#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 01 August 2021 - 20:02

Having not listened to this piece of music in a few years, I found it on youtbe and watche it and it was gorgeous.    I grew up listening to this piece of music.  My parents had it on a vinyl record when I was about 8 and when they played it I thought it was so lovely.

:happyviolin:  :clarinet:  :flute:  :harp:

Hope you like it as much as me  

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18933 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:13

Not a favourite of mine, its played far too much on Classic FM and it bores me silly.   Classic FM is guilty of overplaying quite a few popular works,  but they are much more enjoyable when heard less frequently.   

#3 EllieD

EllieD

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:12

I agree with adultpianist. I literally don't think Scheherazade could be overplayed for me! Great piece of music! Though I don't listen to Classic FM so haven't put my hypothesis to the test!

#4 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2150 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:58

Classic FM is guilty of overplaying quite a few popular works,  but they are much more enjoyable when heard less frequently.   

They wouldn't need to repeat items so frrequently if they more often played complete pieces rather than excerpts: second movement of a concerto, third movement of a symphony, just two dances from a suite, a few bars from Britten's Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Purcell, and so on. It's rather like getting only the second act of King Lear, the third chapter of Mansfield Park or seeing just the left hand side of the Mona Lisa.

I don't think much of the presenters, either: the horrible smugness and faux bon homie of Alexander Armstrong ("so wonderful to be with you this morning"), the constant name dropping of David Mellor (who would have us believe that every known conductor drops in for dinner with the Mellors whenever in London), and the hapless inaccuracies of Alan Titchmarsh.

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4550 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 02 August 2021 - 13:35

I really like Classic FM but then my car journeys are usually short so I wouldn’t have time for all the movements of a concerto. I think it makes listening to Classical music much more appealing to newbies to have presenters like Alexander Armstrong and Alan Titchmarsh getting away from what some would consider stuffy presenters on other channels. There’s a lot of variety in the programmes too from whole works to film themes and surely the request programme reflects what their listeners want. I’m a great fan of the channel. 

#6 storminateacup

storminateacup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 900120

Posted 02 August 2021 - 14:39

I think I got to know this as a kid from a story tape of Swiss Family Robinson where it was used as incidental music.

For another unplanned encounter, a short sample of it turns up on The Great Eastern by underrated Glasgow indie band The Delgados.

#7 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2150 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 16:09

I think I got to know this as a kid from a story tape of Swiss Family Robinson where it was used as incidental music.

For another unplanned encounter, a short sample of it turns up on The Great Eastern by underrated Glasgow indie band The Delgados.

I thought William Alwyn wrote the score for Swiss Family Robinson? Perhaps this was a different production, but it's difficult to see how a tone poem about the Middle Eastern collection of tales known as the One Thousand and One Nights would relate to the story of a family fleeing to New Guinea to escape the Napoleonic wars.

#8 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2150 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 16:14

I really like Classic FM but then my car journeys are usually short so I wouldn’t have time for all the movements of a concerto.

I see the problem, but multi-movement works were never intended to be "pick 'n' mix" selections. I would find the composer's musical journey inherant in a three-movement concerto ruined by not being complete - as I said, it would be like hearing just one act of a play or seeing just one part of a painting.

I think it makes listening to Classical music much more appealing to newbies to have presenters like Alexander Armstrong and Alan Titchmarsh getting away from what some would consider stuffy presenters on other channels.

Ah, I didn't realise that Classic FM is intended for newbies to classical music. Perhaps that's why I don't much like it. Even so, it must be very difficult for a beginner to understand a single movement taken out of context.

#9 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 02 August 2021 - 19:02

I am listening to it again.   If anyone who watches the video, do you notice one of the clarinet female players who keeps leaning forward to read her score?   Also when other instruments are playing she is seen to be fiddling with her instrument holding it up to her face lol

#10 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15160 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 02 August 2021 - 21:41

I love the piece.   Redolent of times past.

:wub:

#11 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4550 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:38

Gosh, I feel like a very inferior being liking Classic FM. I’m perfectly happy to hear one movement of a work. Just as sometimes people read a passage from a book especially at many weddings I play for. I know if my sons hear something they enjoy on Classic FM, they will explore the composer and find the whole work or other works by them. So maybe it is best for newbies and people like me!

#12 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2150 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 06:41

ClassicFM does often broadcast a complete work in the evenings and there they are quite enterprising in featuring lesser known works: Schubert 2 yesterday, for instance, and Tchaikovsky's 2nd piano concerto one day last week. But most of the time they go for excerpts and short works, almost certainly so they can interrupt the music with adverts at frequent intervals. It unfortunately gives a very unbalanced impression to anyone - beginners or not - to keep hearing the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Synphony, for example, without hardly ever hearing the other four movements, or to have endless repetitions of The Swan without hearing any of the other 13 delightful movements of The Carnival of the Animals.

#13 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20515 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:03

Yes, I find the ‘one movement’ thing irritating - although I accept it may introduce people to some kinds of music that they would n’t otherwise explore.  And yes - the evening concerts are often very good indeed - a recent week featured the Royal Scottish with some excellent performances. I think in fact the Tchaikovsky concerto mentioned above was one of those - really was most enjoyable.

I find their ‘Hall of Fame’ thing annoying in the extreme - and their claim that they play ‘the World’s Most Popular Music’ - no, it’s a very, very  tiny percentage of it! 

Does anyone else enjoy the Saturday evening Film music programme? Andrew Collins comes across well - one of the more listenable presenters imho.

(eta apologies to AP - the thread seems to have veered into a discussion on CFM!) 

In reply to the original question - I quite like Scheherezade (that took some spelling before coffee) - but I don’t always want to hear just the same excerpt of it. 

#14 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6324 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:53

I am listening to it again.   If anyone who watches the video, do you notice one of the clarinet female players who keeps leaning forward to read her score?   Also when other instruments are playing she is seen to be fiddling with her instrument holding it up to her face lol

She just moves a lot. As for fiddling with the instrument I guess she's checking for/clearing water under the keys.

#15 EllieD

EllieD

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:03

Gosh, I feel like a very inferior being liking Classic FM. I’m perfectly happy to hear one movement of a work. Just as sometimes people read a passage from a book especially at many weddings I play for. I know if my sons hear something they enjoy on Classic FM, they will explore the composer and find the whole work or other works by them. So maybe it is best for newbies and people like me!

Anyone else read Berlioz's Memoirs? He'd often put on concerts with one or two movements taken from his and others' symphonies. OK, these were often for concerts for particular celebrations and so on, but at the end of the day, he had to put bread on the table and making music accessible to all is the way forward. I don't know if other composers were absolute sticklers for insisting their music was played either all the way through, or not at all, but Berlioz was obviously OK with that not always being the case.