tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:12

I've just found out my dad and stepmother have been hacked.  My stepmother said she'd had a phone call and they sounded nice and professional - and they've now hacked the computer.  She told me they've both spoken to their banks to stop money being taken out of their accounts.  As my stepmother is American she's going to contact the Consulate because she's worried the hackers might try to obtain false passports becuase of information left on the computer.  I was just wondering if there was anything else they needed to do to protect themselves or prevent any other damage being done.  Neither of them is particularly computer literate; I'm pretty sure something of this kind happened before to my dad.

#2 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:12

I've just found out my dad and stepmother have been hacked.  My stepmother said she'd had a phone call and they sounded nice and professional - and they've now hacked the computer.  She told me they've both spoken to their banks to stop money being taken out of their accounts.  As my stepmother is American she's going to contact the Consulate because she's worried the hackers might try to obtain false passports becuase of information left on the computer.  I was just wondering if there was anything else they needed to do to protect themselves or prevent any other damage being done.  Neither of them is particularly computer literate; I'm pretty sure something of this kind happened before to my dad.

I hope this is resolved swiftly in her favor! 

#3 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:29

A quick google  (you may already have done this) gives several links with advice what to do.  You may need to help them, or find someone nearby who can.

#4 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 November 2019 - 14:42

Sorry to hear this! If it's any use, Age Concern have some guidance at https://www.ageuk.or...ud/phone-scams/. Also the Money Advisory Service at https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-to-spot-and-avoid-bank-scams.