2 replies to this topic

#1 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17614 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:48

Anyone who can easily get to this neck of the woods (Wirral) may like to know that pianist Stephen Hough is giving a Masterclass to 4 students in Heswall Hall next Thursday evening at 7.30. He was born in Heswall (mind you so was Ian Botham!)
Tickets for the public £8 (£4 students) from Alan Bradshaw on 0151-342-3587, or Linghams Bookshop in Heswall. I hope to be there (I'm only a mile away)

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17614 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:17

Further to above post, I just got the last ticket from Linghams, but they only had a small allocation and I understand there are still some available from Mr Bradshaw or from Fred Shaw at 01244-301243

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17614 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:36

Well, I very much enjoyed the above event last night where Stephen gave helpful advice to four 'students'.
First he advised Jenny Cearns (16) a local girl who is at the junior RNCM in playing the Chopin C Minor Polonaise. She has apparently never got other than a distinction in her grade exams, and is doing Grade 8 shortly. Stephen concentrated on getting her to improve the contrast between the rather subdued and dour opening, and the brighter middle section in the major key.
Then he did the last movement of the Pathetique sonata with 13 yr old Martin Kupilas, who has also a Grade 7 distinction. It need to speed up a bit, and get more contrast between the soft and loud parts (apparently Beethoven hardly ever used mp or mf in his piano sonatas, always at least p and f)
Next 14 yr old Anna Nielson-Scott tackled the first two movements of the Ravel Sonatine. In the first movement it was a case of trying to get the melody out and subduing the florid accompaniment (I have difficulties with this myself, one has to try to concentrate on getting all the notes in). In the second movement he wanted her to think like a 'one in a bar' dance to get a better mood to the piece.
Finally , and older student who is already well known locally, Tom Kimmance (24), who is now studying for a Masters Degree at Liverpool. The Liszt paraphrase on 'Rigoletto'. Stephen described his chromatic and double third scales as 'amazing' - they certainly were ! Playing it from memory, there didnt seem to be too much wrong with the piece, but Stephen picked out a few aspects to assist Tom to improve it further. Tom studies with John Gough.

For me, it was really interesting musical experience, as I play the first three pieces myself (No way can I tackle the Liszt!). Pity it wasnt a better piano, there was a problem in particular with a clonking pedal.