#23131 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:29

Aeolienne, I expect you will have tried this, but have you rung the number that Ecotricity provide "for meter faults that leave you off supply"01453 373033 ? (bottom of the page on https://www.ecotrici...and-gas-leaks).

If they really don't have a 24/7 emergency number, they should be reported to the energy ombudsman: 0330 440 1624.

#23132 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7154 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:30

For the second time in under a month my PAYG gas meter is displaying a "call help" message. I've got no heating or hot water. I've rung every single phone number I have for my supplier (Ecotricity) but each one informs me that the office is now closed and refers me to their website - which tells me that their offices are only open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 18:00. Citizens' Advice say that a gas supplier is obliged to fix a broken meter within 4 hours on a non-working day, so how Ecotricity are allowed to get away with no out-of-hours emergency contact number I have no idea.

https://www.citizens...eter-is-faulty/

That's not acceptable - that's a complaint straight to the regulator, but doesn't fix your immediate issue.

There is a very serious conversation to be had around what I will euphemistically call 'modern business practice' 

#23133 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:58

I think the problem may simply be that Aeolienne hadn't found the emergency number that I gave in my earlier post (I tried it this Sunday morning and was told that a representative would be with me shortly - I didn't hang on to find out, as I didn't want to block the system for people reporting emergencies, but it sounded genuine enough).

#23134 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 10 October 2021 - 21:01

Aeolienne, I expect you will have tried this, but have you rung the number that Ecotricity provide "for meter faults that leave you off supply"01453 373033 ? (bottom of the page on https://www.ecotrici...and-gas-leaks).

If they really don't have a 24/7 emergency number, they should be reported to the energy ombudsman: 0330 440 1624.

That was one of the numbers I rang already. I'm utterly baffled that you were able to get through and I couldn't. Even more puzzling is that the link you have posted gives office hours which include weekends - yet the page I originally consulted only mentions Monday to Friday: https://www.ecotrici...t/pay-as-you-go

Could this be as mundane an explanation as the phone operator(s) arriving late for their Saturday shift? Yet this begs the question why no-one got back to me via Facebook messenger or indeed via my usual contact details after I'd posted a help request via the app...

#23135 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:27

Could this be as mundane an explanation as the phone operator(s) arriving late for their Saturday shift?

I guess that's possible. I notice that the Which Magazine review of Ecotricity, while mentioning several good feaures, quotes one of the customers they contacted as saying "no one answers the phone". I still think that if they are not fulfilling their statutory obligation to restore service within 4 hours, the energy regulator should be asked to investigate.

#23136 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 11 October 2021 - 13:00

Why do people NOT read instructions!

I have a pension pot from a previous employer who is offering an enhanced transfer value to move it. They have allowed us to use a financial advisor for free. Having working in IT for financial services most of my life, I would say it is very straightforward; if it was DC pension then take the extra cash and move to my SIPP, if it was DB then leave it, but it is a hybrid combination of the two which makes it difficult for me to work out.

The advisor needs my current employer pension to complete a short form to give him some information to work out if that is a suitable option. It took me 2 weeks to get a reply as to where to send the form, I then sent it and got a reply pointing me to the transfer in form for me to complete. That was NOT what I asked or what is required. If the advisor doesn't get the form he is not allowed to complete the advice at all (FCA regs).

DB = Defined Benefit e.g. final salary scheme

DC = Defined Contribution e.g. money goes into investments directly

SIPP = Self Invested Personal Pension, basically the same as DC but controlled by yourself not your employer

#23137 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 11 October 2021 - 15:14

So far as I can work out, pension administrators operate to quite simple rules:

(1) Provision of any form of information will cost at least an arm and a leg, probably several arms, a leg and a couple of internal organs. They will probably disclose their own telephone number for about £300. If you want them to do something drastic, like tell you how much your pension is currently worth, it'll cost even more. If you do something stupid like get divorced, and need to know what the pension is likely to be worth, you're talking thousands. Yes, there's a function in Excel that will do the maths, but someone's still got to type it in...

(2) In the first instance, all information sent will be not what you asked for

(3) And even the simplest enquiries will take two to three weeks. Again, if you're considering getting divorced, then by the time they've worked out how to advise your lawyer on the size of your pension pot, you will probably have remarried, had three kids, got one of them to University, and got divorced again.

(4) When they do send the information you ask for, it will be wrong.

(5) But there will be a complicated disclaimer explaining why no one is allowed to assume it's right...

(6)... unless you pay them again for an enhanced reply where they promise that the data might be right.

Good luck! Basically, in any scenario where you're working to a deadline, it is completely impossible to get the correct data in time.

#23138 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7154 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 11 October 2021 - 21:45

I'm currently waiting for the current value of my DC bit of my pension which I have not done anything with. Asked for it a couple of weeks ago as I'm due my annual review with my IFA

#23139 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:45

I'm currently waiting for the current value of my DC bit of my pension which I have not done anything with. Asked for it a couple of weeks ago as I'm due my annual review with my IFA

Surprised you can't access that online; I have a few from previous employers and I have access online to all of them via whichever administrator is looking after it.

#23140 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:52

Aaaargh ... I do wish politicians, reporters and commentators would stop referring to the pandemic in the past tense - one even said "Now the pandemic is over" yesterday. We currently have 45,000 new cases a day of Covid-19, one of the highest rates in Europe (again) and while many cases are less serious now that we have vaccines, more than 700 people a day are bad enough to require admission to our hard-pressed hospitals. More than 5 million folk have still not been fully vaccinated, leaving us well short of the desired 85% vaccination rate for the Delta variant.

According to figures released by the ONS today, just over one million people in the UK are estimated to have had Covid in the week to 9 October - the highest figure since the end of January - 1 in 20 (some 50,000) of whom are likely to suffer "long covid". This pandemic is far from over.

#23141 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7154 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted Yesterday, 18:26

Surprised you can't access that online; I have a few from previous employers and I have access online to all of them via whichever administrator is looking after it.

It seesm that whilst I can log in and request a value, it requires some sort of actuarial involvement...

#23142 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted Yesterday, 22:07

Aaaargh ... I do wish politicians, reporters and commentators would stop referring to the pandemic in the past tense - one even said "Now the pandemic is over" yesterday. We currently have 45,000 new cases a day of Covid-19, one of the highest rates in Europe (again) and while many cases are less serious now that we have vaccines, more than 700 people a day are bad enough to require admission to our hard-pressed hospitals. More than 5 million folk have still not been fully vaccinated, leaving us well short of the desired 85% vaccination rate for the Delta variant.

According to figures released by the ONS today, just over one million people in the UK are estimated to have had Covid in the week to 9 October - the highest figure since the end of January - 1 in 20 (some 50,000) of whom are likely to suffer "long covid". This pandemic is far from over.

One of the final nails in the coffin of somewhere I have worked happily for 34 years was being told, breezily, by a member of SLT, 'Now we're post-Covid we can all get back to normal!'

:(