#361 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:49

Hope it went well for you on Saturday, F#m. Will have to find some suitable Beethoven to have a go at next year then! Any suggestions around the Grade 7 ish level? I've previously learned the first two movts of Moonlight, but the third would be pushing my luck!! 

#362 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:25

Hope it went well for you on Saturday, F#m. Will have to find some suitable Beethoven to have a go at next year then! Any suggestions around the Grade 7 ish level? I've previously learned the first two movts of Moonlight, but the third would be pushing my luck!! 

I find the second movement delightful, one of my favourite pieces of piano music. (First movement being piano therapy.) 

It was just about three years ago that I felt ready to start the third movement. My problem was that I couldn't read the arpeggios quickly enough so had to use a different strategy to help me learn, which to my surprise I did, but I still need to practice them if I wish to play it without stumbling. I also decided to learn the third movement in sections and I haven't yet completed all the sections.

#363 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18295 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:22

Ellie D.    Beethoven Sonata movements no harder than Grade 7 include the second movement of Op10 No2 (I played the first yesterday-went well thanks)  Also the third movement of Op10 No 3 (Minuet and Trio), Second movement of Op22  in D .  First movement of 'Moonlight' Op27 No 2 . Minuet and Trio movement (3rd) Op2 No 1 .  Last movement of Op79. A few ideas there- you might try the frist movement of Op79 if you are comfortable with some crosshands work !

#364 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:04

Thank you F#m! I've noted those down and will see if I have any of them already and if not, will probably invest in Op79 - I'm intrigued! :)

I'm glad it went well for you on Saturday!

#365 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1859 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:14

Ellie D.    Beethoven Sonata movements no harder than Grade 7 include the second movement of Op10 No2 (I played the first yesterday-went well thanks)  Also the third movement of Op10 No 3 (Minuet and Trio), Second movement of Op22  in D .  First movement of 'Moonlight' Op27 No 2 . Minuet and Trio movement (3rd) Op2 No 1 .  Last movement of Op79. A few ideas there- you might try the frist movement of Op79 if you are comfortable with some crosshands work !

Glad to hear the performance went well F#m.  From experience I would say that serious amounts of anaesthetic can have unexpected effects on the brain which can be quite persistent; but they do wear off eventually.

#366 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18295 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 19:40

Thank you F#m! I've noted those down and will see if I have any of them already and if not, will probably invest in Op79 - I'm intrigued! :)

Actually the second movement of Op79 is easier than you want.   Overall it probably the easiest one to learn in entirety, leaving out the two Op49 ones which are really Sonatinas composed earlier than the opus number suggests.

#367 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:56

Actually the second movement of Op79 is easier than you want.   Overall it probably the easiest one to learn in entirety, leaving out the two Op49 ones which are really Sonatinas composed earlier than the opus number suggests.

Perfect then! Not the time of year to exert too many brain cells, and I am very happy learning easier pieces but then putting all the emphasis on playing them well! Op 79 it is for me, in celebration of Beethoven!

#368 sam93

sam93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Member: 892964

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:39

As work is so busy at the moment, I simply haven't got the time to practice longer works like sonatas, so I've been seeking shorter works which I can easily dip in and out of. Spontaneously brought the ABRSM edition of Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words the other day so I've been playing though these quite a lot which I'm really enjoying. The first one in E major (Op.19 No.1) is really one of the most beautiful and simple melodies ever written. 

#369 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:45

Recently started Chopin C#m Waltz (op 64 no 2). Lovely! My first foray into Chopin for a good few years. Also Backer Grondahl's Sommervise which I picked up over Christmas. I spent the festive break on Grieg's Notturno (Lyric Pieces) and picked up the Grondahl as a companion piece but it's harder than I first thought. My piano teacher said it reminded him of Grieg's Piano Sonata, 2nd movement. I found the music for the sonata and am thinking about learning the 2nd movement. 

#370 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18295 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 14:10

Recently started Chopin C#m Waltz (op 64 no 2). Lovely! My first foray into Chopin for a good few years. Also Backer Grondahl's Sommervise which I picked up over Christmas. I spent the festive break on Grieg's Notturno (Lyric Pieces) and picked up the Grondahl as a companion piece but it's harder than I first thought. My piano teacher said it reminded him of Grieg's Piano Sonata, 2nd movement. I found the music for the sonata and am thinking about learning the 2nd movement. 

The Grieg Sonata Op7 is sadly neglected. Third movement is the easiest, then the second, which I played at a Lets Play Piano event a couple of years ago. It begins like a tranquil summers day, turns into a storm and reverts again.

#371 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 14 January 2020 - 16:03

Backer Grondahl's Sommervise is a beautiful piece( though finger limitations make it overly challenging for me).

#372 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1506 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2020 - 20:07

Struggling with my Bb scale, and chromatic scales.

#373 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:16

The Grieg Sonata Op7 is sadly neglected. Third movement is the easiest, then the second, which I played at a Lets Play Piano event a couple of years ago. It begins like a tranquil summers day, turns into a storm and reverts again.

Thanks fsharpminor - I haven't really started looking at the second or third movements yet but this is v helpful.

#374 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:44

Ellie D.    Beethoven Sonata movements no harder than Grade 7 include ...  Last movement of Op79. A few ideas there- you might try the frist movement of Op79 if you are comfortable with some crosshands work !

Turns out the first movement is on the current Grade 8 syllabus! So I'm having a go. Got as far as having a look at the first cross hands passage - heaps of fun, I'm going to enjoy this!! I went to the library to get the other two movements and the book I borrowed has some helpful performance notes as well.

#375 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18295 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:15

Ellie D.    Beethoven Sonata movements no harder than Grade 7 include ...  Last movement of Op79. A few ideas there- you might try the frist movement of Op79 if you are comfortable with some crosshands work !

Turns out the first movement is on the current Grade 8 syllabus! So I'm having a go. Got as far as having a look at the first cross hands passage - heaps of fun, I'm going to enjoy this!! I went to the library to get the other two movements and the book I borrowed has some helpful performance notes as well.

Ah good.  I think as a whole 3 movement Sonata, this is the most approachable (after the two easier Op49 ones), so  if you can get the cross hands mastered you should be able to play the whole sonata. The third movement is fun too.  Then try Op14 No2, Op10 No1, Op10 No2 and Op14 No1

in that order.