally play a really beautiful note and that keeps me going

#4 c'est moi

c'est moi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Member: 10824
  • Argyll, Scotland

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:05

I blow air into my flute in an unfortunately random and uncalculated manner. Occasionally the resulting noise is not offensive to the ears. smile.gif

At the moment I have a flute to try from Topwind, a Muramatsu EX which I have fallen in love with, hopefully to replace my current Yamaha 211. wink.gif ph34r.gif

#5 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:08

I got my end of term analysis back from my flute teacher the other day and she says I need to play more challenging pieces and studies. Which is good I suppose... Although, I'm a little confused as a while back I took in a pile of new music which included le merle noire, zoom tube and prokofiev sonata and she decided to work on Mozart concerto in D, and Danzi concerto with me instead - neither pose a particularly big challenge and I could probably learn them at home in my own time but she insisted. She had never come across Ian Clarke which is a bit concerning unsure.gif But when I took it to my lesson with David Nicholson he got quite excited and said we could do some work on it.
So I'm a little confused as to why she said that when it was she who decided to do work on these in the lessons. And I bought those study books as well and I've been doing them quite a bit. Are there any harder ones out there that I am supposed to do?! I have Berbiguer, Boehm, Anderson, 76 graded studies and another one which I dont have the cover of. unsure.gif

QUOTE(c'est moi @ Jul 11 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

I blow air into my flute in an unfortunately random and uncalculated manner. Occasionally the resulting noise is not offensive to the ears. smile.gif

At the moment I have a flute to try from Topwind, a Muramatsu EX which I have fallen in love with, hopefully to replace my current Yamaha 211. wink.gif ph34r.gif

Dont blow - breathe into your flute! biggrin.gif

#6 Alicia Ocean

Alicia Ocean

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2371 posts
  • Member: 10842
  • Teacher of Piano and Flute

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:10

QUOTE(Malone @ Jul 11 2007, 04:08 PM) View Post

Low! low! breath (don't blow)... etc

#7 c'est moi

c'est moi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Argyll, Scotland

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:12

QUOTE(Malone @ Jul 11 2007, 04:08 PM) View Post

wacko.gif Oh man. I can't even get the flute lingo right, what hope it there for the sound! unsure.gif blush.gif

#8 monkey flute

monkey flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Member: 9270

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:40

hi windies i think a flute thread is a great idea party1.gif the best thing about playing the flute to me is ???

learning for my own enjoyment,

a common interest in which to meet other people and join in

something that has helped me get over my shyness and nerves

a great way to relax after a stressy day at work rolleyes.gif

#9 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:55

hurrah.gif exciting!

#10 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:59

I have played flute for around 9 years. I stopped playing properly in 2004 when I passed grade 8 but still play for own enjoyment when I have time. Technically its my first instrument but I consider myself more of a pianist these days.

My favourite work has to be "la Flute de Pan" by Mouquet.

The best experience I have had playing was when I finished learning la Flute de Pan and performed it in concert

The worst experience was playing Jolivets "Chant de linos" for my A level exam- nerves got the better of me x_x

#11 c'est moi

c'est moi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Argyll, Scotland

Posted 11 July 2007 - 17:40

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Jul 11 2007, 04:55 PM) View Post

hurrah.gif exciting!

biggrin.gif Oh yes. I just wish I'd fallen for one of the cheaper alternatives! wacko.gif (*looks at harps and remembers it could be so much worse*)

#12 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Insomniaville

Posted 11 July 2007 - 17:42

QUOTE(c'est moi @ Jul 11 2007, 06:40 PM) View Post

QUOTE(sarah-flute @ Jul 11 2007, 04:55 PM) View Post

hurrah.gif exciting!

biggrin.gif Oh yes. I just wish I'd fallen for one of the cheaper alternatives! wacko.gif (*looks at harps and remembers it could be so much worse*)

laugh.gif it'll be worth it!

#13 ffliwt

ffliwt

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Member: 9572

Posted 11 July 2007 - 18:02

I loooove flute biggrin.gif
I've been playing for about 5 years and took my grade 8 on Monday. It went pretty well! biggrin.gif I messed up Pan et les Berges, which is usually my best and favourite piece =( Very disappointed at that. But hey, it happens! I read that someone said La Flute de Pan by Mouquet is their favourite work. Has to be one of mine too, I love it!
I have a yamaha 311 at the moment, but am saving for a Miyazawa to do my diploma and for university biggrin.gif Although i've been told the best make is Altus? anyone have any experiences with these makes than can tell me what i should go for?

#14 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Insomniaville

Posted 11 July 2007 - 18:07

You need to try out as many of the top makes as are within your price range, ideally - it's no good us telling you "you must buy an X" if it turns out that flute Y suits you best!

Altus and Miyazawa are both good, respected makes. Others include (but are not restricted to...) Muramatsu, Mateki, Powell, Brannen, Sankyo, Arista.... I can't think of any others! What you will be able to stretch to will depend on your budget, what you will like best will depend on you biggrin.gif talk to your teacher about it, too... and if possible take your teacher or some other wise flute-y person flute shopping somewhere where they have a wide range smile.gif

#15 Guest: SarahSax1986_*

Guest: SarahSax1986_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 July 2007 - 18:08

Started flute last...July I think when I got bored in the summer holiday. Starting grade 6 repetoire next week on my new Muramastsu EX open hole which is due to come tomorrow biggrin.gif.....That's about it really smile.gif