Photo

How long do diploma results really take to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 TomGPiano

TomGPiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899917

Posted 21 October 2019 - 20:28

Congratulations on the FRSM!

Thanks so much! I'm absolutely made up with it. Played Prokofiev Sonata 7. Messiaen Ile de Feu 1 and 2, Gaspard de la Nuit and Grainger's In Dahomey all from memory. More hours of hard work than I'd dare count and so delighted to come away with a good result!

#32 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4913 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 October 2019 - 20:49

Not sure if there are any other holders of FRSM piano on here. (I'm sure they'd have mentioned it!)
Hope you celebrated your achievements. :)

#33 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:32

Congratulations on your FRSM distinction! Bravo!

#34 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Member: 95535

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:36

Brilliant result - well done!

#35 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:15

Can I say congratulations and ask for your advice on what to wear at L and F level? I felt fairly confident advising my daughter for associate level but I’m really not sure how to advise her for her Licentiates. Any advice gratefully received!

#36 TomGPiano

TomGPiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:40

Can I say congratulations and ask for your advice on what to wear at L and F level? I felt fairly confident advising my daughter for associate level but I’m really not sure how to advise her for her Licentiates. Any advice gratefully received!

Yes of course. I think the general rule is something that looks smart but doesn't get in the way of playing with good technique? I think I wore black dress shoes, grey suit trousers and a navy shirt (I hate playing in a jacket + tie). For women I'd think something similar, or a nice evening dress? You don't have to go overboard for opulence but I think being as impeccably smart and tidy as possible goes a long way. You are judged on your "presentation" after all!

#37 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:28

Thanks! I was always told Associate - lunchtime concert, L evening concert, F big posh evening concert.
I think it might actually be easier for the men with dress!

#38 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:36

Thanks! I was always told Associate - lunchtime concert, L evening concert, F big posh evening concert.

Your daughter plays the sax I think? Take a look at what Jess Gillam wears for her concerts - nothing conventional but all her own unique style. Can't really imagine her in a frilly evening dress!
In this day and age no one can dictate what you wear, so I think the ABRSM can only judge on whether you are too scruffy etc. rather than your choice of garments (I would hope...!)

#39 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 23 October 2019 - 16:10

Definitely!
I think I had the same attire for my L and F diplomas. I once wore the same attire for a funeral and a wedding on the same day ...

#40 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 23 October 2019 - 16:44

I wore the same for dip and LRSM – smart black trousers, red jumper. No evening dress. The exams take place during the day, so it feels a bit weird to turn up at 9am in a sparkly ballgown, especially with two examiners stationed behind a desk and never once applauding. Also, I wanted to keep warm. The centre I played at was freezing cold and had fan heaters going in the exam room.

Dress is the least of your problems. It doesn't matter that much (though I'd avoid ripped jeans). Stick with the lunchtime concert look.

Jess Gillam wore a frilly mauve evening dress for her early attempt at Young Musician. She'd completely changed style by 2016 and it suited her much better.

#41 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 16:45

Thanks so much! I'm absolutely made up with it. Played Prokofiev Sonata 7. Messiaen Ile de Feu 1 and 2, Gaspard de la Nuit and Grainger's In Dahomey all from memory. More hours of hard work than I'd dare count and so delighted to come away with a good result!

Well done indeed! What are you going to do next?

Can I ask what subject you wrote your submission on?

#42 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:31

Jess Gillam wore a frilly mauve evening dress for her early attempt at Young Musician. She'd completely changed style by 2016 and it suited her much better.

Didn't know that! Will have to Google some pics!

#43 TomGPiano

TomGPiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:12

I've got a concert planned next year of some works by Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Balakirev, Cui and Borodin so that's keeping my busy practice-wise at the moment. I'll have to have a think as to something to follow my FRSM though...

My written submission was on 20thc aesthetic trends and commonalities between Grainger's In Dahomey and Messiaen's Ile de Feu. It initially seemed a little tenuous but was easy to write about as the two chosen composers/works spanned a large enough stylistic field to comprehensively overview the era; but genuinely had enough ideological overlap to achieve some coherence. There were also two very useful texts: "Graginer on Grainger" and "Technique de Mon Langage Musical" that allowed a pretty fruitful insight into the thought processes of the two composers and meant that I didn't have to write anything too speculative. It also opened the door to a bit of detailed analysis. I ultimately didn't chose to write about the Prokoviev and Ravel as the works seemed too large to share the 5000ish word count, and I preferred a project that took in as many works from the programme as possible. Seemed to work as my submission/viva scored 23/25 I think.

#44 TomGPiano

TomGPiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:14

Your daughter plays the sax I think? Take a look at what Jess Gillam wears for her concerts - nothing conventional but all her own unique style. Can't really imagine her in a frilly evening dress!
In this day and age no one can dictate what you wear, so I think the ABRSM can only judge on whether you are too scruffy etc. rather than your choice of garments (I would hope...!)

This is much better advice than mine. I think there is no specific outfit and you should wear what best expresses your own style as an individual, but you will be marked down for presentation if you're scruffy.

#45 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:25

I've got a concert planned next year of some works by Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Balakirev, Cui and Borodin so that's keeping my busy practice-wise at the moment. I'll have to have a think as to something to follow my FRSM though...

My written submission was on 20thc aesthetic trends and commonalities between Grainger's In Dahomey and Messiaen's Ile de Feu. It initially seemed a little tenuous but was easy to write about as the two chosen composers/works spanned a large enough stylistic field to comprehensively overview the era; but genuinely had enough ideological overlap to achieve some coherence. There were also two very useful texts: "Graginer on Grainger" and "Technique de Mon Langage Musical" that allowed a pretty fruitful insight into the thought processes of the two composers and meant that I didn't have to write anything too speculative. It also opened the door to a bit of detailed analysis. I ultimately didn't chose to write about the Prokoviev and Ravel as the works seemed too large to share the 5000ish word count, and I preferred a project that took in as many works from the programme as possible. Seemed to work as my submission/viva scored 23/25 I think.

Thank you! Very interesting. I'm debating whether to go for an FRSM, but have very little idea yet about what makes good subject matter for the written submission. I have the scores for Ile de Feu, but haven't dared try it on the piano.