#20161 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 15 October 2019 - 17:24

I have ANOTHER cold - this time its gone to my chest.

And now I have pneumonia. Very fed up!

#20162 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 15 October 2019 - 18:00

Oh dear. Miserable. You have my sympathy. I hope things improve soon.

#20163 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4867 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 15 October 2019 - 20:39

My op was cancelled. Have had 3 assessment appts, 4 lots of blood taken, starved 18hrs and sat in a waiting room 8 hrs before a nurse came and said no can do.
Somewhat hacked-off, having cancelled all lessons for this week so losing a week's pay, and will do again when they get round to summoning me back.

Oh Mel - that’s awful. I’m so sorry.

Thank you Maggie may

Nothing life changing but SUCH an expensive waste of a week. And I daren't make plans.

#20164 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:10

Aw bad luck Mel !  I was able to see Heart Consultant in a Tuesday and be operated on Thursday

#20165 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:16

I'm really fed up of going to music competitions and sticking to the rules and bring beaten by a group that has ignored the rules on, say, choice of music, or the requirement for a contrasting programme or whatever. Why don't the organisers either enforce their rules or scrap them? Any choir could turn up and sing four practically identical songs, as a winning choir did, that play to their strengths. But most followed the rule requiring contrasting pieces, which makes life a lot harder. No one wants to be a sore loser but I've seen this happen so many times now.

And what is wrong with people these days? One lady brought a tiny baby and a tiny toddler into the competition, who both made quite a lot of noise, at one point while a choir was singing really quietly. Aside from the fact that the organisers should never have let them into the auditorium, what insane person thinks that that is an acceptable or appropriate thing to do? Are people completely mad, or just horribly selfish, self-absorbed and rude? And the supporters of the winning choir only cheered their own choir. How horrible is that? And they were from a church! I sometimes wonder about people, I really do!

#20166 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3651 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted Today, 05:50

I have had many negative experiences with music festivals or competitions over the years. OH's male voice choir once sang a piece at the correct metronome mark to be beaten by another choir who sang it at double the speed. On another occasion, the winning violinist broke down part way through her piece and restarted, and the same thing happened with a piano pupil of mine who took part in one.
I don't encourage my students to enter these events as they do seem unsatisfactory.

#20167 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted Today, 10:14

Are people completely mad, or just horribly selfish, self-absorbed and rude?

"The fish stinks from the head down."
Just look at the current "leadership" of the country.

#20168 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17608 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted Today, 13:43

I'm really fed up of going to music competitions and sticking to the rules and bring beaten by a group that has ignored the rules on, say, choice of music, or the requirement for a contrasting programme or whatever. Why don't the organisers either enforce their rules or scrap them? Any choir could turn up and sing four practically identical songs, as a winning choir did, that play to their strengths. But most followed the rule requiring contrasting pieces, which makes life a lot harder. No one wants to be a sore loser but I've seen this happen so many times now.

And what is wrong with people these days? One lady brought a tiny baby and a tiny toddler into the competition, who both made quite a lot of noise, at one point while a choir was singing really quietly. Aside from the fact that the organisers should never have let them into the auditorium, what insane person thinks that that is an acceptable or appropriate thing to do? Are people completely mad, or just horribly selfish, self-absorbed and rude? And the supporters of the winning choir only cheered their own choir. How horrible is that? And they were from a church! I sometimes wonder about people, I really do!

The main benefit of local music competitions is not the winning or losing,  its having the opportunity to take part and perform in public.  It matters not whether you win or lose. Many Festivals now include non competitive classes for that purpose. I served for a few years on committee of Wirral Festival mainly organisiing the piano classes. 

#20169 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts

Posted Today, 17:56

This was a fairly prestigious competition with largish cash prizes so for that reason alone it matters that they play fair! But in any competition there is no point in having rules if they're going to be ignored, and it's especially unfair when people could have increased their score by ignoring the rules, add appears to have happened on this occasion. The judging criteria were very clear.

#20170 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts

Posted Today, 17:59

And what is it with people who start applauding before the end of a performance? Are they so thick that they think the adjudicator can judge what he can't hear? Rude again, and part of the stupid modern culture of neediness, in this case needing to show how much more enthusiastic (and therefore better?) you are than the silly person next to you who has waited for the end to clap. I suppose lots of people take their cue from the awful 'talent' shows on the telly, in which hearing the performance doesn't seem to matter very much, what matters is how loud the audience can be and therefore how self important they can feel.