Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted Yesterday, 15:41

Aaaargh ... I do wish politicians, reporters and commentators would stop referring to the pandemic in the past tense - one even said "Now the pandemic is over" yesterday. We currently have 45,000 new cases a day of Covid-19, one of the highest rates in Europe (again) and while many cases are less serious now that we have vaccines, more than 700 people a day are bad enough to require admission to our hard-pressed hospitals. More than 5 million folk have still not been fully vaccinated, leaving us well short of the desired 85% vaccination rate for the Delta variant.

According to figures released by the ONS today, just over one million people in the UK are estimated to have had Covid in the week to 9 October - the highest figure since the end of January - 1 in 20 (some 50,000) of whom are likely to suffer "long covid". This pandemic is far from over.

One of the final nails in the coffin of somewhere I have worked happily for 34 years was being told, breezily, by a member of SLT, 'Now we're post-Covid we can all get back to normal!'

:(

Many of our schools have gone "back to normal". I get this info from pupils who arrive at my house for their lesson and are very happy to adopt the same measures that I operated on since going back to face-to-face lessons. The Covid number for our postcode has gone through the roof - it's about 800! We have at least 10 schools within a mile radius.

Last week, the boys' school apparently back-tracked a little and pupils now have to wear masks in communal areas and the canteen. (My source of info said the Y7s were hardest hit.) 

Someone in authority needs to explain clearly what the "end" of the pandemic involves - I've only heard 1 coherent explanation on the radio and that was buried in a R4 current affairs kind of programme.

#23147 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted Yesterday, 17:58

What was the R4 explanation, Hedgehog? So far I haven't heard any, the commonly accepted definition seems to be that it'll be over when we get tired of the precautions...

#23148 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted Yesterday, 21:08

What was the R4 explanation, Hedgehog? So far I haven't heard any, the commonly accepted definition seems to be that it'll be over when we get tired of the precautions...

Apparently the end of the pandemic would be when somebody in authority (maybe WHO or similar) declared Covid-19 endemic (or generally found within the population). In fact there now seems to be a little bit more along those lines if you search online. 

#23149 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted Yesterday, 21:14

Thanks, Hedgehog! So if I understand that correctly, when the bug is in circulation but no longer presents a problem that would require significant changes to society. Like other infectious diseases that people get from time to time, I suppose. That makes sense.

I imagine one of the most important factors in this will be how long immunity lasts.

#23150 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted Yesterday, 21:37

Thanks, Hedgehog! So if I understand that correctly, when the bug is in circulation but no longer presents a problem that would require significant changes to society. Like other infectious diseases that people get from time to time, I suppose. That makes sense.

I imagine one of the most important factors in this will be how long immunity lasts.

Yes - and whether the virus evolves so that it becomes less harmful.  This would obviously be a long process.  I wonder if it'll be one of those situations like we have with the flu virus where more vulnerable individuals receive an annual vaccination.  Hopefully some boffins are working on how much immunity we are actually getting/keeping from the jabs in terms of our T-cell system.