Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 06 April 2021 - 14:57

One of my bug bears as a cellist is the lack of opportunities to play chamber music. There is a huge string repertoire, from trios, quartets, quintets, for just strings, to groups with piano, flute, oboe etc.

I've never managed to really find people to be able to play chamber music with on a regular basis. The nearest I got was when I was in a community orchestra and a few of us did play for a while, but that was 7 or 8 years ago now.

There is an annual chamber music day near Chester which I have been to, but that's obviously not happened the last two years.

So, you think "I'll sign-up for weekends/summer schools". Wrong. Just about every course I've seen is for 'pre-formed groups only'.

Some arts venues have started e-mailing out about courses resuming later this year. Wind chamber music? Fine - just specified grade level. Strings? Pre-formed groups only.

I've wanted to play chamber music ever since I started playing cello.

I give up.  

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4473 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 06 April 2021 - 16:27

I don't know what your budget is (and I think it said this year is booked up) but it might be worth keeping this one in mind.  https://nantwen.co.u...-summer-school/

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4473 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 06 April 2021 - 16:36

Further afield - http://winchestersum...pplication.html

https://benslowmusic.org/?PageID=2558

#4 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:40

Oh please don't give up! I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but the endless complaint of the baroque solo instrument player is that half the repertoire requires a viol-or-cello + harpsichord-or-similar, with the viol-or-cello being super-vital and often musically the equal of the melody line. I am quite certain that the problem is one of introductions: for every cellist out there, there is someone who wishes they knew a cellist, but neither has worked out how to find the other.

#5 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 April 2021 - 20:05

I don't know what your budget is (and I think it said this year is booked up) but it might be worth keeping this one in mind.  https://nantwen.co.u...-summer-school/

Thanks for that - I think I've come across that one before but missed it due to clashes with other things in the past. 

#6 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 April 2021 - 20:10

Thanks fro those - I'd not come across the Winchester one before. 

#7 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 April 2021 - 20:12

Oh please don't give up! I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but the endless complaint of the baroque solo instrument player is that half the repertoire requires a viol-or-cello + harpsichord-or-similar, with the viol-or-cello being super-vital and often musically the equal of the melody line. I am quite certain that the problem is one of introductions: for every cellist out there, there is someone who wishes they knew a cellist, but neither has worked out how to find the other.

You're probably right. I'm definitely up for being cellist of bass viol player (I am sadly rather rusty on viol now as I was struggling to find anyone to play consort music with). I live in an area which is rather thinly populated when it comes to musical activities.   

#8 Jigging Along

Jigging Along

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 900148

Posted 10 April 2021 - 20:00

Have you tried advertising for interested musicians?  Perhaps you have, sorry if I've missed it.   But if not:  online - places like gumtree and local FB groups; and when things open up again - a card on the board in your local music shop and local library.   Maybe also asking directors of local choirs and orchestras, who would likely have musical friends in the area, who might know people etc.  

#9 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:30

Have you tried advertising for interested musicians?  Perhaps you have, sorry if I've missed it.   But if not:  online - places like gumtree and local FB groups; and when things open up again - a card on the board in your local music shop and local library.   Maybe also asking directors of local choirs and orchestras, who would likely have musical friends in the area, who might know people etc.

:) my nearest music shop is 25 miles away in Shrewsbury. There’s a luthier there, might see what he does.