#1 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1912 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 25 October 2019 - 15:09

I'm looking for a new swab for my clarinet.  Over the years I've tried a variety of microfibre and cotton ones, but haven't yet found one that I'm satisfied with (none of them seem to absorb very well).  I recently bought one online that turns out to be way too thick to go through the instrument, so I'm on the search again.

I'm tempted by a silk one by Howarth but the tape looks very short compared with a different one by Vandoren.  I'm sure it must be OK if Howarth are selling it, but has anyone got any feedback on the silk one, or can anyone recommend an alternative?

#2 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 25 October 2019 - 16:51

I’m not a clarinettist, but I have a BG micro fibre pull through cleaning swab for my flute. I’ve seen that they also do a clarinet version. It’s super absorbent and, generally, cleans my flute out in one go. Would really recommend them. Just google BG clarinet cleaning swab and it brings up loads of links (wanted to add a link, but it never seems to work for me!)

#3 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 25 October 2019 - 17:33

The best clarinet swabs I've had have been simple cotton ones, like cotton handkerchief material.  I've found them to be the most absorbent when pulled through the clarinet slowly.  

I have a Buffet microfibre one that came with my latest clarinet and it absorbs absolutely nothing; the beads of water just sit on it after I've pulled it through the clarinet, and the clarinet is still damp.  It's pretty hopeless.  I've never tried a silk one, but on googling "is silk absorbent", the search result stated that silk repels water rather than absorbing it, so I'm not sure how good that would be.

#4 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1912 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 20:21

Thanks for the recommendation, gemmasue, and for checking into silk absorbency, hammer action.  I've ordered the BG one and the reviews are good as well. :fingersCrossed:

#5 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6731 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 25 October 2019 - 21:15

If you ever wash a microfibre cloth, don't use fabric conditioner.  That makes them less absorbant, and generally makes microfibre clothes pretty rubbish at whatever you were using them for (in my case, I have several gazillion for cleaning spectacles and camera lenses!)

#6 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1912 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 15:43

Thanks for the recommendation, gemmasue, and for checking into silk absorbency, hammer action.  I've ordered the BG one and the reviews are good as well. :fingersCrossed:

Just to report back that I'm really pleased with the BG one.  It's the first one I've had since I started learning the clarinet many years ago that properly soaks up the water and what's more, feels pleasant to the touch (some microfibre cloths set my teeth on edge for some reason).  Thanks again for the recommendation, gemmasue, and I can fully recommend it too. :clarinet:

#7 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 28 November 2019 - 22:45

Just to report back that I'm really pleased with the BG one.  It's the first one I've had since I started learning the clarinet many years ago that properly soaks up the water and what's more, feels pleasant to the touch (some microfibre cloths set my teeth on edge for some reason).  Thanks again for the recommendation, gemmasue, and I can fully recommend it too. :clarinet:

I use the BG microfibre swab for my clarinet too and love it (about the only one my local music shop actually does; that one and a helin one). I also use pad savers as I only use my clarinet at band and don't have time to pull the swab through the clarinet.