pianoboe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • Member: 9616
  • Nr Leeds, UK

Posted 04 March 2007 - 20:41

For all you fellow oboists - this is THE new thread for talking about oboe. tongue.gif Now let's get going
So - who makes their own reeds and who buys?
And what make of oboe do you have?
What's your favourite oboe piece?
Well? Hmm? Come on people... biggrin.gif

#2 magicflute

magicflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Member: 9114
  • Cornwall

Posted 04 March 2007 - 20:44

I'm not an oboist so you'll have to tell me - how do you make your own reeds?!

#3 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:03

QUOTE(magicflute @ Mar 4 2007, 09:44 PM) View Post

I'm not an oboist so you'll have to tell me - how do you make your own reeds?!

You buy what is called a "staple" which is the cork bit that fits into the oboe, some thread and some reeds. You tie the reed onto the staple and then you scrape the reed until it plays the way you want. Easier said than done biggrin.gif
You can also buy the reed in an even more "raw" state and gouge it yourself (if you have the machinery) and I suppose you could even grow the reed yourself if you live in the right place.

I currently play a Marigaux, my teacher makes all my reeds and I am starting to learn to make my own.

My favourite oboist is Lajos Lencses.

I have lots of pieces I like; one is the Marcello concerto in D minor.

#4 AmandaL

AmandaL

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3482 posts
  • Member: 149
  • Hampshire, England

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:25

QUOTE(pianoboe @ Mar 4 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post
So - who makes their own reeds and who buys? And what make of oboe do you have? What's your favourite oboe piece?

In order of the questions:

I don't make my own reeds, but I don't buy them that often either, I've got a couple of professional orchestral oboist friends who make them to my own spec. I can tie reeds to staples though - I've got quite good at that actually.

Own four oboes, all of them Howarth - two are XL and the other two, S5.

Albinoni D minor concerto.

#5 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:56

QUOTE(AmandaL @ Mar 4 2007, 10:25 PM) View Post

I can tie reeds to staples though - I've got quite good at that actually.

I am good at that too!
I can also scrape a reed to a just about playable stage (ie it will crow and play over the whole range), what I am not good at is getting it with the tone I would like over the whole range.

#6 oboist

oboist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Member: 2256

Posted 04 March 2007 - 22:24

For all you fellow oboists - this is THE new thread for talking about oboe. tongue.gif Now let's get going

I can (and sometimes do) make my own reeds but time is the killer on this one and so I tend to buy for both myself and my pupils. Different makes at different prices depending on who they are for.

I have a Marigaux oboe, bought by my late gran for me when I was 16 and still going strong apart from a couple of pillars which are working a bit loose and not responding as well as they should to treatment for same - which is probably much like the owner! laugh.gif

Poulenc Oboe Sonata every time - I just adore that work smile.gif smile.gif

#7 stevensfo

stevensfo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2386 posts
  • Member: 3444
  • Lago Maggiore, North Italy

Posted 04 March 2007 - 22:51

Being a general woodwind fanatic, this subject fascinates me. Problem is... the time!

Kerioboe, do you have any good sources of reeds that are unscraped? I'd love to try. The web has plenty of DIY instructions, but we all know that it's never as easy as it looks.

I have scraped oboe reeds - though just to try and improve them - and done terrible things to clarinet reeds - but it would be nice to have a cheapish collection of blanks to play with.

I have a Marigaux oboe, bought by my late gran for me when I was 16 and still going strong apart from a couple of pillars which are working a bit loose and not responding as well

Oboist, over on the oboe & clarinet forum at www.woodwind.org, there's a UK based oboe/clarinet/sax player and repair expert called ChrisP. His advice is worth its weight in gold. Loose pillars should be fixed asap. The longer you leave them, the weaker the surrounding wood becomes and the more difficult to repair.

Steve

#8 sags_3

sags_3

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1135 posts
  • Member: 6772

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:05

Dont really know much oboe repetoire but I do like Arnold's sonatina/sonatine? and the Rubstov concerto for oboe!

#9 sneekymum

sneekymum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Member: 6958

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:10

I found a man who makes them selling on ebay - £10 for 3 - and that's my source. I figure that it would take time and DIY skills to make my own and I can't be bothered.

Make - Howarth.

Fave piece? erm, well, only been playing a few weeks... "Oh My Beloved Papa" in Time Pieces for Oboe is my favourite so far.

#10 katypie

katypie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Member: 6764
  • Keele

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:22

I admit it, I'm a buyer ph34r.gif I get these chinese reeds from howarth (ke gun xe I think they're called) which I usually really like but I seem to have gotten stuck with 2 bad ones atm sad.gif they're quite expensive (£15 each) but I'm a big fan of them
I have a howarth s20 which I've had for almost 3 years, and my favourite piece...at the moment I would have to say the 2nd of Schumann's 3 romances - but I'm playing it in my recital so I may get fed up with it at some point over the next month

#11 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:24

I got a pile of reeds for free from the lady who runs the music shop below where I teach, she didnt know what they were... blink.gif

I havn't played my oboe in quite a while, my flute teacher said it will have a detrimental effect on my embouchure, however, I have just applied for a job as woodwind teacher and did say that I would push myself to at least grade 5 standard should the need arise to teach beginners.... I hope they dont...!

#12 sneekymum

sneekymum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Member: 6958

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:27

QUOTE(Malone @ Mar 4 2007, 11:24 PM) View Post

I havn't played my oboe in quite a while, my flute teacher said it will have a detrimental effect on my embouchure,

I'm still managing 20 mins a day - haven't noticed any effect on my flute - I've got a lot stronger in the puff department though.

#13 katypie

katypie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Member: 6764
  • Keele

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:35

QUOTE(Malone @ Mar 4 2007, 11:24 PM) View Post

I havn't played my oboe in quite a while, my flute teacher said it will have a detrimental effect on my embouchure

my flute teacher said something similar when I took up the oboe, but I've actually found that my flute embouchre has had a detrimental affect on my oboe embouchre instead... I tend to get this confused when I try to explain but you know how on the flute, in order to play higher you push your bottom lip forward? Well I'm told that on the oboe you're supposed to pull your lower lip back but I've only ever managed to make myself do this with a lot of brain power, and still haven't convinced my brain to put it in to practise

#14 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 05 March 2007 - 00:31

Think I might take it out of its case for a bit tomorrow, make it lunch, take it for a walk, make it feel loved, I think I have rather neglected it these past couple of weeks what with the master class and audition I had to prepare for...

#15 lizbun

lizbun

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4779 posts
  • Member: 7250
  • somewhere

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:22

I've been playing it from September(so that's 6 months), about grade 4 standard

I play with a fossati tiery, which I'm borrowing for a long time, and I buy my reeds.