Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 03 November 2020 - 13:25

Thank you Bagpuss.

Today there is a little less doubt about whether any sound will come out so I think I'm on the right track.  C B A and G are ok, F is doubtful and E is an occasional treat.  I am tonguing each note and trying to play longer tones. :)

#17 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41919 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • Live : SE London; Work : North Surrey

Posted 04 November 2020 - 22:33

Thank you Bagpuss.

Today there is a little less doubt about whether any sound will come out so I think I'm on the right track. C B A and G are ok, F is doubtful and E is an occasional treat. I am tonguing each note and trying to play longer tones. :)

If F is doubtful and E an occasional treat, it may be the flute playing up, not you. A badly playing or non existent F is very common.
It may be that someone else will get there first to explain the whys and wherefores, but I’m afraid I have a 5am start tomorrow!
I’ll get a personal message sent during the day tomorrow for you.

#18 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:38

I intend getting my flute overhauled when the world becomes a bit more normal. Until then I will just do the best I can.

I am finding it hard work sustaining the notes, I have to breathe at least once for every bar. But I do realise that it is still early days yet, so I try to practice a bit (about half an hour) every day.

#19 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:31

It feels wonderful, when you start to feel little tiny signs of improvement. Then you get kind of addicted to that feeling and try desperately hard to improve every day.

I can now play notes (just notes... not music) from the lowest C up to two ledger lines C sharp. I can't slur up to anything above top space E flat. I am playing Christmas carols but some are  rather "halting" and I have to breathe far more often than I consider ideal. But it is deffinitely progress. I feel I have something to show for my lockdown.

I know, I need a teacher to help me but it just isn't possible at the moment. So I continue to work away at my notes and my carols and see what happens. :)

#20 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:58

Next question.....

Well it must be progress because my problems with the low E and F have melted away.

I can slur up (some) octaves and I can play up to three-ledger lines E.

I can play Bb with thumb key or two first fingers.

My tone and consistency are improving and I can manage a couple of bars before running out of breath.

I no longer get days when I want to throw the flute out of the window.

I know I still have plenty of work to do but I am beginning to feel I might have made a start!

My next question is about C sharp. After playing a C sharp should I move my RH little finger back to the Eb key straight away for the rest of the notes or can I change back when it is more convenient?  If there are several C sharps can I keep my little finger on the Csharp key?

#21 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7199 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:33

You should have the Eb key down for C# except for the bottom C# and the very top one (the one on 5 ledger lines).  For the bottom C#, you need to move your finger on and off the C# key as required.  If you play the bottom C# with the Eb key you will be out of tune.  Similarly, if you leave your finger on the C# when moving to other notes, those notes will be out of tune.  Tone quality is also affected.

Doing lots of exercises involving moving between the lowest notes will help with building little finger strength and mobility.  I am wondering, though, whether you are trying to introduce the bottom C and C# before you are really ready to?  It's not like clarinet where students are often taught the whole of the chalumeau register before moving to notes above the break (it's best not to think of flute octaves as being the equivalent of clarinet registers because the flute is a much smoother transition across the instrument rather than a change from one register to another).  On flute, bottom C and C# are typically introduced after the lower end of the top octave because they are more difficult notes.  The bottom C comes in for scales at grade 4 and sight reading at grade 5.  It tends not to be used in pieces until grade 5.  The bottom C# is introduced at grade 5.  Passages which require a lot of movement between the C# and Eb keys tend not to come in until grade 6.

#22 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 13:13

Thank you Flossie, that is all very helpful to know.

You are probably right about me trying to do things I'm not really ready to. I'm just blundering along really. When I find out how to make a new note I try to use it and play more tunes. But now that I know I have to get my little finger moving I can at least avoid one bad habit and relax and concentrate on the bits I can do. And when I do meet a C sharp I will be vigilant!

Thank you.

#23 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 23:26

Thats it, thank you Flossie. I was trying to play my third space C sharp and my 2 ledger lines C sharp by using just the C sharp key.  Now that I am using the Eb key, playing in D major suddenly becomes so much easier!

Anyway I think I get it now. :woot:

It remains true that I am trying to go faster than I should and I have gone back a few steps to concentrate on my tone.

#24 fied

fied

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Member: 383974
  • Scotland

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:38

Well! Five years on and this thread's been revived! I have to say that things have vastly improved, thanks to a good teacher. Although playing's easier and I'm beyond beginners' pieces and exercises, I still have to work on fundamentals - breathing, intonation, flute position, embouchure, etc. - but it's all built into practice now. What helps is that I'm stubborn and I love my flute.

So, to all flute newbies, keep at it, no matter what beginner sounds you make, and don't beat yourself up because you can't play like Emmanuel Pahud. You'll improve and grow to love it.

#25 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 13:22

Hello fied,

Thank you for starting this thread, I have found it very useful.

It is lovely to hear how you are getting on with your flute, it gives us all hope!

It is still vey much an uphill struggle for me but sometimes things feel a little easier.

Best wishes from

Clarimoo.

#26 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:51

One thing I've done is to collect about six beginners' books. I've found that any one tutor doesn't really have enough consolidation material for each note learned without risking terminal boredom. So, while the Wye books are the main teaching material, I mine the others for exercises and tunes which fill out that material. My teacher finds that a bit strange, but likes the idea of consolidation.

Which books did you collect, and would you recommend any of them?  I'm a beginner on flute - I play recorder and have bought a baroque flute to try out.  There are virtually no teaching materials whatsoever actually aimed at baroque flute, so I have also bought (yet to arrive, so I haven't tried it) a Nuvo plastic flute.  This was a very cheap Amazon Warehouse deal, so I thought it might be helpful in getting started, and it doesn't matter if it isn't great and/or doesn't last all that long.  I have ordered a single flute book, How To Play The Flute by Howard Harrison, on the basis that a website recommended by a forum member recommended the book (also yet to arrive) and a few beginner lessons, similarly from a recommended website.  The lessons will hopefully be useful but there is quite a lot of basic stuff about notes and clefs and so on that I don't need, so I'm really looking for something that would suit an adult learner.  Harrison's book might turn out to be enough, but it's often useful to have a bit of variety.

#27 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:46

I have written about my books in your other thread but I'm just writing here to wish you well on your fluting journey, old-and-grumpy. :)

#28 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 10 June 2021 - 17:11

Thank you, that's very kind!  I also saw your answer on the other thread, thanks for the info.  So far the journey has been somewhat middling because my left shoulder hurts if I play for more than about 5 minutes.  I don't think that's anything to do with the flute, it has been a bit sore for a few weeks, I don't know why.  (I was thinking in the night that it's been sore since about the time I had the first dose of Covid vaccine, about 6 weeks ago, but that's probably just hypochondria.)  Hopefully it will clear up soon and my flute journey can begin in earnest.  I have at least managed to get some sounds out of it, which I have never achieved before.  The Nuvo flute is def easier than the baroque one.

#29 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 14 June 2021 - 00:25

The book I use is Abracadabra flute.   I have worked through a lot of the exercises which are good.  Not done it for a while because I am not trying scales