Photo

new year target - pulse and rhythm - any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:00

I know we are not quite there yet, but I feel I must work on my pulse and rhythm in 2022. I am not bad (I got a merit at grade 7) but I need tons more practice to be able to deal with p and r confidently on sight and most of all, reliably and consistently. Does anyone know of any good materials out there that I could begin with? I have recently taken up bass clarinet and sometimes play on the bass end, which is much more about keeping the beat and pulse going than anything fancy (as in the first clarinets).  I  had wondered about percussion materials. What do people think? Any ideas gratefully received!

Maruja

#2 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:45

Posting to follow as I have the same problem.

One thing that helped me recently was a frame drum lesson and playing the drum with people who could actually keep to time.

#3 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:58

I looked at your question for ages before making my suggestions because I am nowhere near the dizzy heights of grade 7 on anything , but also because I think the right answer will depend on how good you are already.

But here goes...
The Rhythm Bible by Dan Fox is pages and pages of rhythm exercises that goes from very easy to complex syncopated dance rhythms. The cd (which sometimes comes with the book and sometimes has to be bought separately) is a bit of a let-down because it contains only the first exercise in each set, not the full page, but the book itself is good.

#4 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Yorkshire

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:11

Then I was also going to say you can't beat lessons with a live human, even if they are Zooming, but was interrupted and AdLibitum beat me to it.

#5 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 15:19

Thank you both. I will investigate the Rhythm Bible (on Alibris and Abebooks!) and 
Ad Libitum seems to agree that percussion is the way forward....

#6 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Yorkshire

Posted 15 December 2021 - 20:23

This website: sightreadingfactory.com might be useful, although I'm not sure how much help it would be for pulse, as opposed to rhythm. Anyway, as with all these sites there's a generous and fun to play with free preview, but for full functionality an annual sub is required.

#7 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 20:43

Thank you for the resources, Dotty! :)

#8 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 20:55

Thank you both. I will investigate the Rhythm Bible (on Alibris and Abebooks!) and

And good old-fashioned clapping and stomping/walking too, in my experience.

#9 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1855 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 15 December 2021 - 21:08

And good old-fashioned clapping and stomping/walking too, in my experience.

Dancing! Much more fun! Any style with a strict pulse - ballroom for the steady pulse; Latin for syncopation and off beat stuff, Irish step or Tap for amazing complex rhythms within a strict pulse ... and you get fit!

#10 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Yorkshire

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:00

More ideas:

Dalcroze eurythmics
Body percussion

#11 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 14:11

All this sounds marvellous! But I wonder actually if my problem lies therein... It might be more to do with interpreting what I see on the page... eg. I have just been looking at a Keri Degg Celtic Collage piece. It is in three/four - the first couple of bars are a crochet and four quavers, the next bar is two dotted crotchets and the next three crotchets. It took a while to get this into my head, which I did by counting in six. This worked but is a bit clunky. I want to be able to do it on the fly. It may be about accustoming myself to different styles of music or even building up a portfolio of different rhythmic combinations. Does the Rhythm Bible do this?

M

#12 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Yorkshire

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:25

Re:Rhythm Bible. You can 'look inside the book' on Amazon. It's a generous no of pages, including contents, intro and some of the pages of exercises.

#13 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Yorkshire

Posted 16 December 2021 - 18:27

But basically answer to your question is yes.

#14 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20625 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 13 January 2022 - 19:31

How’s it going, Maruja ?  Anything to share ? 

#15 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 16:57

Thanks for asking Maggiemay! Well, I bought the Rhythm Bible (second hand, so I was pleased) and am working my way through it. I actually think I don't have too much of a problem - or maybe no worse than the general amateur out there. Maybe I expect too much - thinking that I can just sight read rhythm without making any mistakes or making much effort.... I absolutely try now to go through new music (or even old music) before I start to play, working out awkward bars and notes. My default attitude is just to pick up my instrument and go for it and work it out as I go along and I just wonder how many pros/profis out there do that? You for instance, Maggiemay, I see that you have lots of music degrees and teaching experience. Would you expect just to be able to 'do it' on sight? I would be really interested to know...

M