Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 06 August 2022 - 13:46

The road across the top of mine is one of the 'spokes' that goes into town. I noticed that at the junction with one of the side roads, there is a big water leak. Now there is some major Severn Trent 'something' there as several years ago that road was blocked off whilst they worked for weeks on 'something' underground there. When they finished they created a fenced off area and it has a major access cover (it's big) over part of it. Not sur eif there is some sort of pump there or not. The water is bubbling out of the ground from about 50m from this area, so something is wrong.

I tried to report it via the Severn Trent web site. I got a "Sorry - this part of our website is down for technical maintenance at the moment" message....   

#24197 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 08 August 2022 - 16:18

Income protection insurance. The insurance agent has a funeral voice and is making me feel so depressed that I'm inclined to say no to anything he suggests even though I think it'd be a good thing to have a policy. And the premiums are high (sadly, I don't think they'd be better elsewhere).

#24198 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 14:24

HR saying "thank you for being so honest" is probably Not A Good Thing. Ah well.

#24199 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:42

I heard a piece of music on telly about a month ago and have no idea what it is.

I don't expect an answer here, but it's really frustrating when that happens.

It's sort of a requiem-style thing, Mozart +/- a generation. Very slow string crescendo from pp to ff when a choir comes in.

I've got the Mozart requiem and much other stuff on CD, and it's none of that.

And I've forgotten now what the TV programme was.

Might have been Lucy Worsley or something on the royal family, but the chances are slim.

Grrr.

Phew, it was Zadok. So far I've been lucky at guessing these - Saint-Saens Danse Macabre, Sibelius Valse Triste and so on.

One day my luck will run out. I'd better start paying more attention and maybe buy a notebook. Or I should stop watching TV drama.

I've spent most of 60 years listening to the third progamme and radio 3 and switching my ears off when the announcer starts talking. Not clever.

#24200 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19390 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:38

Zadok was the first ever track played on Classic FM !.. One of Handels Four Coronation anthems.

#24201 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:40

I hated Classic FM from day 1 (ok, day 2, lol) - single movements of lollipops. Radio 3 are doing the same thing nowadays, though.

#24202 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20750 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 11 August 2022 - 10:53

I have to admit I wondered about Zadok  - then the mention of Latin threw me. 

#24203 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4846 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:45

I really like Classic FM and have come across composers I hadn’t heard of before on it. I have no objection to single movements of pieces. If I really like something I will find it on YouTube in its entirety .

#24204 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:51

I have to admit I wondered about Zadok  - then the mention of Latin threw me. 

Yes, I quickly edited that out, but not quickly enough, lol!

Obviously I missheard "Zadok the priest" as Latin.

At least my mistaken hearing meant I could rule out Purcell. I have already forgotten how I stumbled upon Zadok.

#24205 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:47

I really like Classic FM and have come across composers I hadn’t heard of before on it. I have no objection to single movements of pieces. If I really like something I will find it on YouTube in its entirety .

I'm fine with the music they play, but the ads drive me up the wall.

#24206 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 11 August 2022 - 13:35

Ads are a definite no no, which is fine if you want to remove unwanted hair.

#24207 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19390 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 August 2022 - 14:04

Well of course they need income from ads to finance the channel.

I generally only listen to an hour or so late at night (Smooth Classics), sometimes partly whilst in bed.  The main problem with this is that there are lots of pieces which are simply played far too frequently, and you get fed up of hearing them, popular though many find them. It ought to be possible after playing a certain piece  for it not to be repeated within say a month. Some are played weekly.  

#24208 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 11 August 2022 - 14:10

I generally only listen to an hour or so late at night (Smooth Classics), sometimes partly whilst in bed.  The main problem with this is that there are lots of pieces which are simply played far too frequently 

Yes, I used to have radio 3 on all day every day. Back 30 years ago I started to notice repeats of whole programmes.

R3 are currently overdoing Canteloube. I get sick of Bailero normally being the only Song of the Auvergne they ever play. This morning Te Kanawa was doing some others, so maybe he is currently their composer of the month. Nowadays in the afternoons I try to practise the violin when I'm at home, so R3 is only on in the mornings.

#24209 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 11 August 2022 - 18:49

I spent 10 weeks in the UK a couple of years before we moved here.  That was long enough for me on classic FM and also taught me how I didn't fully appreciate the "equivalent" station in Sydney, which is a classic music station community funded, with lots of volunteers involved in running it, and only occasional need to mention sponsors!  Better programmes than classic fm too ...

#24210 JoannaB

JoannaB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Member: 28767
  • SW London

Posted 13 August 2022 - 18:16

Boy woke us up sick at 1am, then 2, then 3. Went quiet for a couple of hours then I joined in at 5.
My poor husband has been wonderful all day dealing with us. Boy managed toast for tea and is heading to bed. I'm not quite there yet but hopefully soon.
I hate being sick.