arthur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Member: 14954

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:56

[/quote]

Hi Arthur, I played in last year's Leeds concert and to be honest beforehand I felt as if I was anticipating the dentist, but during and after I realised that really, it doesn't matter at all!
It was a very liberating experience on the whole (even though my playing sounded pretty awful) and it was definitely something to get over.
The thing is, the worst that can happen is messing up your piece in public, and if that is actually survivable, you're ok. And you might not mess it up of course...and whatever happens you will have learned something valuable about being a musician. Hope that helps!
N
[/quote]

It does help Nova - thank you.
One thing about getting older is that you stop worrying about what other people think of you (and that's a good place to get to!), but I suppose I tend to be my own worst critic. I know that I can perform music up to a standard to pass exams, so selecting some of my favourite pieces, easier ones too, to play to a small group should be a doddle.

Positive thinking!

See you all there (maybe)

A

#32 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:08

QUOTE(nova @ Nov 14 2007, 08:56 PM)  

The thing is, the worst that can happen is messing up your piece in public, and if that is actually survivable, you're ok. And you might not mess it up of course...and whatever happens you will have learned something valuable about being a musician. Hope that helps!

I played in a concert on Saturday. From my point of view, it was a disaster - I'd left my music at my accompanist's a few days before, I was too late to a rehearsal on the morning to make it particularly worthwhile, I messed up one entry, I just managed to rescue another entry by realising in time I was playing some wrong notes, the large audience included at least one professional soloist whom I've paid to hear sing in the past* - yet still I survived! I noticed these things, and if the audience did too, they were too polite to mention. We really are our own worst critics.

skylark, thanks for the date. I'm not sure whether I'll be coming (Leeds and back in a day makes for a very long day!), but I've pencilled it into my diary.

*professional soloist's daughter was playing in the first half, so professional soloist helped out with interval refreshments. I couldn't help thinking that I should have been serving drinks at one of her concerts rather than the other way round laugh.gif

#33 Guest: nova_*

Guest: nova_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:14

QUOTE(arthur @ Nov 15 2007, 10:56 AM)  

One thing about getting older is that you stop worrying about what other people think of you (and that's a good place to get to!)

The main thing about getting older is the reduced number of years left to waste worrying about anything which gets in the way! People who start playing at 7 or 8 and stick at it might be pretty competant by the time they are adult; put that in the perspective of someone starting in their forties and the pressure of time seems like the biggest worry.

I think playing in public, especially to a supportive audience who are experiencing similar feelings, is a good way to push one's playing on a bit, and it is a way of validating the efforts you are making as well. Opportunities like this are for us to use for our benefit, not as a kind of scary trial by audience!
N

#34 OrrellPostman

OrrellPostman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 5426
  • NW England

Posted 18 November 2007 - 22:25

I would love to have a go myself and my teacher (sbpiano) has said on several occasions to try one
of the forum concerts.
Are there any constraints on what type of music to play or is there any preference?

#35 Guest: The Old Lady_*

Guest: The Old Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 22:44

You can play anything you like.
Something that threw me on the day of the Leeds concert, was that you have to introduce your piece. I thought the compere would do that. I am not good at talking in front of a crowd unless I am reading from the Bible laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Make sure you know what you want to say before the concert. YOu only have to introduce it though, but it threw me. Then I played it OK ish. So it wasn't too bad really. tongue.gif
Bev.

#36 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 23:34

QUOTE(OrrellPostman @ Nov 18 2007, 10:25 PM)  

I would love to have a go myself and my teacher (sbpiano) has said on several occasions to try one
of the forum concerts.
Are there any constraints on what type of music to play or is there any preference?

If you have a look at the bottom section of my first post - "2007 concert" - there's a link to the programme and you'll see that there's a wide variety of music. Play whatever you'd like to play, and hope you'll be able to come smile.gif

QUOTE(The Old Lady @ Nov 18 2007, 10:44 PM)  

Something that threw me on the day of the Leeds concert, was that you have to introduce your piece. I thought the compere would do that. I am not good at talking in front of a crowd unless I am reading from the Bible laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Make sure you know what you want to say before the concert. YOu only have to introduce it though, but it threw me. Then I played it OK ish. So it wasn't too bad really. tongue.gif
Bev.

What??!! blink.gif I thought I'd asked everybody if they wanted to introduce their own piece or not! Some people like to introduce their own pieces because it gives them a chance to settle down before launching into playing, and some people want to say something special about their piece. I definitely introduced everybody to the audience, and then those who wanted to, announced their own pieces separately. Are you sure you're not having a Great Aunt May moment?? tongue.gif Or am I having a Lavvy moment unsure.gif wacko.gif

But for the record, nobody has to announce their piece if they don't want to - I'll be introducing the performer so I'm quite happy to announce the piece as well!

#37 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 November 2007 - 17:22

Right... I am going to ask my Dad if I'm allowed to come over dinner tonight.... Wish me luck!

#38 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 19 November 2007 - 18:14

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Nov 19 2007, 05:22 PM)  

Right... I am going to ask my Dad if I'm allowed to come over dinner tonight.... Wish me luck!

Good luck. fingersCrossed.gif

#39 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 November 2007 - 18:16

He didn't like the idea... But he hasn't ruled it out completely! He'd rather I went to one that was a bit closer though.

#40 Guest: Miss Ross_*

Guest: Miss Ross_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 18:18

At least it's not an outright 'no'...you've still got time to persuade him! biggrin.gif

#41 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 19 November 2007 - 18:20

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Nov 19 2007, 06:16 PM)  

He didn't like the idea... But he hasn't ruled it out completely! He'd rather I went to one that was a bit closer though.

Which is the nearest forum event to you?

#42 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 November 2007 - 18:31

Probably Woodford... I'm near Oxford. I don't think they like the fact that it is almost right in the middle of my exams, even though its tagged onto my Easter Holiday, and I'd have plenty of time to study (If I was so inclined!)

#43 Oddball

Oddball

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11091 posts
  • Member: 2310
  • Market Harborough

Posted 19 November 2007 - 19:25

1 day won't upset the balance - in fact, it'll probably do you good.

#44 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 November 2007 - 19:29

My Parents are of the opinion that I should study almost constantly.... If they knew how much time I spent on here I suspect I'd be hanged, drawn, quarted and denied internet access! We'd have to stay overnight though...

#45 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 19 November 2007 - 21:54

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Nov 19 2007, 06:31 PM)  

Probably Woodford... I'm near Oxford. I don't think they like the fact that it is almost right in the middle of my exams, even though its tagged onto my Easter Holiday, and I'd have plenty of time to study (If I was so inclined!)

The clarinet/sax day will be in the London area Rosemary. smile.gif