Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:00

I was in a shop the other day and at the till the guy said that there's 15% off, so I went OK that's about £67 then (it was £66 something). He looked at me like I had two heads and said 'wow - how did you do that so fast?'.... errr "I took a tenth off, plus half of that to make 15%...". His reply? "I couldn't work out a tenth..."

The guy was probably about 40.

Please can I hit my head into a brick wall?

#20237 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2854 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:30

Oh my! It reminds me of the time my husband was paying for a hotel room for one of our boys. Three boys had shared the room and they had stayed for three nights. The cost of the room was £100 a night. The receptionist refused my husband's proffered £100 until she laboriously multiplied the nightly rate by three, and then divided it by three for the three occupants, yes really!.

#20238 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2854 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:32

The unpaid singing didn't go well. In spite of specific instructions from the venue to the chorus as to where and when to meet the relevant staff member, no one was there and no staff knew anything about it! The chorus was allowed to sing for a bit but we're pretty miffed. I got a load not to go, thank goodness!

#20239 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:36

Oh no, how awful Banjogirl! 

#20240 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4668 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:53

:o How ignorant of them. Organise a revolt Banjogirl - no more of that!

#20241 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4947 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:59

I trust this puts paid to any notion of doing it again next year, unless the terms are vastly better.
I hope you heard all this second-hand and didn't go yourself?
It really does sound as if the venue is doing it's best to discourage the choir, without formally issuing a veto.

#20242 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2854 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 15:51

Yes, sorry, it should have said 'I got a  PASS not to go'! Stupid phone.

The last time we went they were very disorganised too (they gave us free entry for everyone plus a guest each, which was a very decent recompense). They hadn't got the list of people coming which they had insisted on us sending them, so they just let anyone in who said they were with us! It's a very expensive event which happens every year. I don't know why they're so chaotic

#20243 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 13 December 2019 - 23:41

This has not been a good day. First of all I watched the earliest news I could and was just as depressed about the new political situation in the UK as about the previous one. Not that I expected anything else but no one wants to start a day with their depression confirmed over breakfast.  I had in any case woken up with a splitting headache.Then I went outside to find that a second tree had been blown down, this one on to the garage roof which now has a hole through which rain was pouring. I still haven't been able to get the first tree removed as there is no hope of getting a heavy vehicle into the garden because the ground is saturated. The surrounding fields are flooded.

having to put some emergency measures into operation to save the contents of the garage I was obliged to phone school and tell them I would be late for the scheduled rehearsal for the Christmas Celebration. I finally got there at 2 pm  not having had time to eat lunch. For various organisational reasons we had to do the rehearsal the wrong way round. I had planned a session whith the "choir" first and to do a complete run through with the mime and readings after that.  The singing, as a result, was far from good. Anyway we had an early playtime (indoors and very noisy) and were about to start the singing session when we got a phone call from the Bordeaux Academy ( the educational authority which runs  this area) telling us that Meteo  France had just put us on red alert for flood and we were to make immediate arrangements to get parents to collect their children.

So my rehearsal began to look like Hadyn's Farewell Symphony. When we were down to 8 I gave up trying and told the last remains of the choir all about that particular Haydnesque joke. At least they went home laughing. I didn't. I taught my first 2 after school piano lessons. The  first was the head teacher's son and she couldn't leave until all the children had been collected. The second was a child who lives quite close and mother came to fetch her and wanted to wait while she did her piano lesson.  The last was  a  family of three brothers  who have a long drive so I rang to suggest they didn't take the risk. No network. So I had to wait to see if they turned up, which they did. So I didn't even get an early evening and driving home in the storm was no joke.

I am just thankful that the tree didn't fall on any one, nor on the neigbour's house and we were more fortunate than many areas in that we didn't have an electricity cut. Roll on tomorrow and particularly Sunday as we have been promised sunshine.

#20244 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted Yesterday, 02:38

Hope today turns out better Aquarelle. Fingers crossed.

#20245 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6003 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted Yesterday, 12:48

Sounds like a day from H***, Aquarelle. Hope your Christmas Celebration doesn't suffer too much from lack of rehearsal time, and that you salvage the things in your garage. Most of all, I hope the flood alerts don't turn into the real thing. Thinking of you.

#20246 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19958 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted Yesterday, 18:55

Oh my  goodness - also thinking of you, Aquarelle. What a day !  

Hope at least the weather eases in the next day or two.