maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20545 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 03 September 2021 - 13:08

Has anyone played any / either of the instruments at Worth crematorium in the past year or so ? 

The website tells me there is a ‘digital piano / organ available in each chapel’ but so far that’s all I’ve been able to find out. 

I’m guessing this is likely to be a single instrument in each case, rather than a decent example of either. 

If anyone can add anything to this I’d be very grateful. 

#2 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:01

I think you are more likely to get a response from the UK organists and choirmasters facebook group

#3 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20545 posts
  • S E England

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:59

Thanks, musicalmalc - I think you may be right!  

A phone call direct to the venue didn’t get far, just ‘ it’s an organ’, apparently with ‘some pedals’.  

However, for the moment, it seems I may not be required to play.  Family have come up with three choices of CD track, and we feel a fourth piece would be too much. So I’m taking a back seat for now - but ready to act if necessary. 

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18986 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:16

Also FB Group 'Pipeline Community of Organists'

#5 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2195 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:46

A phone call direct to the venue didn’t get far, just ‘ it’s an organ’, apparently with ‘some pedals’.  

However, for the moment, it seems I may not be required to play.  Family have come up with three choices of CD track, and we feel a fourth piece would be too much. So I’m taking a back seat for now - but ready to act if necessary. 

Certainly a good thing to check. I shall never forget being asked to play the organ for a colleague's wedding many years ago. I didn't check, and found on arrival that the chapel of the (now defunct) teacher training college they had chosen was equipped with some sort of Bon Tempi electronic monstrosity with a one octave straight pedal board, and a half width upper manual that didn't descend below middle C. The happy couple were most distraught to hear that there was no chance of Widor's Toccata for the recessional. If I remember correctly, a rather oddly registered version of Jeremiah Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary was the best that could be managed. :o

#6 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20545 posts
  • S E England

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:27

Hildegard - yes indeed!  I have several organist friends I could ask directly - but the downgrading of instruments and the doing - away with crem organists is such a sore point with most, I have resisted that route.  That the general enquiry about ‘ what kind of instrument is it?’ met with such a limited response from the crem office is I guess testament to all this. 

If I find the music has been re-thought, I will ask on fb, and will need to visit Worth to see what’s there. 

#7 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15177 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 08 September 2021 - 21:56

I am told it is a 'perfectly OK' 2-manual electronic.

:)

#8 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6978 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:46

Certainly a good thing to check. I shall never forget being asked to play the organ for a colleague's wedding many years ago. I didn't check, and found on arrival that the chapel of the (now defunct) teacher training college they had chosen was equipped with some sort of Bon Tempi electronic monstrosity with a one octave straight pedal board, and a half width upper manual that didn't descend below middle C. The happy couple were most distraught to hear that there was no chance of Widor's Toccata for the recessional. If I remember correctly, a rather oddly registered version of Jeremiah Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary was the best that could be managed. :o

Even if you know what kind of organ it is, you can't be prepared for all eventualities. Mr Hedgehog agreed to play for a friend's wedding many years ago. He knew the kind of pipe organ it was. Happy days.  

We arrived to find the organ pipes stuffed behind a very thick wall in the small church so that the joys of Widor's Toccata were rather muted and there was nothing we could do about it!

#9 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:26

Hmmm - had a call yesterday; could I play for a wedding blessing on a Friday (wouldn't normally be available but as it happens it's the same day as the funeral for my best friend's mother so was already thinking of taking the day off), Clarke's Trumpet Tune in, hymns and then Widor Toccata out (which actually rules me out as I can't play it!).

However - the pipe organ is currently unusable (blower kaput) and no chance of it being fixed in time (they don't know if they will actually repair or admit defeat and start looking at digital replacements, no loss as the pipe organ is awful and barely speaks into the small nave) - there is a piano with an organ sound available!!!

How the news of the organ's unplayable condition hasn't reached the couple neither the regular organist nor myself could fathom but he is going to contact them to explain the situation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Organ, piano