Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 17 October 2019 - 00:55

I'm discovering some interesting things about editing Bach.
Maybe someone who knows more about musicology can point me in the right direction?
I'll probably plaster this across multiple forums, so, I apologise if you read it more than once.
I was listening to Rostropovitch and Tortelier playing the BWV 1007 prelude, and I preferred Tortelier. Rostropovitch seemed to go more for détaché with a scrapiness to it, and I felt that it should be more legato. So I found three editions online.

Baerenreiter according to amazon

Samwise (never heard of them). Here perhaps the prelude is poor evidence, as some of the rest is perhaps over-edited. (you'll need to look inside at the preview)  https://www.am*z*n.c...71223148&sr=8-7

And it all seems to be about interpreting her obviously abbreviated slurs - literal/slightly abbreviated (as in the Baerenreiter) or very abbreviated (as in the Samwise).
Baerenreiter have a huge reputation, but I'd go for Samwise initially, cross-referencing with IMSLP. And I'd be very interested to chase up all the other original MSS to see where other things may be more abbreviated than people realise (there's the famous bourée for example from Suzuki 3, which has some disputed bowings, if we can judge from the online pdf that's floating around)

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4058 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 17 October 2019 - 21:35

I'm not sure what you're asking. What direction do you want pointing towards?

#3 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:44

Anything on the subject of editing baroque music, I suppose, or their playing techniques, if these can be extrapolated.

For example, I've been told they really didn't like legato. How reliable my witness was, I don't know.

But the subject might be very technical and very boring, and I might lose interest very quickly.