#22726 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:30

A mini aarrgh: I have set up my new phone and the data, the apps and the settings have transferred seamlessly. But the login information didn't. I can understand why, but it means I'll have to reset passwords EVERYWHERE because I just don't remember them. I guess I should have installed a proper password manager long ago!

#22727 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 26 July 2021 - 13:17

I think i'm going to have to get a new job :argh: (i'm planning on leaving but haven't quit yet)
Problem is I don't know what I want to do. All of my work experience is retail but I don't really want to be stuck in retail.

Is it worth seeing if you can get a teaching post somewhere, Rach?

#22728 JoannaB

JoannaB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 28767
  • SW London

Posted 26 July 2021 - 13:29

I think i'm going to have to get a new job :argh: (i'm planning on leaving but haven't quit yet)
Problem is I don't know what I want to do. All of my work experience is retail but I don't really want to be stuck in retail.

I also started in retail and hated it. Changed to teaching in my early 30's and enjoy that much more.

#22729 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:38

I ordered a new bathroom suite to be delivered tomorrow, and it is now saying it might - but might not - be delivered today instead. I have booked a trip to the tip and then have to go to the vets this afternoon, and I'm not sure I can trust my kids to bring it inside if it does turn up. Fingers crossed, but really poor customer service to not be able to say when its coming or stick to prior arrangements.

#22730 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 14:03

I am now seriously fed up. My bathroom was showing as delivered, despite it not having arrived, so I contacted the shop. Apparently the courrier delivered it to the wrong house, and they accepted it and signed for it. Thank you so much 'Bob' - got it muddled up with your own bathroom that was due today did you? Do they not realise it is not only stealing to take someone else's delivery, but not very clever as the courier will probably remember where he went.

#22731 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 28 July 2021 - 16:29

That particular courier probably won't remember. :rolleyes:  I hope you get your bathroom sorted out OK.

I'm awaiting a new bright red and cute retro microwave. :fingersCrossed:  I wanted one that plays The White Cliffs of Dover instead of pinging, but strangely no one has invented that yet. 

#22732 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6884 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 28 July 2021 - 18:49

I am now seriously fed up. My bathroom was showing as delivered, despite it not having arrived, so I contacted the shop. Apparently the courrier delivered it to the wrong house, and they accepted it and signed for it. Thank you so much 'Bob' - got it muddled up with your own bathroom that was due today did you? Do they not realise it is not only stealing to take someone else's delivery, but not very clever as the courier will probably remember where he went.

How on earth can someone else sign for a bathroom that in all probability they weren't expecting....? :blink:

Hope it gets sorted out without any more snags.

#22733 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 21:16

Still no news on the bathroom. On reflection, its just as likely the driver signed for it and didn't deliver it as somebody else just thought they'd like a free bathroom. Its stressful as the summer holiday is the only time I can do this work as I am using my teaching room to store things, so any delays could potentially cause problems with getting it all finished and cleared before September. I had also timed it so that the worst of it would be next week when my youngest is on scout camp and my eldest is still at uni.

#22734 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7075 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:24

Oh, zwhe, that's awful.

The worst we had was a card through the door when we were out, and when we tried to arrange re-delivery online, the parcel "didn't exist" in the system.  A phone call to the depot by Mr M followed, they maintained it didn't exist, so he tried to get them to explain how they came to travel our house and put a card through the door without a parcel to go with it - exactly what would have happened if we had been in, he'd have rund the doorbell, we'd have answered, and he'd have said "oh, I don't have a parcel for you"?!

The supplier sent us a new parcel with a different courier, which arrived safely, and said they would sort it out with the delivery company so we left them to it.

We have a pretty good guess at what happened, seeing as the box had "ORKNEY BREWERY" in big letters on the side...but it was only a crate of beer, not an entire bathroom!!!

#22735 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:27

... it brings up thoughts of those poor unfortunate postmen who find themselves behind on their deliveries and just stuff the bag of letters under the bed. A year later, their house is full of envelopes up to ceiling height, and someone finds out, and the whole thing lands up as a sad little case in court, with stories of how they couldn't cope with the stress and were in denial. Somewhere there is a courier with eight bathrooms, a couple of kitchens and a loft-conversion all because his wife wanted him home by 4.30 so he didn't have time to make the last delivery...

Zhwe, this should not happen, and as you said, it's pretty daft, because you can't really conceal a lost bathroom. Losing a bathroom plumbs new depths. 

These things can be hugely complicated. I had a lego-set as click-and-collect from a local small shop (Amazon pick-up point) once, but the delivery driver accidentally clicked the "delivered to customer" button instead of delivered to agent. Who would have thought that such a small error could bring a complete system to a grinding standstill. Pick-up point definitely had it (I saw it with my own eyes, with my name on the label), but couldn't give me the parcel because I hadn't got the QR code. Amazon help person couldn't send me a QR code because the parcel, according to their system, hadn't arrived at the pick-up point. Amazon help person said that I could get a full refund if I returned the package. But since I didn't have the package, I couldn't return it. I could have complained that it hadn't been delivered, if it hadn't, but since it had been delivered to me (which it hadn't) I didn't have a right to complain that it hadn't arrived (even though, Amazon-help-person acknowledged) it wasn't supposed to have been delivered to me. I suggested to pick-up point that they return the parcel, but they said they couldn't return it because I hadn't collected it, and for all they knew, I might come and collect it the next day, and how could I do that if they'd returned it?

But it's a lot less stressful not-losing a half-delivered lego-set than completely losing a bathroom. Good luck!

#22736 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:53

The delivery company has apparently found it and it should be delivered tomorrow. That is good news bathroom-wise but does mean that I now have to stay at home tomorrow and not do the things I had planned. I can't do them today as my car is being fixed. At least they've refunded the delivery charge.

I've had lots of small things disappear in the past. One particular ex-courier forged everyone's signatures and didn't bother delivering. He managed to get away with it for a couple of days before enough people noticed (and presumably the company realised that everyone round here had suspiciously similar handwriting).

I had one recently that said it was 'with a neighbour' and didn't say which one. I queried it with Amazon, and they told me to try and look for it myself. After trying the few nearest, I told them that they either send a replacement or send someone to knock on everyone's doors themselves as I had better things to do with my time. They sent a replacement.

My favourite delivery though had to be the one that said it had been left by the back door. I live in a row of terraced houses, and a row of shops backs on to us. There is a locked metal gate under a tunnel for access to my garden and one neighbour's. There is absolutely no way of getting to my back door without the key, unless you go out the fire escape of the shop behind onto their flat roof, then jump off the roof into my garden. I'm not sure how you would get back up there unless you brought a ladder though!

#22737 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:35

I still don't understand how anyone can lose a bathroom...

I've had the "left by a back gate" too. In my case the courier had gone to the wrong village.

#22738 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10893 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 29 July 2021 - 13:23

I was a victim of the postman-hiding-the-post syndrome. Sadly the missing post included my students' exam results, in the days before ABRSM put them online. The poor examiner had to rewrite the results from her carbon copies, and ABRSM reprinted the certificates.

The missing post eventually turned up, months later, when someone read the meter in a block of flats a few roads away. The temporary Christmas postman had shoved them in there rather than delivering them.

#22739 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15214 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 30 July 2021 - 22:29

I really have an aversion to People Who Are Too Clever For Their Own Good...

:angry:

#22740 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 31 July 2021 - 14:55

Me too. And self awareness is rarely one of their talents.