elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2101 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 20 September 2021 - 14:26

@ Barry, go for it! You'd be great.

@ Hildegard, I'm sure you're right. In fact for a moment, seeing the new ABRSM home page, I thought they had indeed closed the forum. But on the subject of securing ones own posts: I have absolutely no idea what ABRSM forum's policy is. At a forum where I once moderated, which folded (honestly, no connection between those two facts) there was a lot of ill-feeling at the end because the usage agreement actually made it clear that copyright on all posts belonged to the site, not to the individual who posted. I can't see it being a massive issue here, but there were a number of people in the other forum who wanted to amalgamate their posts into teaching-info, self-help-guides etc., and felt rather aggrieved. In the end, of course, because the entire organisation had folded, taking its forum with it, there was no one left to enforce any copyright issues. But as a volunteer moderator of a collapsing forum, I didn't feel much motivation to spend hours trying to sort out who owned what, and make sure people had copies of things they'd lost. It was all a bit sad. What I'd say is: now is a time for swapping of alternative contact details!

#23057 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18996 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 September 2021 - 15:53

Just saying hello to Corenfa - we haven't forgotten you pet. Hang in there.

Yes as I mentioned I had an FB exchange with her last week, she was still waiting for approval of a new account !

#23058 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4027 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 20 September 2021 - 16:48

I was a victim of the TES debacle. Some users set up a new forum which has worked really well, though it's quite a lot of work for them, and because TES closed so abruptly there was no way of letting people know that there was a new place for them to go to meet their old friends. Most people have now made their way there, by various routes, but a few haven't, which is really sad.

#23059 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8712 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 20 September 2021 - 22:02

There seems to be no interest from ABRSM in this forum.

I rarely look at the ABRSM home page.  I've just done so and there's no link any more to this forum from the top of that page.  I did find a link to the forum - right at the bottom of the page below "Pension Scheme Implementation Statement."

It wouldn't surprise me if that is a precursor to removing the forum. Something similar happened to the Times Education Forum earlier this year - a forum for teachers of all subjects and much larger than this forum. The TES forum was supposedly "under maintenance" for several weeks and then it just disappeared, losing a wealth of knowledge in the mllions of messages that were just deleted. Several people tried to get access to the archive so they could secure their own posts but were told that all content had been erased on the 18th January this year.

Sadly, I agree : I don’t think the forum is much longer for this world.
I do own what is currently a blank Invision forum (the company that provides the software to run this place), which I’m happy to turn into a successor to here, but that will largely depend on me finding a music education company to hook it onto, in order to get more people to join and keep the place vibrant. Also you’d probably have to put up with me as a moderator, which might irritate a great many of you :lol:

I'll come along with you Barry if ever it comes to that. You would be a great moderator!

I am afraid I also suspect that we are being wound down. I sincerely hope it isn't the case. I have been thinking of that possibility ever since we all went into our first lock downs as there were a lot fewer posts - basically because we were all dealing - and are still dealing - with the huge  problems we were suddenly up against - which has been enormously time consuming for many members, I am sure.

This forum is one of the remaining positive things about the ABRSM. It is a friendly and helpful community and is particularly useful to those of us who live out in the sticks and have very few or no real life colleagues within reach. It is a place which I have found to be a mine of musical information. I have been helped in my teaching by people here who have passed on ideas. I like the fact that we can talk about other things besides music. We have good discussions and even when we don't agree with others, the level of tolerance and politeness is pretty high. Some of the poeple on here are very interesting personnalities as well as being caring teachers and intelligent musicians. It's the only reason why I think that if ever the ABRSM manages to reinstate face to face examinations with real live examiners ( we have been told there will be no exams in France this summer) and if ever the miracle of the ending of the G5 theory requirement were to happen, I wouldn't think about looking at another board.

I consider many of the people here to be my forum friends. I have only ever met one person  from the forum in real life but that person has become a  very much appreciated friend. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can say something like that.

I was horrified to hear what happened to the TES forum. What a nasty, high handed way to treat people. Perhaps we should all try to post as much as possible to try to keep this place alive. Maybe they don't intend to shut us down. Perhaps we are just feeling a bit nervous. Let's hope so. It's been a hard couple of years and we all need a bit of humanity, friendship  and support in everything from teaching to throwing out the clutter. I'm not doing very well on that score, Norway!

#23060 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:39

I'd be shattered to lose this community. I'm not a music teacher, just an amateur musician, but I second everything Aquarelle said.

