#22756 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:10

Ah, a phone with bad bluetooth, the secret desire of everyone in the current pingdemic.

FWIW I have a Fairphone.

I don't actually have a Fairphone, I have an ancient nexus I bought 2nd hand for about €50 but it works for me (I do have /e/ on it and getting rid of all the bloatware probably helps to extend its life) but I will get a fairphone next time.  It's insane that you can't even replace the battery in most phones nowadays.

#22757 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:18

I just got back from my local supermarket, and it's a bit weird there. You see, there isn't any pasta, and the rice is down to the last three half-kg bags which were all about eight quid each, and there are hardly any biscuits, no fruit-juice, and most of the tinned beans were gone too. In fact there wasn't really very much of anything, except signs saying 'bear with us, we are experiencing high demand'.

Is it really that bad?  I had no idea.  The were a few shortages at the start of the first lockdown last year, clearly down to panic buying, but that got sorted pretty quickly and since then the only ones I have experienced (in Ireland) are cottage cheese and vitamin pills.  Mrs G likes cottage cheese but it's been quite difficult to get - Tesco seem to have replaced it with quark - and I assume that's because it mainly comes from UK.  The vitamin pill thing is presumably to do with hugely increased demand given the pandemic.

#22758 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:54

We haven't been to any supermarkets for over a year. Just before lockdown - in January, the nearest supermarket - which is some distance and not very big, more of a corner shop - had some issues over toilet rolls, tissues and some fresh produce. Our deliveries now come from some distance away and last time there were strange things missing. However, we're vegetarians and our pulses etc come via an on-line shop in any case so that hasn't been an issue. Flour and yeast were problematic but I now buy that from an artisan mill. We gave up trying to get fresh milk - it would have been difficult without Covid and we now buy dried milk directly from a vending machine company! We make it up in milk bottles and we've got used to it. What we hadn't been able to get for well over a year was butternut squashes but a couple of weeks ago they became available again. However, we grow stuff and we have a really good pressure cooker. I think it depends where you are and how much you already got online. It also depends on how much you usually have in store. I think some people have been hit really hard by it all and some don't have the financial resources to buy equipment (breadmaker, pressure cooker, slow cook, yogurt maker etc etc) which all help to overcome the deficits. And food prices have risen - at least here they have.

We didn't have any deliveries here for the first month. I was on the extreme risk list but that didn't work in my case. I fell out with the supermarket I'd been with since I was 40 over what happened during lockdown because I know that whatever discomfort I felt, many more people were at lot worse off and didn't have the resources to fix the problems. Lockdown hasn't been a trial for us. We have land round us and the house was a wreck so we had plenty to occupy our minds. However, for a lot of people it has clearly been extremely difficult. It has also been extremely unfair. And as I say, they don't have the financial resources to act as a buffer.

We didn't have the use of a car until a few months ago either which got us into the hole in my bucket scenario. Again, I assume for people without their own transport, who were a distance from shops it must have been hellish. Do you use petrol risking the shops and find nothing you want there or what? Some of us have got off pretty lightly. Others haven't. It depends.

#22759 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:11

It is interesting (and this isn't really an Argh!) that this week I've had 3 appointments for different things - spectacles, dress-maker consultation (for outfit for wedding - I don't usually indulge in dressmakers!!!) and piano tuner.  All of them have been affected either by Covid, or Brexit, or unknown family emergency.

I've also ordered several (!) 3 piece suits for Mr Hedgehog to try on here at home for said wedding - currently I have 2/3 of one suit - which doesn't really fit and will need to be returned. I'm just waiting for the remaining 1/3 - which may or may not arrive - so that I can just make one journey to the shop to return the whole thing. I can see this wedding organisation is not going to be plain sailing.

#22760 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:28

I think it is a very variable situation depending where in the country (UK) you are and what sort of things you are looking for but it certainly seems to be getting worse in the last few weeks. I have so far managed ok with my monthly shopping needs from online delivery from sainsbury.  There have been substitutions but mainly different flavours or sizes or brands and not too bad. I also have a good stock cupboard and have always ordered the new item  long time in advance of needing it so have chance to make multiple tries if needed. This is not the case for many people who are living week to week etc. We are rural but not far from a small town with a different chain supermarket so can try in there too if needed.

I have a friend however who has a daughter with multiple medical needs and they need certain foods to be specific ingredient free (not just dairy free/gluten free) etc  and they are really struggling to get what she needs.

I also feel I have got off very lightly during lockdown as i have a large garden and multiple instrument practice to keep me occupied and also have OH for company. Many people are in a very different situation .

#22761 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10892 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:49

I was lucky to be able to get sparkling mineral water today: the supermarket delivery driver said that they had huge trouble getting both that and chicken at the moment. It's all to do with a shortage of lorry drivers.

#22762 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:11

Sainsbury's seems to be the worst, and Waitrose the best, for stock at the moment. Our local shops are fully stocked apart from the co-op, but that's not well stocked at the best of times!

