mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4871 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 October 2019 - 18:56

I'd say listen to your bod and if you can only do 10 mins comfortably, then so be it.
I'm sure you can utilise those 10 mins effectively so don't try to do too much or you may suffer a setback.
Add a minute or 2 per week, not per session; plenty of time to build up your stamina.

#20177 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 21 October 2019 - 21:22

feeling for you, f#minor - I hope your strength builds up soon (I'm sure it will).

#20178 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted Yesterday, 06:39

I didn't even have open-heart surgery - just a minor heart-attack and 6 stents, yet it took a while to regain fitness. Even walking at a snail's pace was painful to begin with. Worry more about rehab than piano playing, F#. The treadmill at the gym is the best thing (you'll get cheap gym membership on the NHS)

#20179 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted Yesterday, 07:34

Looking at songbooks for a new student. Found the perfect book, but it is out of print. Two different versions; one comes with CD accompaniment. Looking at second-hand sites, songbook is available for around £16 and songbook with CDs is available for around £20.

But looking closer, every single songbook with CD blurb says "CDs may not be available". That means it is "songbook" and not "songbook with CD". Why are you advertising it as songbook with CD, and selling it at a higher price?

#20180 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted Yesterday, 07:40

This was a fairly prestigious competition with largish cash prizes so for that reason alone it matters that they play fair! But in any competition there is no point in having rules if they're going to be ignored, and it's especially unfair when people could have increased their score by ignoring the rules, add appears to have happened on this occasion. The judging criteria were very clear.

I once took part in a festival and two choirs were eliminated for going over time. We received third place.  When discussion took place of whether or not we deserved it, someone pointed out that we did deserve it because we sang well and obeyed the rules. True. What we never knew was whether we would have still come third if the other two choirs had not been eliminated.

I stopped taking my primary school choir to festivals because they always got upset when we didn't win. I only took my adult choirs on the condition that they treated it as a day out, and didn't expect to win. There will always be unfairness in the system, but I agree with you that rules are rules.