Photo

Books/Courses on performance anxiety, practising performing etc...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:39

That's such a great idea! How advanced was your playing back then? Not that I'd be able to do that now but I think I would at least entertain the idea later on. 

You could perhaps give it a go if you wanted! The more complex works of Liszt and Rachmaninov would hardly be the first choice in that setting anyway, and I have come across some beautiful Grade 1 or 2 music that would definitely work well. Even pre Grade 1!! There's some lovely pieces, it doesn't need to be hard.

I discovered last time I popped into my nearest hospital that they now have a really ancient looking piano in the foyer with a sign on it saying please have a go … no idea whether it's in tune or not but I will try and pluck up courage to have a go. But if I do, I will practice three or four really easy pieces for starters so there's less to go wrong. My Grade 7 efforts will have to wait until I am much, much braver!!!

As someone above mentioned quantity over quality in this case, I am yet to build a solid performance-ready repertoire (I think I'd be comfortable performing only a handful of pieces right now) but I do agree that sounding 'nice enough' doesn't have to equate to 'advanced' or 'complex'. 

You should definitely give it a go, EllieD! I think people would be amazed by your skills!

#17 R-W

R-W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 895673

Posted 31 May 2019 - 15:11

I just remembered, there's a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed that I found interesting with respect to performance anxiety. It's got nothing to do with music as he is a table tennis player

Oooohhh just looked and it's on offer in kindle format at the moment for £1.49! I'll definitely give this a read then, thank you!

#18 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 31 May 2019 - 17:30

I just remembered, there's a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed that I found interesting with respect to performance anxiety. It's got nothing to do with music as he is a table tennis player

Oooohhh just looked and it's on offer in kindle format at the moment for £1.49! I'll definitely give this a read then, thank you!

It's about more stuff than just performance anxiety, I should clarify. It's about high performance in general

#19 akc42

akc42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 898697
  • Just outside London

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:34

I found I got really nervous playing in front of my teacher.  But then I read "The Perfect Wrong Note" by William Westney.  After reading through that I no longer am.  Before that I also read "A Soprano On Her Head" by Eloise Ristad.  Useful, but not as influential on me as the first title.