There is masses of wild fruit growing round here. Huge numbers of cherry trees, plum trees and blackberries. But I am almost the only person who picks them. Not everyone has the time, but for those without work to go to I cannot understand why they aren't out there taking advantage of all that free food! Is it just a lost thing? There is a mirabelle tree next to the pharmacy door. Apart from the ones that I pick, they just fall to the ground and rot. Yet hundreds off people must pass them every day.

#22763 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20576 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 03 August 2021 - 13:44

So far we’ve been very fortunate, with deliveries from Sainsbury’s most weeks in the past 6 months, and top-ups now and again from Co-op, and very few missing items. I generally say ‘ no substitutions’: if I have run out of something or am about to, I order two different ones, so that if one is out of stock I stand a chance of getting the other.  Co-op don’t give you the option of ‘no substitutions, though there have been only a couple, and both ok.  

However the news is not encouraging at the moment, and it’ll be interesting to see how this week works out. 

Must make sure we have a spare bag of lentils! 

Elemimele - we have a large bag of pasta - if you’re anywhere near us I’m happy to pass it over!  PM me if you’re in south London. 

#22764 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2119 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 August 2021 - 19:52

that is so super kind of you! Unfortunately I'm not in Croydon, but it's that sort of community-spirited kindness that makes the human race worthwhile, thank you. To be fair, my local Sainsbury's nice lady reckons this is a temporary supply-chain problem triggered by the pingdemic hitting when they were already fragile because of the European drivers situation, and that she thinks it's already improving, it's just that there's a 2-week lag.

I share Vron's concerns; the combined Covid and Brexit things hit different people in different ways. My kid does have minor food issues, which makes things less flexible. I'm less fussy for myself: provided the bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes don't all run out simultaneously, I'm okay. Ah well, we live in interesting times.

#22765 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15212 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 03 August 2021 - 22:26

So far we’ve been very fortunate, with deliveries from Sainsbury’s most weeks in the past 6 months, and top-ups now and again from Co-op, and very few missing items. I generally say ‘ no substitutions’: if I have run out of something or am about to, I order two different ones, so that if one is out of stock I stand a chance of getting the other.  Co-op don’t give you the option of ‘no substitutions, though there have been only a couple, and both ok.  

However the news is not encouraging at the moment, and it’ll be interesting to see how this week works out. 

Must make sure we have a spare bag of lentils! 

Elemimele - we have a large bag of pasta - if you’re anywhere near us I’m happy to pass it over!  PM me if you’re in south London. 

We had a Sainsbury's order on Monday and there were about 10 items unavailable  :angry: .

Several had a very short shelf life and when I went to make a fruit salad tonight the raspberries and strawberries (use by 5th August) were squishy and unappetising - and as for the organic grapes which I treated myself to...well...said supermarket is going to get a Grumpy Call tomorrow...

:(

#22766 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20576 posts
  • S E England

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:51

Elemimele - thanks for your kind reply. It was a long shot !!  but you never know.  :-) 

Cyrilla - sorry to hear of your order woes. I hope you get some replacements. 

I think I may hold the record for missing items - though it was a few years ago now - tesco - twenty-seven. 

#22767 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:07

Elemimele - thanks for your kind reply. It was a long shot !!  but you never know.  :-) 

Cyrilla - sorry to hear of your order woes. I hope you get some replacements. 

I think I may hold the record for missing items - though it was a few years ago now - tesco - twenty-seven. 

Wow, 27 is a lot. I hope it wasn't 27/28! We work on the principle that they send the best they can and unless they send us something that isn't vegetarian we accept it and I rearrange the meals around the supermarket's sell by dates which sometimes makes for an exciting time. We have had some very interesting substitutions - for example yeast flakes instead of yeast. But I'm now a fan of yeast flakes so I'm really grateful for that 'wrong' sub.

#22768 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20576 posts
  • S E England

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:22

Haha - no I think it was out of around 50 items. Still a fair proportion though, and I seem to remember I was accepting substs at the time, so a blank ‘ no white loo rolls’ made you think they just hadn’t bothered! 

By the way, in case anyone is unaware, Co-op do a same-day delivery service. I nearly always find them more expensive than Sainsbury’s, but it has been reliable and very useful for a quick top-up in recent weeks. 

I know what you mean about planning meals around sell-by dates!  Another tip - Sainsbury’s will refund on request if you get an item with a very close sell-by-date - certainly covers same-day, and possibly the following day. 

#22769 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:43

I probably should have added my sainsbury order is mostly tinned and dried food with a few other items eg dairy, some meat.. We have a very good fruit and veg shop in the nearby town so dont have to rely on the supermarket for that type of item.

#22770 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:12

I’ve shopped online for many years as I did my mother in law’s shopping which involved many tins. I have always used Tesco’s and I think it’s a brilliant service. I live 12 miles from my nearest big supermarket so in terms of time and driving cost, the delivery charge is very acceptable. I have found their substitutes to be very generous often costing more than the original item, or being a larger quantity. I’ve got them coming tonight so I’ll let you know if there’s lots of items missing.