And the recorder thread, we can't lose the hundreds of pages of the recorder thread!

#23061 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:31

I was horrified to hear what happened to the TES forum. What a nasty, high handed way to treat people. Perhaps we should all try to post as much as possible to try to keep this place alive. Maybe they don't intend to shut us down. Perhaps we are just feeling a bit nervous. Let's hope so.

What was particularly despicable was being told that the TES forum was down for maintenance over Christmas; then, when "Christmas" seemed to have lasted for a very long time, being told that the "maintenance" was more complicated than expected in order to ensure that the site was in line with the compliance standards of the rest of TES, before the company revealed in January that they had deleted everything back on 23rd December - including threads in which people frightened by the pandemic and alone were seeking support from others.

There were rumours that the forum was closed because the company feared expensive legal action as governments threatened to clamp down on social media. I have no idea if that was true.

#23062 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20548 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:28

It appears one thing AB may be considering is an online directory of teachers. 

Anyone else received / completed the recent survey on qualifications and training ?

#23063 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3443 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:03

Yup, I did

Bx

#23064 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:00

Anyone else received / completed the recent survey on qualifications and training ?

I suspect the ABRSM think I’m a pain in their proverbial backside these days - I haven’t received said survey :lol:

#23065 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:08

I'd be shattered to lose this community. I'm not a music teacher, just an amateur musician, but I second everything Aquarelle said.

And the recorder thread, we can't lose the hundreds of pages of the recorder thread!

Somewhere along the line, we need to know what the ABRSM plan is. If they do plan to wind the forum down, I’d rather like to save a few of the best posts and add them (with copyright) to any new forum, if I am able to find a new home with a music education company or examining board.
If it’s just culled a la TES forum, that task will be very much harder.
This limbo-y state the current forum is in (imo) is of no help to anyone.

#23066 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:13

Given all the (entirely justified) criticism here of the ABRSM in the last few years, I'm surprised they haven't shut it down already.  :( 

#23067 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10889 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:52

As a very long-standing member of this Forum I would be very sad to see it go. :(

It would be very hard to get back together elsewhere if this were to go suddenly, as, apart from those of us who have met in Real Life, we don't actually know who we all are. I know many will be loath to give up their anonymity, but it comes at a cost if we can't reconnect. Maybe we ought to form some sort of chain, where one person knows how to find at least one other if the worst comes to the worst.

#23068 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 21 September 2021 - 13:39

Not exactly being devil's advocate, but just saying...

In fairness to ABRSM they are primarily about music, so any justification for the forum (which must cost something in terms of time and resources) would presumably be connected to music.  I have only recently dipped into the Café and don't read most of what's on it, but I have used the Viva Woodwind forum for several years, and to be honest, it's not exactly humming.  Only 3 threads have had any posts in the last 30 days.  Compare that with the Bboard clarinet forum on woodwind.org - so far today (and it's still quite early in USA where I think many of its members are based) 6 threads have had at least one post.  27 threads have had at least one post in the last week.  And that's just for clarinet: 23 threads have had at least one post on the bassoon forum; the flute forum hasn't been very busy but 6 threads have been updated in the last week on the oboe forum.  That's probably more oboe stuff than Viva Woodwind gets for months at a time.  I don't use any of the other ABRSM forums at all but a quick look suggests that they too are not exactly the life and soul of the party.

I think the forum is great, I really like it and will be sad if it ceases upon the midnight clear, but if I were responsible for the ABRSM budget, I would be wondering how much of it could be committed to a public service that allows people to comment regularly on the weather.

#23069 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8712 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 21 September 2021 - 13:51

Oh dear, there I feel you really are being a bit old and grumpy. The whole point is that we are full, rounded personalities and the extra bits and pieces we share help to cement us together as a group of musicians who are also real people. What we learn about other teacher's  attitudes to life, about their problems, their interests, their tastes, adds a kind of human richness to the questions about technique, interpretation, difficult pupils, bothersome parents and so on. Its a bit like a huge school staff room with a good team of teachers interacting about a lot of different things. Many teachers need help and support and many are willing to give it and it goes a lot futher than how to teach litle Mary her scales. It is one thing the ABRSM have got right. I only hope they realize that!

#23070 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6982 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 21 September 2021 - 13:57

I've received it, but not completed it. Maybe I should ..... and say what a helpful joy this forum can be .... especially as it's anonymous (if you want it to be).