Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6754 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 21 January 2021 - 21:44

I think what has happened is that there was a major leak of e-mail addresses from some key company that many people will have used (can't remember who it is meant to have been). The addresses seem to have got out into the wild and like the others here I've been hit by about 50 or more spam e-mails a day for the last month or so. Most of mine seem to be bogus anti-virus 'subscription reminders', in additon to the usual ones from gorgeous Svetlana, postgraduate blonde astrophysicist, who apparently wishes to marry me...    

#21797 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20276 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 21 January 2021 - 23:59

There was a major leak from an energy supplier late last year - (I think it was People’s Energy) and having used them in the past, we braced ourselves for the onslaught - but we don’t seem to have been affected.

I’ve been getting all the #### emails, but it would have been my OH’s details on their records, not mine. And he hasn’t had any so far. 

#21798 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:46

Gmail screens out nearly all my spam. I could look at it all if I wanted.

#21799 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20276 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:02

Gmail screens out nearly all my spam. I could look at it all if I wanted.

My gmail does too.  

The spam comes into a ‘spare’ and older blueyonder box - which I kept purely for commercial stuff anyway, and whose days may be numbered!  But until the end of last year, this one screened pretty well too - and still does in some cases. 

#21800 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 22 January 2021 - 14:01

I don't know how many span emails my gmail screens out. But one threatening one landed in my spam folder a few days ago, trying to extort over $5,000 out of me and threatening me with sending out compromising videos of me to all my friends and family if I didn't pay up. There's one thing the scammer overlooked though - no such videos exist, and I don't have a webcam. What was scary though, was that he knew one of my passwords, and quoted it. Needless to say, I am taking steps to be better password-protected.

#21801 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6907 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 22 January 2021 - 14:05

I don't know how many span emails my gmail screens out. But one threatening one landed in my spam folder a few days ago, trying to extort over $5,000 out of me and threatening me with sending out compromising videos of me to all my friends and family if I didn't pay up. There's one thing the scammer overlooked though - no such videos exist, and I don't have a webcam. What was scary though, was that he knew one of my passwords, and quoted it. Needless to say, I am taking steps to be better password-protected.

Yes, I got that one too. It's ridiculous because a) I don't watch the type of videos that apparently put me in a compromising position and b) my webcam is taped over with a piece of cardboard. 

The password thing was because ages ago I used to use the same password for everything when the internet was younger. One of the insecure sites which I used it on was clearly hacked, so my old password has made it out on some list bought by scammers. I stopped using that password ages ago when I realised this possibility so it wasn't too surprising that it eventually showed up. 

#21802 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 22 January 2021 - 15:53

Yes, I got that one too. It's ridiculous because a) I don't watch the type of videos that apparently put me in a compromising position and b) my webcam is taped over with a piece of cardboard. 

The password thing was because ages ago I used to use the same password for everything when the internet was younger. One of the insecure sites which I used it on was clearly hacked, so my old password has made it out on some list bought by scammers. I stopped using that password ages ago when I realised this possibility so it wasn't too surprising that it eventually showed up. 

Thank you, Corenfa - that is immensely reassuring.

#21803 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14920 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 22 January 2021 - 22:04

Upset and utterly exhausted.

BED.

:(

#21804 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14920 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 23 January 2021 - 21:48

What a day.

:( :( :(

I am going to have almost a whole day off tomorrow - really desperately need it.

#21805 Catey

Catey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Member: 71060

Posted 24 January 2021 - 16:52

Why do I always leave my tax return til now...