#1 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Member: 70814
  • Epsom

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:06

I'm back to learning clarinet after a long hiatus, using a Stagg ebonite Bb clarinet. I just want to play for my own amusement and to join in with my husband when he plays guitar and with friends who play ukulele and keyboard. We had a few friends round on Saturday to play various bits and pieces and it was a lot of fun.

The frustrating thing is that as a beginner I can only play in a limited number of keys, and I can't play by ear. I think it would help to have a non-transposing instrument, and I'm looking at cheap C clarinets. My clarinet teacher recommended the clarineo but I'm not convinced. 

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

#2 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6274 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 January 2020 - 21:21

I'm a sax player, not a clarinettist, but my understanding is that the C clarinet is not the easiest instrument to play.

#3 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1932 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:54

I don't know anything about clarineos but I have  C clarinet that I can use for just such eventualities. I love my C clarinet which has a gorgeous sweet tone, it is just as easy or difficult  to play as  a Bb clarinet but it sounds different. I know people who don't like the sound they get on their C clarinets so I consider myself lucky to have a good one  (it wasn't cheap though). My advice is to go to some woodwind shops and try out some C clarinets ....see if you like them.

If you can play with other people you will have more fun and play more so you will improve faster. Go fror it!

#4 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Epsom

Posted 08 January 2020 - 20:18

Thank you!

I think you're right and I need to find a music shop where I can try out some different instruments. I don't want to get something that I end up hating!

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41758 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 13 January 2020 - 13:28

Clarineos are a bit like marmite I find : you either love or hate.
I can’t say I’m a fan I’m afraid. The sound they make is actually half decent, but mechanical reliability is very suspect in my experience.

#6 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Epsom

Posted 18 January 2020 - 18:54

So, I tried a clarineo. Good sound, horrible to play, and didn't even have all the keys I needed for low F and E (or if they were there I coudn't find them.)

Tried a cheap C clarinet - it's perfect for what I need.

(I also accidentally bought a student Bb Buffet clarinet as well but that's another story.)

#7 TMHeimer

TMHeimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 898935
  • Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:48

I bought a Buffet C clarinet in 1976 and have had quite a bit of fun with it over the years. Different brighter sound for sure. Some intonation difficulties especially with throat tones (probably due to the very short barrel which is needed due to using a Bb mouthpiece).

#8 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22951 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 16 February 2020 - 19:28

I'd just write out the transpositions (or maybe get better at transposing at sight).

Some orchestral stuff uses C clarinet but I don't do enough to be worth buying one. 

I though that it did use the same mouthpiece as Bb and A?