RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 13 September 2021 - 16:55

Are all organ exams private visits or is there any kind of register you can join to match you up with other organ candidates? I have a single candidate who isn't playing organ but has a special reason to want an organ not a piano present. Special circumstances people are ok with it in principle but now I have to find a venue with an organ and I know nobody who plays one. Alternatively, a venue which has an electronic piano in the exam room which can make a non-piano sound, either instead or additional to the piano. Don't know where to start!

#2 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15177 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 13 September 2021 - 21:42

Are all organ exams private visits or is there any kind of register you can join to match you up with other organ candidates? I have a single candidate who isn't playing organ but has a special reason to want an organ not a piano present. Special circumstances people are ok with it in principle but now I have to find a venue with an organ and I know nobody who plays one. Alternatively, a venue which has an electronic piano in the exam room which can make a non-piano sound, either instead or additional to the piano. Don't know where to start!

Is there a local organists' association?

OH belongs to a couple - I'm sure they'd be able to help.

Alternatively, contact local churches.

:)

#3 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2195 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:03

Are all organ exams private visits or is there any kind of register you can join to match you up with other organ candidates? I have a single candidate who isn't playing organ but has a special reason to want an organ not a piano present.

I don't know the reason for such a request, but if it is something to do with the instrument on which the examiner plays the aural tests, you should be aware that a piano is normally used for the aural tests of organ candidates, if one is available in the church being used. I don't know if an examiner would be willing to use the organ instead, especially if he or she is not an organist. Something to do with treating all candidates as equally as possible, I presume.