Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:25

Hi Everyone, 

With all the extremely knowledgeable members here I wondered whether anyone could identify the background music in this video please? I initially thought it might be something by Scott Joplin or another of the early ragtime composers but now I'm not so sure. 

Thanks for any help. 

Gregory

#2 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Member: 7854

Posted 22 June 2021 - 17:38

Shazam is a really useful little app for this sort of thing - I pointed it at the screen and it correctly picked up Dixie Dimples by James Scott, played by Dave Majchrzak.

https://youtu.be/Mkb1DMvMtHo

#3 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • South West London

Posted 22 June 2021 - 18:34

Shazam is a really useful little app for this sort of thing - I pointed it at the screen and it correctly picked up Dixie Dimples by James Scott, played by Dave Majchrzak.

https://youtu.be/Mkb1DMvMtHo

Wow! Thanks so much!! You deserve a gold medal and also thank you for introducing me to Shazam. I've never come across that app before. That's a wonderfully useful app. It's strange that I had several other composers in mind but James Scott wasn't one of them that I had thought of. It's a very "catchy" piece of music. I'm going to get a copy of it and add it to my "to learn" list.  :D  

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20469 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 22 June 2021 - 19:52

Oh yes - I’d forgotten about shazam - my OH uses it (sometimes annoyingly when I’m trying to guess the composer without being told!) 

I did have a listen, and I can why you thought of Scott J - although his ragtimes are generally played straight, I think, not swung. 

Catchy indeed, and a new one to me. 

#5 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 22 June 2021 - 22:09

Great fun - I've just downloaded it from IMSLP.  I'll have to wait till my OH is out of the house though before I can practise it, though!

#6 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • South West London

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:56

Yes, I really like it and downloaded it too but haven't started to practise it yet. I think it's great fun and at the moment I'm collecting some "fun" pieces to learn for light relief such as pieces by Zez Confrey. Also I'm revising Felix Arndt's "Nola". I used to play that quite well years ago but am out of practice. Another one I really like is "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" by Lewis Muir. 

#7 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • South West London

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:05

Perhaps a thread could be started where we could share our favourite "fun" pieces. That would be interesting ....... and fun !!!  :rofl:

#8 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 28 June 2021 - 09:02

Perhaps a thread could be started where we could share our favourite "fun" pieces. That would be interesting ....... and fun !!!  :rofl:

In the pipe organ world - fun pieces used in concerts are often referred to as 'lollipops' !

#9 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:00

Not just the organ world - Beecham was famous for his lollipops!