#1 Ailsa

Ailsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 6064
  • La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Posted 16 June 2021 - 13:01

My daughter is taking grade 7 clarinet performance next month and we've just realised that her choice of fourth piece may not be of grade 7 level.  It looks a little bit under that level to me, but I'm not a teacher, only a mum.  The problem is we didn't realise the Chester Anthology covers grades 5-8+ (our fault as it does say this on the cover).   Her teacher is not sure either (we live in Spain and it's the first time she has a pupil entering for an ABRSM exam and is very ).  Between myself, my daughter and her teacher we have not realised this until now. 

I would very much appreciate people's advice on what  level they think the piece is, as I read ABRSM can't help with assessing the level of pieces for the fourth piece choice.  The one she's prepared is Geoffrey Bush, Tributes II to Mr Harold Arlen. 

We're in a bit of a panic now as the exam is only three weeks away.  

#2 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:40

The Edexcel lists (invaluable: check them out!) list that movement of the Tributes as grade 8. I would say it’s on the easy side of grade 8, but even so, it’s a more than appropriate piece for a grade 7 exam.
Good luck to your daughter! :)

#3 Ailsa

Ailsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 6064
  • La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Posted 23 June 2021 - 19:35

Thank you so, so much barri-clari that's fantastic!  Your response is very much appreciated, as well as being good news:)

#4 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 07 July 2021 - 13:33

Thank you so, so much barri-clari that's fantastic! Your response is very much appreciated, as well as being good news:)

No problem. How did the exam go?