mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4915 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 November 2019 - 13:32

It almost looks as if the organisation is being deliberately discouraging. Did they invite the choir, or did the director offer your services?
I know amateur pianists sometimes play an instrument in these properties but volunteers' standards must vary.
I wonder if the Head of Corporate Whatever has advised them to issue fewer 'giveaways'?
Withdrawing the free guest tickets is understandable but it's unacceptable to make you sing outside (unless you are standing round a charity donations bucket - hadn't thought of that one!)
They should offer tea and cake for sure!

Feeling a bit bolshie as I was today dis-invited from giving a free background music recital at a charity do (no fee, and bring my own keyboard!) because they've had another offer.

#20207 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 20 November 2019 - 13:40

It almost looks as if the organisation is being deliberately discouraging. Did they invite the choir, or did the director offer your services?
I know amateur pianists sometimes play an instrument in these properties but volunteers' standards must vary.
I wonder if the Head of Corporate Whatever has advised them to issue fewer 'giveaways'?
Withdrawing the free guest tickets is understandable but it's unacceptable to make you sing outside (unless you are standing round a charity donations bucket - hadn't thought of that one!)
They should offer tea and cake for sure!

Feeling a bit bolshie as I was today dis-invited from giving a free background music recital at a charity do (no fee, and bring my own keyboard!) because they've had another offer.

That's very rude of them!

I think that was has happened is that our chair agreed, assuming it would be the same deal as last year, and when she found that it wasn't, was too 'polite' to say 'sorry, no'.

They asked us back, after we sang twice for them last year, with the free entry. Maybe they think they're doing us some kind of favour, letting us sing at their event!

#20208 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4915 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 November 2019 - 14:02

They asked us back, after we sang twice for them last year, with the free entry. Maybe they think they're doing us some kind of favour, letting us sing at their event!

I can well imagine this is the case.  Some think that 'exposure' is adequate reward for people giving of their services.

My new way to waste time is reading a site called 'Choosing Beggars' which shows extracts from instagrams (?) and chatrooms.

You wouldn't believe how many people think they shouldn't have to pay artists and designers because having their worked 'showcased' (by complete nonentities) is sufficient recompense. 

Don't be bamboozled!

#20209 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 20 November 2019 - 15:09

What about local halls? You are not being insane, I'd be uneasy as well. Talk to her and see if she can suggest alternative options? 

#20210 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 17:08

We were already booked to busk on that day, which would have made us a bit of cash and given us exposure in the right place rather than halfway across the county (I hadn't said I'd go because I hate singing outside in the winter...!). I will have to carefully craft an email. I'm sure it won't be the only one! But if I don't, it'll turn out that no one had the guts to object.

#20211 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4615 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted Yesterday, 09:22

I know the feeling Banjogirl. I remember pointing out to my band conductor that the busking gig we had just done involved us all having to park in an expensive town centre car park because there was nowhere else close enough for carrying all our heavy equipment, and that if we had all just donated our parking fees to the band then that would have come to more than we earned by busking. I felt like the socially awkward odd one out/ bean counter! However, he did agree and took the comment on board.

#20212 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:32

I know the feeling Banjogirl. I remember pointing out to my band conductor that the busking gig we had just done involved us all having to park in an expensive town centre car park because there was nowhere else close enough for carrying all our heavy equipment, and that if we had all just donated our parking fees to the band then that would have come to more than we earned by busking. I felt like the socially awkward odd one out/ bean counter! However, he did agree and took the comment on board.

I've made this point more thqan once to the chorus. It always falls on deaf ears!

#20213 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted Yesterday, 14:14

Join the club! ...and in my (semi-bitter) experience, if your advice for changes is ever taken, in a week everyone has forgotten how much effort you put in to getting the improvement accepted, or even remembers that it was your idea, but, believe me,  you retain your reputation in perpetuity  as 'the one who is always complaining'.

#20214 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:49

Join the club! ...and in my (semi-bitter) experience, if your advice for changes is ever taken, in a week everyone has forgotten how much effort you put in to getting the improvement accepted, or even remembers that it was your idea, but, believe me, you retain your reputation in perpetuity as 'the one who is always complaining'.

Spot on!

#20215 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:53

We made a lot of bad decisions regarding stage clothes and wasted a lot of money. I took on the job of wardrobe, not because it's really my forte, but because I didn't want any more similar mistakes being made. It actually worked quite well because I have two minions (their choice of name!) who do all the real work, but they let me take the rap for any complaints, which I'm happy to do. And meanwhile, no more wardrobe disasters. I also have complete control over the chorus website because so few people seem to be able to spell or punctuate, and some people have no filter! Doing it yourself seems to be the only way to ensure things are done right.