#16 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 21 November 2019 - 16:07

What else should I call it? It's a purpose built room, separate from my home for teaching. If it offends your sensibilities I will call it a music room, or a teaching room. What difference does it make!?

#17 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 21 November 2019 - 16:10

I thought it wouldn't be long before the pretentious word 'studio' appeared in this thread.

So were you just awaiting someone to use the word 'studio'? It's weird that you've offered no advice on the OP's question. Personally I think that there's an awful lot of good suggestions and what does it matter what someone calls their work-space? It's frankly no-one else's business.

#18 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 16:11

What else should I call it? It's a purpose built room, separate from my home for teaching. If it offends your sensibilities I will call it a music room, or a teaching room. What difference does it make!?

Couldn't agree more! We must have posted at the same time!

#19 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 21 November 2019 - 16:56

No one has mentioned a (large-ish) clock - but maybe that shows that I'm not a teacher. :lol:

#20 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 17:12

I also have my computer, a printer and a shredder. Computer for accounts and for finding music tracks, a printer for scanning and a shredder for the obvious but especially to do with any notes etc where I need to ensure personal details are properly disposed of. I would love to find a place to put a coffee/ drinks machine as I seem to be endlessly thirsty when talking for hours on end and my kitchen isn't next door to my teaching room. A few percussion instruments to make rhythm work more interesting. I also have a large sheet of cardboard with a treble staff on one side and a bass staff on the other (stored behind my upright) for when I need to do note learning games. And I always have my iPad available for games too.

Plus my A-leg-gro!

And place where I keep my receipts, accounting paperwork as my teaching room is where I do my accounts etc too.

Such a lot of things! It a good question - thank you!

#21 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:21

I call mine the kitchen.... 

#22 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2838 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 21 November 2019 - 21:00

No one has mentioned a (large-ish) clock - but maybe that shows that I'm not a teacher. :lol:

I have a small clock, positioned so that I can see it easily, but pupils can't. And, most importantly, it's silent.

#23 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3752 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:20

My clock has room temperature recorded on it which I find useful when deciding whether to have heating on. I've also got a plug in radiator so I can heat the room without heating the rest of the house.

#24 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:44

I thought it wouldn't be long before the pretentious word 'studio' appeared in this thread.

This may be a difference in usage between American and British English. Here in the States, "studio" is just the term we use for a space set aside for musical or artistic purposes. No pretension intended.
That’s also the word we use for a space set aside for musical or artistic purposes over here in the UK too. It is the very definition of the word. Nothing pretentious about it. Not sure where that idea came from. What exactly does the commenter think someone is pretending to be when using the word studio?? A music teacher? Oh hang on ....

#25 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4943 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:47

My music room is only about 10'x9' and contains a baby grand so there is little room left for all this desirable stuff.

Envious of those with space; actually, I think a bit of clear floor area would be a useful addition.

#26 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:49

A largish clock is one of my teaching room essentials. One positioned where I can easily see it so that I can easily keep track of lesson times. I actually like my pupils to be able to see it too, so they have some sense of when time is running out, and they can make sure they allow plenty of time if they have any complex questions which need answering.

#27 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:59

Another one of my teaching room essentials - a table for doing music theory and music games.

#28 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 22 November 2019 - 00:52

I guess the reaction to the word studio.is something to do with the divide between those who have the luxury of kitting out a bespoke teaching space to perfectly suit their needs, and those who simply have to teach in whatever space they can get their hands on. After many years in this game, due to the crazy property prices in the south east, I am still definitely in the second group there, beautifully illustrated by 'step 3' in this classic video: https://www.youtube....h?v=qi4V6gY8Wf8

Although fortunately for me I don't teach the trombone, and don't have to teach anywhere that looks quite like this! 

#29 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2838 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:29

Although fortunately for me I don't teach the trombone, and don't have to teach anywhere that looks quite like this! 

I have friends in Norway who are both professional trombone players and they live on a boat. Before they bought their boat, they had to measure the length of their practising space to allow for their trombone slides to be full extended!  A bit off topic, sorry!

#30 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:39

I guess the reaction to the word studio.is something to do with the divide between those who have the luxury of kitting out a bespoke teaching space to perfectly suit their needs, and those who simply have to teach in whatever space they can get their hands on. After many years in this game, due to the crazy property prices in the south east, I am still definitely in the second group there, beautifully illustrated by 'step 3' in this classic video: https://www.youtube....h?v=qi4V6gY8Wf8

I do! In school! A mini-room - shared with a cupboard that the office staff need to access and which contains the school safe!!  :lol: