Photo

Useful video resources for DipABRSM

JIFFAP DipABRSM Brahms Rhapsody in G Min Op 7 masterclass Cortot Normandy Piano Courses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 emilycrewsmontes

emilycrewsmontes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 888083

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:32

Dear all in isolated-pianist-land...

I'm collecting useful videos to help me prepare my DipABRSM (I haven't passed my Grade 8 yet, but preparation is everything!)

I've got one of Idil Biret giving a masterclass on Jersey on Brahms' Rhapsody in G Min Op 79 no 2.  Other than that I have found performances by Alfred Cortot and of course the wonderfully generous Valentina Lisitsa, which I've added to a playlist (if you want this I'll find a way to send it).  I find masterclass videos particularly helpful though, so if anyone else has found any, please let us all know.

Regards

Emily

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:48

That's great - where do you find them? Youtube? It never occurred to me to try to find masterclasses this way.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

#3 emilycrewsmontes

emilycrewsmontes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 888083

Posted 14 May 2014 - 13:41

Thanks!

Yes, that one's on YouTube.  I've also found masterclasses by Cortot himself (only one or two) and by Jean Micault, the pupil of Cortot who took over from him.  I've started a list of tracks for the DipABRSM, I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here - you could try searching for me, Emily Montes, or my playlist ABRSM Diploma.  There aren't many actual masterclasses on it, though - hence my post ;)

Are you preparing for the diploma, or perhaps higher things?

#4 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 14 May 2014 - 13:59

I suppose masterclasses are a bit much to hope for, but I always copy any instructional notes I find from any source, usually just a paper copy, and insert it into the score of the piece concerned; to date, it's often been organ music. If I come across a magazine article on a piece I'm interested in I will squirrel it away for future reference.

The op 79 Brahms by Idil Biret sounds interesting; I think she must have a 'thing' for Brahms because she recorded his 51 finger exercises. That must have been dry listening! Now if she gave suggestions for fingering that would be another matter....

Not doing dip AB -tending towards Trinity for piano but am toying with the idea of AB dip for organ - not quite decided which board yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: JIFFAP, DipABRSM, Brahms Rhapsody in G Min Op 7, masterclass, Cortot, Normandy Piano Courses